JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Military Jeepers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/)
-   -   Who is/was military? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/who-military-286295/)

trance_junkie 06-23-2006 02:12 PM

Who is/was military?

I am currently in college, a couple years left. However, my questions is whether or not I want to go through into civilian life, or go military. I would ideally love to be an SF officer. Realistically, how hard is it to become special forces? I know it would help that I have a degree for sure. I am just trying to get a feel, considering our nations current war time status, if it would be a good idea to join. What are your thoughts.

Josh

cyclic17 06-23-2006 02:23 PM

Right now, the Army is having a hard time keeping SF guys in, because they can join the civilian sector doing security work and make 3x the money.

The hardest part about SF is all of the initial training---very high washout rate.

Call your local recruiter for answers. (Just don't give him your #!!!)

Matt Gertsch 06-23-2006 02:28 PM

I had 4 years of jumping out of planes, blowing stuff away with big a** machine guns and playing with explosives. How is that not cool?

I also learned discipline and what true brotherhood is. I had never had someone in my life that I would die for without thought. I also never had anyone in my life that would do the same for me. I wouldn't trade those four years for anything. I'll do it again in the next life too.

Colo Commanche 06-23-2006 02:32 PM

Former Ranger, three tours VN, Sgt E-6, I 75th Iron Rangers, BRO...

HuntingForDeer 06-23-2006 03:27 PM

If you can make it through the training it will change your life.
The training for any elite squad in the US military is tough, and will test you to the limits.
You can do it, just go for it and don't quit, even when you think you can't handle another day.
You will be glad you did later, instead of spending your life wondering if you could have.
I would suggest you try for a SEAL unit in the Navy if you really want to test yourself. You get to learn a LOT of different stuff.

CunningLinguist 06-23-2006 03:29 PM

http://www.oman4x4.com/albums/mike/internetshalo.jpg

Rangers lead the way...to the drive thru

He must of sampled every McDonalds in every combatzone since somalia.

vadslram 06-23-2006 07:40 PM

I think all people should spend at least one tour. The experience will mature you quickly. Right now with our he who would be king It's probably not the safest choice you'll make.
I joined the Coast Guard 27 years ago. I had offers from all the services but I wanted to do something, not train for war.
I've fought fires on ships at sea, saved lives, tried but didn't save lives, traveled around the world training other countries search and rescue teams, sailed in the americas battle group (probably as a torpedoe sponge), conducted bordings, stopped smugglers, dealt with migrants from Haiti,Cuba and China. And now I travel from Lisbon to Wyoming North to South conducting compliance inspections and training.
I'VE LOVED MY CAREER!
Yes I'm not a Ranger or a Seal and I really repect those people. But You go out into the north sea on a little white boat in the middle of a winter noreaster taking 42+ degree rolls to save some boat that shouldn't have been there in the first place. That takes serious guts...or brain damage, I'm not sure.

The services will give you training and education you'll get no where else. The pay really sux at first, but if you apply yourself it evens out after a while.

DrlSgt 06-23-2006 10:07 PM

Prior Service

I was an Army DrlSgt.....

DrlSgt

IH8MUD 06-23-2006 10:14 PM

Former Marine, 1980-1986

Bgeddes 06-23-2006 10:28 PM

I actually did some training with the SF guys. I can tell you even getting accepted (for enlisted guys anyway) is not a simple task. Completing the training is a whole different set of challenges. Be forewarned, the Special Forces are tactics instructors, sometimes called military advisors. If you want to really trade bullets with bad guys and do some serious stuff, the Ranger Battalions get to be the first group in from the Army. As others have said, look into all special operations groups. I am of the opinion any of them will put you at the top of the Badass scale.

Thanks for considering service to your country, there is no more honorable profession, and it will be something you never regret.

Jerry Bransford 06-23-2006 11:05 PM

Former Air Force (Chair Force to some ;) ) and I wouldn't trade my time in the military for the world. Great training, camaraderie, benefits, life experiences, and pride that would be hard to earn/obtain anywhere else.

smeach 06-24-2006 01:30 AM

Current Air Force since 1992. Have enjoyed everyday of it since day one.

PDX_XJ 06-24-2006 01:49 AM

I'm not in, but I'm going to join the Air Force in about six months, when I get back from my internship in London. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can fit graduate school around it. If you already have your bachelor's degree, you can go straight into officer training. If the OCS guys don't want you, then go the regular enlistment route.

jeepdaddy2000 06-24-2006 01:56 AM

There is a lot more to joining a SF group than passing the Q course. You need to be in top physical condition, and be able to speak a second language. Many troops meet these criteria and still arn't selected to a group. There are alternates to this as well. As stated above, the Rangers are the Shock troops of the army. The Air Force has an elite Para rescue unit. There are also BTN recon pltoons that have a lot more independence than the usuall line unit. If your idea is to do a tour in a combat zone, then there is plenty of that to go around. The military is paying top dollar for new recruits. If collage is in your future, then you could pay for it in about a year of overseas duty( if you become an O, then the army will pay for it). My suggestion is if you want to join the military, pick a job that will carry over into your long term civilian interests. If you are unsure of what you want to do, then join the National Guard. They offer great collage tuition programs, there is plenty of oportunity to travel, and if you like it, you can allways transfer over to the active side of the house.

GroundClearance 06-24-2006 02:24 AM

CUrrent Navy, I love it, but of my group of really close friends theres only 1 other that plans to stay in besides me, I guess if you like the lifestyle you'll love it, if not you can always get out after your 4-5.

The time now is 12:17 AM.