Second Thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Second Thoughts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Chub1122
1995 ZJ 

Second Thoughts

Ok, so here it is. I have a TON of information on what I want to do in the military, should I join. I feel as though it will give me experiences that I need and will challenge me and let me serve my country. But, I have a decent amount of second thoughts. If I were to join the army, it would be some sort of combat position, meaning the chances of death go up pretty strong. I think about all the good I could do there, but then I think about the fact that if I die, it's over; when I could have just lived a normal life. My question is, do second thoughts mean that you shouldn't enlist? Also, yes I realize that I posted a week ago, but this has been weighing heavily on me and I can't decide which path to take. Thanks y'all!

Chub1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Man, I had second thoughts the day I got into reception. I'm army infantry, and I hate it. Honestly, you'd be doing more good in the Air Force or the Navy, any other branch. The Army is downsizing right now, so they're doing their best to kick people out. People here tread very lightly, because even the smallest things will get you booted. I'm trying to change my MOS, but I don't know how well that's gonna go, if it will go at all...

Also, if you're thinking you're gonna die, you probably won't. Afghanistan is winding down, Iraq won't (technically) happen, and the Ukraine won't either. If you go combat arms, you'll be stuck in detail land, eg. cleaning bathrooms, mopping floors, and standing outside in every weather condition conceivable. I know these things from experience. Being infantry sucks. Being a scout sucks (I was in a scout unit previously).

Honestly, if you're really dead-set on the Army, go with something that will help when you get out. Infantry will not. Scout will not. Geo-spatial intelligence analyst probably will. Some spooky organization will scoop you right up when you get out. And they get AC. And heat. And running water. And food. That's another thing. If you value food and sleep, don't join combat arms. You will learn to survive with very little of both. You might not necessarily like a single solitary second of it, but you will survive.

Bottom line, don't join the Army. I don't know about the Air Force or the Navy, Marines or even the Coast Guard, but the Army is not a pleasant place to be at the moment.

Oh, and if you want to do anything law enforcement post-military (should you decide to join), DO NOT do military police for ANY branch. PERIOD. Law Enforcement agencies nation-wide don't like hiring MP's, and don't often hire unless they're really hurting for manpower. The reason they don't hire MP's is because military law is different from civilian law, and MP's need to be totally re-trained, which is a waste of a lot of resources. Just food for thought.

My take on your situation. I'll be up early to PT in the -5* weather to respond to your response

-Snyder
Unread 01-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Chub1122
1995 ZJ 

Just curious, what makes you hate it so much?
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Chub1122
1995 ZJ 

Also, I'll be trying to go in as an officer, not an enlisted.
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

The list of things that make me hate my job is long. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some redeeming qualities to it, but they come few and far between. Mostly, I joined to do a specific job, which is be the tip of the spear. Incidentally, I ended up being a glorified janitor. So forgive me for being a bit disenchanted...

As for going officer, you'd have to talk to your recruiter about that one. I know officers have different requirements than enlisted, but I don't know exactly what, short of the college degree. I believe a longer active duty contract is involved, as well as the schooling through the Army that is involved. I also know that you get kind of a wish list as to what job you get once you get out of OCS (Officer Candidacy School), but I know that if all the slots on your particular list are filled, they will put you wherever they need you. So say you pick aviation, armor and human resources as your top picks, and all of the slots are filled. They'll send you to IBOLC (Infantry Basic Officers Leadership Course). You'll get lots of good infantry training, but you don't get to re-class, or choose another job, once you're an infantry officer. Whichever job you are assigned, you're pretty much stuck there until you can re-up your contract, and even then, if the particular job you want is still full, they can and will say no to you moving.

Officers don't also stay in one place for more than 2 years. So if you get a great duty station straight out of BOLC, you'll be moving within 2 years or so. I don't know why the Army cycles leadership out like that, because it seems dumb as hell to me, but that's just what happens. Some duty stations (Korea) are a 1-year station, even for officers. So you would only be there for a year unless you say "I want to stay here for another year". Some (crazy) people do that, but not often. A lot of people don't like Korea for a lot of reasons, but on the other hand, a lot of people LOVE Korea. So that would be an option. You can also choose to go to Korea voluntarily and then get choice of duty station afterwards, but that is something that would be up to you. We had a Corporal do that, and I'm not sure if he got his duty station of choice after all. I think they ****ed him out of it somehow. Just another reason to hate they Army... They do that a lot, to both officers and enlisted.

I'm pretty much out of information on officers, so I'll let you do your research as far as that goes. They have it better than enlisted, that's for sure, but it's still the Army at the end of the day. Take that however you will. All of this is my opinion, so if you're dead-set on joining, don't let me get in the way. Experience it for yourself, have some fun while you do it, hopefully get deployed (because deployment is a HELL of a lot better than sitting on your *** in garrison), and get some life experience out of the deal. Again, it's not ALL bad, despite how I paint it. There are some fun times here and there.

Good luck to ya! If you have any more questions you can PM me. I'll let someone else chime in here and try to not paint as bleak a picture as I have for you. Maybe someone, in some other unit, is having an absolute blast and can tell you about it.

