Thinking about serving after school - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Thinking about serving after school

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My young friend, I'm a Vet from the Navy, it's not a life for everyone....I loved it and miss it almost daily. I was a AMS.....Aviation Mechanic Sheetmetal, but also was a Aircrewman so it developed me into a "Jack of all trades" guy because you have to learn all systems on the aircraft you fly in.
So now after serving and in the civilian workforce I can say that the Navy trained me and equipped me better than any of my Vet coworkers from all the other forces.
With that said if I was to recommend a service to you that will give you the most opportunities in life....great training for future life, allow for further education while serving and best quality of life while serving....I would say go Air Force.
I know this is going long but let me explain.
I currently am a contractor working for the Air Force....and what I see is a much better quality of life overall and much more opportunities given to them than what I was afforded....I LOVE THE NAVY! But I look back and see how much more I could have achieved if I had gone Air Force.
All that said....you will only be prepared for the world after your service if you WORK HARD, pay attention to details and keep your attitude to yourself.....many go in thinking what can they do for me (which is a lot) but you should think of it as I'm here to SERVE.....and then take every opportunity that comes your way to educate yourself....that is the only way you will set yourself up for success.
My 2 cents...hope it helps...good luck and thanks for thinking about serving your country.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
05blkwranglertj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love being in the Marine Corps right now. If your thinking of going Nuke look into some other jobs that have a very high rate of scoring a three letter job (CIA, FBI, etc) when you get out if your not looking into a career. If your really smart, try to Look up Cryptolinguists. The Navy unit there is called CIDU. Pretty cool ****, working for NSA and stuff.
05blkwranglertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was Army for 13 years and now a civilian working for the Army. Do your research and keep an open mind. There are many different opportunities within the Military.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl

Everyone is still recruiting, just not in large numbers. Also, my sons friend just enlisted in the USCG and is due to leave soon for boot camp.
Your right, but they are trying to keep it to a minimum and they have much stricter standards then they did before. But the USCG will definitely set you up for careers outside the military. I was an MK( machinery technician) I worked on all kinds of engines, from outboards to engines that would hardly fit in a garage. Had a lot of training, in all different areas.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Scram
2005 LJ Wrangler 

MK here as well....another perk about being an MK in the USCG, we always worked on our trucks in the shops during the weekends.
Scram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Very true. I installed my lift in the shop on a Saturday afternoon. MK's in the USCG are versed in a lot of different aspects of the CG as well. You won't always be turning wrenches, depending on the type of unit you go to. I have done quite a bit of law enforcement and search and rescue operations. You will also serve various other positions on a ship. I had a great time and got to see some great places that I wouldn't have otherwise. Look into it, it was a great time.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After a bit of thinking and talking with people who have served.. I believe I'm going to take on an apprenticeship at Norfolk naval ship yard, or another in the area. The service honestly just doesn't seem right for me. But no decision is final
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
After a bit of thinking and talking with people who have served.. I believe I'm going to take on an apprenticeship at Norfolk naval ship yard, or another in the area. The service honestly just doesn't seem right for me. But no decision is final
My father-in-law is a foreman supervisor at the shipyard. Its a great place and the apprenticeship program is top notch. I'd research being a pipe fitter if you choose the shipyard as that's the usual starting point for most. If you can weld good you'll also be ahead of other starters.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfcrunch

My father-in-law is a foreman supervisor at the shipyard. Its a great place and the apprenticeship program is top notch. I'd research being a pipe fitter if you choose the shipyard as that's the usual starting point for most. If you can weld good you'll also be ahead of other starters.
That's awesome! Two of my buddy's grandfathers are supervisors at shipyards. One is an electrician at Norfolk naval. The other I can't recall. My welds need some work but it's something I can work on.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #25
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I grew up in the area so 50% of my graduating class ending up choosing the apprenticeship program and are still at the shipyard loving every moment. On their ways to a very nice pension at that.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #26
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfcrunch
I grew up in the area so 50% of my graduating class ending up choosing the apprenticeship program and are still at the shipyard loving every moment. On their ways to a very nice pension at that.
I'm honestly glad to hear.. I want a good future, not have to struggle like my parents did at times. But the service isn't right for
Me, and I'm thinking if I can get in this will be perfect

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.