Who is/was military? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Who is/was military?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #16
firefighter1

1969--19 yr old hippie--drafted--did not want to be there, but toughed it out. Tour of VN(25th INF) Lessons learned have served me well, knowing that I can handle anything that's put in front of me. Go for it and good luck!!!

firefighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #17
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Naval Aviator.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Active duty Army for the past 20 years. Best move I ever made. Lifelong friendships and lots of unique experiences that have made me a better person. No matter what branch you join, you'll be a better person for having served.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #19
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Usmc 1988-1993 Desert Storm.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
algoesfast

US army 3/8th field artillery Desert shield/storm. I had a alot of fun and anger. When you see those commericals of soldiers in the swamp up to their neck and they look bad a.. it seems so cool. Until its about 38 degrees and its raining and you are standing thier like an idiot waiting for the trainging op to begin. Or in the desert never getting to sleep for more than 5 hours at a time due to guard duty. And it being hot as all get out and flies that won't leave you alone. Even with all those bad memories I still wouldn't trade that time for anything. Something about carring an M-16/M-60 that is priceless. I still miss my weapon and its been years. I just wanted to mention the bad points of any service. Alot of times its not cool or fun.
algoesfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
JeepinFL

USAF from '86 to '91
Framboost(free)
JeepinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #22
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
I actually did some training with the SF guys. I can tell you even getting accepted (for enlisted guys anyway) is not a simple task. Completing the training is a whole different set of challenges. Be forewarned, the Special Forces are tactics instructors, sometimes called military advisors. If you want to really trade bullets with bad guys and do some serious stuff, the Ranger Battalions get to be the first group in from the Army. As others have said, look into all special operations groups. I am of the opinion any of them will put you at the top of the Badass scale.

Thanks for considering service to your country, there is no more honorable profession, and it will be something you never regret.
He's correct here. If you want to be bad ***, look into Special Forces Operational Detatchment Delta. You have to be Airborne qualified to even get an invitation though, so go through jump school on your way to your 1st duty station. I met a few operators (they refer to themsleves as "Civilian DoD contractors") in my few years at Bragg. They are the most mellow guys that I've ever seen. You really couldn't get them riled up if you tried.
Unread 06-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #23
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1
1969--19 yr old hippie--drafted--did not want to be there, but toughed it out. Tour of VN(25th INF) Lessons learned have served me well, knowing that I can handle anything that's put in front of me. Go for it and good luck!!!
Tropic Lightning!
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #24
firefighter1

Patton-Never made Schofield barracks-Early Out at end of tour,But did return to Vietnam this past October
firefighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #25
Varkyl
No where near stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Naval Aviator.

Hunter
What are you doing flying your belly button?

former USAF enlisted. I would not trade my time in, for anything.
If you are looking to get SF you need to be very fit and need to be able to swim very well. When I was in basic I trying out for combat control/Para-rescue but my swimming wasn't strong enough to even go to the second round.

Thank you and good luck.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #26
joeyprice

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have a very good friend that is going thru the SFAS right now. SF officers are Captains, so you'd be a couple years off. I can't call Kenny right now, but from what I can remember from him, you can't branch SF initially as an officer He went thru Airborne and Ranger school, then did a year in Afghanistan before he applied. There is an enlistment option that guarantees you a chance to try out (not get selected), but of course you wouldn't be an officer then.

Joey
joeyprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #27
trance_junkie

Thanks for all of the replies. It is something I really want to do, just serve my country in general. But, being an SF officer would just be that much more fun. My buddy just got into ranger school, and I was talking to him about OCS, and he said most soldiers look down upon it because of the fact that you become an officer and didnt entirely earn it. I think I will go through with it, but I just need to get out of college, get my degree first.
2002 TJ 'X' 4.0L 5-Speed D30/35 [COLOR=Yellow]Solar Yellow[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][I]Teraflx, Airaid, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 15x8 d-windows, Raingler, Bestop, Nth Degree OPS, Kilby bumper and steering skid
AZVJC[url]www.virtualjeepclub.com[/url][url]www.sosnws.com[/url]
[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]
05 Cummins Ram 3500 4wd QC - edge juice w/ attitude, dr perf. predator, Airaid, mbrp dual 4", b&w trnovr+5th wheel,ranch hand bumper
1995 Cummins Ram 3/4 4wd-skyjacker, 35" bfg km mt,ai raid, no muffler, injectors, thunderstruck bumper,flatbed w/ welder etc
trance_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #28
ragweed13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Easiest way to get into the SF world is to join a different service than the Army. I am a TACP in the Air Force, which means I control air strikes for the Army, and every Army unit, from tank battalion to Ranger to Special Forces group, need our services. I am not a full time anything, but get whored out (for lack of a better term) to anyone who needs us, whenever, where ever.
Unread 06-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #29
AZSahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

USAF, 1983-2003, retired as a LtCol. Best years of my life and if I could change anything I would do it all over again!
AZSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #30
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed13
Easiest way to get into the SF world is to join a different service than the Army. I am a TACP in the Air Force, which means I control air strikes for the Army, and every Army unit, from tank battalion to Ranger to Special Forces group, need our services. I am not a full time anything, but get whored out (for lack of a better term) to anyone who needs us, whenever, where ever.
I always wanted to be a Para-Medic, but I have a serious fear of drowning and I'm not a very strong swimmer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.