Who is/was military? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Who is/was military?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
trance_junkie

Who is/was military?

I am currently in college, a couple years left. However, my questions is whether or not I want to go through into civilian life, or go military. I would ideally love to be an SF officer. Realistically, how hard is it to become special forces? I know it would help that I have a degree for sure. I am just trying to get a feel, considering our nations current war time status, if it would be a good idea to join. What are your thoughts.

Josh

2002 TJ 'X' 4.0L 5-Speed D30/35 [COLOR=Yellow]Solar Yellow[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][I]Teraflx, Airaid, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 15x8 d-windows, Raingler, Bestop, Nth Degree OPS, Kilby bumper and steering skid
AZVJC[url]www.virtualjeepclub.com[/url][url]www.sosnws.com[/url]
[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]
05 Cummins Ram 3500 4wd QC - edge juice w/ attitude, dr perf. predator, Airaid, mbrp dual 4", b&w trnovr+5th wheel,ranch hand bumper
1995 Cummins Ram 3/4 4wd-skyjacker, 35" bfg km mt,ai raid, no muffler, injectors, thunderstruck bumper,flatbed w/ welder etc
trance_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
cyclic17
1981 CJ7 

Right now, the Army is having a hard time keeping SF guys in, because they can join the civilian sector doing security work and make 3x the money.

The hardest part about SF is all of the initial training---very high washout rate.

Call your local recruiter for answers. (Just don't give him your #!!!)
*'81.5 CJ7, D300, T-5, 258ci, 4" BDS lift, 33 's on 15x10 Bajas, Narrowed Waggy D44 Front, Scout D44 rear w/ARB locker, Not-so-Painless Wiring Harness, Warn 8274, Borla Headers, MC2100 carb, Shrockworks sliders, KC's, Full cage

*RIP: '88 Comanche Chief, stock except for KC lights on rollbar and custom stereo.
cyclic17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had 4 years of jumping out of planes, blowing stuff away with big a** machine guns and playing with explosives. How is that not cool?

I also learned discipline and what true brotherhood is. I had never had someone in my life that I would die for without thought. I also never had anyone in my life that would do the same for me. I wouldn't trade those four years for anything. I'll do it again in the next life too.
Unread 06-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Colo Commanche

Former Ranger, three tours VN, Sgt E-6, I 75th Iron Rangers, BRO...
Colo Commanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
HuntingForDeer

If you can make it through the training it will change your life.
The training for any elite squad in the US military is tough, and will test you to the limits.
You can do it, just go for it and don't quit, even when you think you can't handle another day.
You will be glad you did later, instead of spending your life wondering if you could have.
I would suggest you try for a SEAL unit in the Navy if you really want to test yourself. You get to learn a LOT of different stuff.
LOD rear bumper and tire carrier. AME Brute Force CAI and throttle body spacer
Kenwood head unit, 5 1/4 Infinitys up front, 5 1/4 Alpines in roll bar, Alpine 450 watt amp pushing 10" Infinity sub.
Nickelback in the CD player most of the time[/SIZE].
HuntingForDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
CunningLinguist

Rangers lead the way...to the drive thru

He must of sampled every McDonalds in every combatzone since somalia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think all people should spend at least one tour. The experience will mature you quickly. Right now with our he who would be king It's probably not the safest choice you'll make.
I joined the Coast Guard 27 years ago. I had offers from all the services but I wanted to do something, not train for war.
I've fought fires on ships at sea, saved lives, tried but didn't save lives, traveled around the world training other countries search and rescue teams, sailed in the americas battle group (probably as a torpedoe sponge), conducted bordings, stopped smugglers, dealt with migrants from Haiti,Cuba and China. And now I travel from Lisbon to Wyoming North to South conducting compliance inspections and training.
I'VE LOVED MY CAREER!
Yes I'm not a Ranger or a Seal and I really repect those people. But You go out into the north sea on a little white boat in the middle of a winter noreaster taking 42+ degree rolls to save some boat that shouldn't have been there in the first place. That takes serious guts...or brain damage, I'm not sure.

The services will give you training and education you'll get no where else. The pay really sux at first, but if you apply yourself it evens out after a while.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
DrlSgt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Prior Service

I was an Army DrlSgt.....

DrlSgt
Red Jeep Club member #371
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #57
DrlSgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
IH8MUD

Former Marine, 1980-1986
IH8MUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

I actually did some training with the SF guys. I can tell you even getting accepted (for enlisted guys anyway) is not a simple task. Completing the training is a whole different set of challenges. Be forewarned, the Special Forces are tactics instructors, sometimes called military advisors. If you want to really trade bullets with bad guys and do some serious stuff, the Ranger Battalions get to be the first group in from the Army. As others have said, look into all special operations groups. I am of the opinion any of them will put you at the top of the Badass scale.

Thanks for considering service to your country, there is no more honorable profession, and it will be something you never regret.
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Former Air Force (Chair Force to some ) and I wouldn't trade my time in the military for the world. Great training, camaraderie, benefits, life experiences, and pride that would be hard to earn/obtain anywhere else.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #12
smeach

Current Air Force since 1992. Have enjoyed everyday of it since day one.
smeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #13
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not in, but I'm going to join the Air Force in about six months, when I get back from my internship in London. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can fit graduate school around it. If you already have your bachelor's degree, you can go straight into officer training. If the OCS guys don't want you, then go the regular enlistment route.
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:56 AM   #14
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

There is a lot more to joining a SF group than passing the Q course. You need to be in top physical condition, and be able to speak a second language. Many troops meet these criteria and still arn't selected to a group. There are alternates to this as well. As stated above, the Rangers are the Shock troops of the army. The Air Force has an elite Para rescue unit. There are also BTN recon pltoons that have a lot more independence than the usuall line unit. If your idea is to do a tour in a combat zone, then there is plenty of that to go around. The military is paying top dollar for new recruits. If collage is in your future, then you could pay for it in about a year of overseas duty( if you become an O, then the army will pay for it). My suggestion is if you want to join the military, pick a job that will carry over into your long term civilian interests. If you are unsure of what you want to do, then join the National Guard. They offer great collage tuition programs, there is plenty of oportunity to travel, and if you like it, you can allways transfer over to the active side of the house.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 02:24 AM   #15
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

CUrrent Navy, I love it, but of my group of really close friends theres only 1 other that plans to stay in besides me, I guess if you like the lifestyle you'll love it, if not you can always get out after your 4-5.
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.