-Snyder
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Chub1122
1995 ZJ 

I appreciate what you said! I was hoping if hear from someone on the other side of the spectrum. Thanks!
Unread 02-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as joining now they are cutting numbers and officers are getting booted. You will more then likely have a long wait to join as an officer.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
As far as joining now they are cutting numbers and officers are getting booted. You will more then likely have a long wait to join as an officer.
I am prior Army and still working for the Army as a civilian. I work on an Army Training Post. I work with uniformed members from all branches. EVERYBODY is downsizing. There are lot of people from all branches getting kicked out. There are allot of civilian contractors and even government civilians losing their jobs. There are huge cut backs in personnel and have been for the last few years.

We have an administration that is cutting the DoD hard. This will continue until there is a change in the White House. There is a new republican congress and that may help ending or limiting this reduction. At this point if you are not exactly what the Military is looking for your career may be cut short.

As a new unless you have decent scores on the ASVAB, a clean, background and not physical issues you may not even be able it enlist.
Unread 02-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We are no longer actively engaged in operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The numbers they are going back to are pre-iraq numbers. There is no need to keep that many people when there is no major operations happening.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub1122 View Post
Ok, so here it is. I have a TON of information on what I want to do in the military, should I join. I feel as though it will give me experiences that I need and will challenge me and let me serve my country. But, I have a decent amount of second thoughts. If I were to join the army, it would be some sort of combat position, meaning the chances of death go up pretty strong. I think about all the good I could do there, but then I think about the fact that if I die, it's over; when I could have just lived a normal life. My question is, do second thoughts mean that you shouldn't enlist? Also, yes I realize that I posted a week ago, but this has been weighing heavily on me and I can't decide which path to take. Thanks y'all!
The best advice I can give is this. If you decide to join make sure it's in a career field that translate well outside the military. If and when you get out you can still find work. Don't assume you will have unlimited time to go to school while in the military. I started class several times and had to drop out due to deployments, tdy, etc. Don't worry about death too much. You can die at any moment. There are more dangerous jobs than the ones in the military. Pm me if you have any questions.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Montaska
2007 JK Wrangler 

Haha, I remember when Blue was just leaving for OSUT via his build thread. Look how time flies. Glorified janitor is indeed 85% of being an Infantryman, haha. To this day the smell of Simple Green makes me want to dive off a tall building.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska
Haha, I remember when Blue was just leaving for OSUT via his build thread. Look how time flies. Glorified janitor is indeed 85% of being an Infantryman, haha. To this day the smell of Simple Green makes me want to dive off a tall building.

I'm clearing snow now. And tomorrow, (Saturday) I have CQ.
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
little79cj

1979 CJ5 

Yeah man you gotta go in with a positive attitude and get as much information about it as you can. If you wanna be the tip of the spear go SF cuz yes they are drawing down an whatnot but they are the most likely to be kicking in doors. There are ALOT of different MOS's in the military. Knowing what I know now I would personally go to my local VA and ask all the guys there about the army. I'm guessing a lot of them will just shove you off and tell you how much it sucks but I guarantee you they absolutely loved at least a little bit. There will also be a few guys that will sit you down and explain things to you and tell you to ignore those guys all they ever do is *****. I suggest if you go infantry only do it for 3-4 years then GTFO of the infantry. Lol. There are also other things in the army called DA 4187's. They are your friend. If you go officer there are perks to that also. The PAY often outweighs the PAIN. Where for enlisted personnel it is quite often the opposite. I like to look at it like this: Do you want to be the boss or the worker?
Do you want to be an officer or enlisted? I know people in the army that absolutely love what they are doing. I also know people that can't wait to get out and make up the last 4 years of they're life that they just wasted. And sometimes in life don't you just have to jump in an see how it go's?
little79cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little79cj
Yeah man you gotta go in with a positive attitude and get as much information about it as you can. If you wanna be the tip of the spear go SF cuz yes they are drawing down an whatnot but they are the most likely to be kicking in doors. There are ALOT of different MOS's in the military. Knowing what I know now I would personally go to my local VA and ask all the guys there about the army. I'm guessing a lot of them will just shove you off and tell you how much it sucks but I guarantee you they absolutely loved at least a little bit. There will also be a few guys that will sit you down and explain things to you and tell you to ignore those guys all they ever do is *****. I suggest if you go infantry only do it for 3-4 years then GTFO of the infantry. Lol. There are also other things in the army called DA 4187's. They are your friend. If you go officer there are perks to that also. The PAY often outweighs the PAIN. Where for enlisted personnel it is quite often the opposite. I like to look at it like this: Do you want to be the boss or the worker? Do you want to be an officer or enlisted? I know people in the army that absolutely love what they are doing. I also know people that can't wait to get out and make up the last 4 years of they're life that they just waisted. And sometimes in life don't you just have to jump in an see how it go's?
That DD214 is where it's really at though
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
little79cj

1979 CJ5 

That's what i've heard.
little79cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.