USMC and tattoos - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > USMC and tattoos

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

USMC and tattoos

How strict is the USMC with Tattoos? Their site says no bigger then the hand but I have one on my leg that is just slightly larger then my hand. Its a Celtic cross, nothing offensive.

DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

dont worry too much about it, if they wont let u in with that tattoo. then bite the belt and get that thing off
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

Absolutely no tats below the shoulder or below sleeve area on arm. Can't even reenlist with one. Horse **** if you ask me. If the thing is concealed you're fine, esp. if it's a cross. Exposed leg? I dunno about that one. Shouldn't be too big of an issue.
Gniks18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the tattoo policies are for tats that are visible in uniform. Neck, face, arms and hands fall in to this. The leg should be fine.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you should be fine, they got waivers for stuff like that too
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the part of the instruction from the USMC uniform regs:

>CH 5 c. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck are prohibited.. Sleeve tattoos are likewise prohibited. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard physical training gear (t-shirt and shorts) are likewise prohibited. A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an arm or leg above or below the elbow or knee. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited. “Prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit to the Marine Corps” may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-American, anti-social, gang related, or extremist group or organization related.

>CH 5 (1) Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) will be grandfathered. The Marine’s command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine’s service record book. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

>CH 5 (2) The Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs (DC M&RA) is designated as the adjudicating authority for any tattoo issue involving retention or special duty assignments. Review of a questionable tattoo(s) will be submitted to DC M&RA (MM) via the reenlistment, extension, lateral move system (RELMS). The package will include a photograph(s) of the tattoo(s), measurement(s) of the size in inches, description of the location(s) and explanation as to why the tattoo(s) has been deemed questionable by the commander. MARADMIN 198/07

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

Eh, they're pretty stingy about re-enlistment these days. Corps is so fat now that my buddy has already been told if he denies orders to a presumably sh***y duty station (3rd enlistment) he'll get hit with an RE code which essentially prevents him from a 4th enlistment. Point is, this ain't 2006 when grunts were being offered 80k on a reenlistment. They can and will be picky.
Gniks18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When I was recruiting for the Army (2003-2006) Marines got strict on their tattoos. If you could see it in a PT uniform, shorts and t shirt you were a no go. I put a few people in the Army that originally wanted to go Marines but couldn't because of their tattoos.

Not sure if they have changed but when I was Recruiting there would have been a good chance they Marines would turn you away.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
When I was recruiting for the Army (2003-2006) Marines got strict on their tattoos. If you could see it in a PT uniform, shorts and t shirt you were a no go. I put a few people in the Army that originally wanted to go Marines but couldn't because of their tattoos.

Not sure if they have changed but when I was Recruiting there would have been a good chance they Marines would turn you away.
Thats what I'm afraid of.
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

Just get rid of the tat. Then the Marines will probably recruit you
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Haha.. Actually, there's a loophole to this but goodluck figuring it out..
YJLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJLover View Post
Haha.. Actually, there's a loophole to this but goodluck figuring it out..
You are so full of insight and wisdom. Thank you for gracing us with your presence and knowledge.
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
frankenjeep
1994 ZJ 

The leg tat will be fine brother. Most of what the tatoo problems are with the ones you can see while in uniform. When I was in I was stationed at mcas pendelton. That's when old sgt q shot our co in mals 39. That's when all the bs started about the tats. I've heard from recruiters too that you can get waivers too as long at its not obsceen or gang related. For some reason they think that people with tats are gang related
frankenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

It must be different, or more lax once youre in. I've got friends with sleeves. No one seems to care. I'll bring the topic up on Monday.

Hell, come to think of it, an old high school friend runs a recruiting station close to here. You want me to ask him?
0sevenjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0sevenjk View Post
It must be different, or more lax once youre in. I've got friends with sleeves. No one seems to care. I'll bring the topic up on Monday.

Hell, come to think of it, an old high school friend runs a recruiting station close to here. You want me to ask him?
Yes please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.