Retirement Changes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Retirement Changes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 01-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
10Xk
2014 WK 

Retirement Changes

Any ideas of what the planned future is for the retirement pay? Do you think they will draw a line in the sand as a cut off date, everyone after that date will draw retirement at 65ish???

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Finkler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think they will put more emphasis on the TSP program and require members to participate. I wish they had the program when I first joined instead of shortly before I retired.
Finkler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
tylertindall
2007 JK Wrangler 

I doubt it, personally. Seems like they'd rather downsize, and reduce the number of people who are able to make it to 20/30 years in the first place.
If they got rid of it, it would eliminate pretty much any reason for someone to stay in, particularly in intelligence, aviation, mechanics, etc
tylertindall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 03:42 AM   #4
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

My understanding is that after a certain date anyone who joins will contribute to TSP with matching funds from DoD (that is you incentive). This is how TSP works for the rest of the Fed Govt. If you stay to 20 you will, according to the panels math, come out the same or better than someone under the current program. That assumes you max out TSP contributions for the whole 20 years.

However if the cut base pay, or just dont give COLA increases, people are going to reduce their TSP contribution to get more money in their pocket today. That means less for DoD to match. Do you really think a first term Soldier is going to max TSP? No way. Joe wants 44 in dubs and a killer stereo.

Up side is if you stay for less than 20 you will now get a "parting gift" in terms of whatever is in your TSP, including all the matching funds

They are really going to crank down on bennifits, especially TriCare. My copay for scripts went up 60% in Jan. Ladg st CVS said AD dependants now have a copay on scripts. Whatever it is that is a 100% increase. Look to see dependant care increases across the board. Wouldnt doubt there will be a copay at the TMC.
Unread 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should make way more on your tsp then retirement. The big issue I see is after 20 assuming you joined at 18 or 19 you would retire at 38 or 39. Which is what myself and most people aim for. You get a second income and can transition into a career and be pretty well off.

You can't collect your tsp until retirement age. Unless you want to have it take a huge hit in taxes.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.