For those who have been in the military... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > For those who have been in the military...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
KWAG

For those who have been in the military...

I'm just interested... For those who have been in one of the military branches, what did you do when you got out? And what was your position when you served?

1969 Camaro z28 clone
2007 Commander
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
rodneyw71

Went to truck driving school, still drive. I was in Munitions when I was AD, I enlisted in the AF Reserves back in June, this time in Fuels. Was out for 15 years before deciding to go back in....call it a mid-life crisis. lol
rodneyw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was a team leader for a Ground Surveillance team with the 82nd Airborne Division. When I got out, I became one of the least important people in the world. It was pre 9/11 and people didn't appreciate veterans the way they do now.
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was an E-4 in the Air Force when I got out. I fixed instruments and flight controls on fighter jets. I went to school on the side and finished my Bachelor's degree in Electronics. When I left active duty, I went into the Texas Air National Guard and fixed a different jet part time. My full time job was as a field engineer, repairing Uninterruptible Power Supplies. I've been doing that for almost 14 years now and I still love it. The pay is much better also.
Texan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
StvDiego

I was in the Army, AirCav, transferred to the AF, Flight Engineer C-130's, when I got out I become a vodka for breakfast, burrito for lunch, 151 for dinner and beer for dessert alcoholic, long-haired drug-abusing, irresponsible, felonious dope for several years, quite gratifying but unproductive.

Have since become the jack-of-all-trades, master at none. Worked oil rigs in West Texas, auto mech, counselor, sales, lived in a monastery for a few years, legal work, went to college, a whole bunch of other stuff and now I Jeep, also quite gratifying.

x2 with Matt, when I got out after Vietnam, vets were not the favorite sons. Glad these guys are finally getting some respect, they deserve it
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
I'm just interested... For those who have been in one of the military branches, what did you do when you got out?...
Cartwheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
And what was your position when you served?
My position?

Sitting, knees spread wide, head between legs.

So I could kiss my butt goodbye...

I flew right seat in Mohawk OV1 recon aircraft. Unarmed. In Vietnam.

Best duty available anywhere.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette
Cartwheels.

My position?

Sitting, knees spread wide, head between legs.

So I could kiss my butt goodbye...

I flew right seat in Mohawk OV1 recon aircraft. Unarmed. In Vietnam.

Best duty available anywhere.

96B? It probably wasn't called that back then though.
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch

96B? It probably wasn't called that back then though.
17L20

The airforce had the cats in RF 4C's had a motto

Alone, Unarmed and Unafraid

Our motto was

Alone, Unarmed and scared @$#less

We did visuals, camera work, infra red, SLAR, the usual junk run amok. Fly the mission, drop the film off at the intelligence hut and head to the beach.

My lord, what a life!

(Flying into Cam Rahn Bay - "The temperature is 105, the humidity is 100% and the ground fire is light to moderate" )

We did do some close support with the grunts - THOSE guys get a tip of the hat. They were just amazing - I wouldn't have lasted an hour on the ground.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

Unread 10-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
17L20

The airforce had the cats in RF 4C's had a motto

Alone, Unarmed and Unafraid

Our motto was

Alone, Unarmed and scared @$#less

We did visuals, camera work, infra red, SLAR, the usual junk run amok. Fly the mission, drop the film off at the intelligence hut and head to the beach.

My lord, what a life!

(Flying into Cam Rahn Bay - "The temperature is 105, the humidity is 100% and the ground fire is light to moderate" )

We did do some close support with the grunts - THOSE guys get a tip of the hat. They were just amazing - I wouldn't have lasted an hour on the ground.
IIRC, my MOS would have been 17K or 17J in those days.
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

I was in the 82d with Matt, but I worked at the airfield. I was an Avioinics Tech. (35R then 68R). I fixed some counter measures gear (jamming stuff) amongst other stuff. When I got out, I did electronics. Now I do more of an industrial type of electronics/electricity, but pseudo related.

The military is what YOU make of it. Be picky going in, or you'll end up busting your behind for the same pay as a person working 9-5 (like me).

Made E-5 in my 4 year enlistment.
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
IIRC, my MOS would have been 17K or 17J in those days.
http://www.pbase.com/image/45225031

It says "17L" but the full designation was 17L20.

One of the few times in my life that I truly, truly lucked out.

(Apologies to the O.P. - didn't mean to hijack thread with memories older than the O.P. ).

Unread 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

31R - Multichannel transmissions systems operator + maintainer (w/airborne attachment). 82nd, hooah!

Basically sit out in the middle of nowhere in the back of a HMMWV filled with WWII-era analog and digital radio equipment with a diesel generator and a 30m antenna mast acting as an encrypted relay node.

When I got out, I went to Australia and New Zealand on vacation for a year.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/45225031

It says "17L" but the full designation was 17L20.

One of the few times in my life that I truly, truly lucked out.

(Apologies to the O.P. - didn't mean to hijack thread with memories older than the O.P. ).
Yup, we were 17K and 17M back in the day. I was 96R1P when I was in. The 17L job was taken over by 96B, but 96B is a different MOS title.
Unread 10-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
TJforlife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I work for the state DOC. I was 11B and nothing special. I was fortunate enough to ets 3 years before all this Iraq fun. I was at Ft Benning during the first round (Dessert Storm). Lucky enough not to have to go to that one either, but I was real close. Fortunately, I never served in any combat. I thank those that have.
You Vietnam vets deserve all the respect. My hats off to you all. I am still ashamed of the way this country treated you....unfortunately my father was one of those hippie pukes that had the luxury of sitting on his *** and getting high while others had to fight for their lives.
StvDiego....I am glad to hear you turned your life around. An experience like that would drive most people to do what it took to escape. It takes a strong person to take responsibility for their actions and turn it around.
If you are looking to join the armed forces, remember that the most important thing is the guy sitting next to you. It doesn't take long to realize that you not only rely on them, but are a member of a warped brotherhood of soldiers (sorry to any Marines). To this day, my best friends are mostly prior service guys, we just have a disfunctional bond that only we understand. You all have much to be proud of, and I thank you for your service.
TJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #15
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Airborne Infantry 1/325 82nd ABN DIV.

When I got out I moved furniture...It wasn't great, but helped pay bills.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.