Registering From Out of State - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Registering From Out of State

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Registering From Out of State

I go to West Point but am a resident of GA with GA DL. I'm new to buying vehicles but know that most don't go to their State of Residence to buy a vehicle while serving. What is the process for registering with your own home state? Thanks guys.

Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Check here - http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/R...eRegister.aspx - talk to the county you are a resident of.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

The rules are different from state to state. This is just a generic description, you'll have to look up GA laws specifically. It's really not much different than if you told the dealer you would register the car yourself in state. Not sure if they actually do that anymore, but I bought my JK out of state about 2 years ago.

When you go to purchase the vehicle, inform the seller that you are registering the vehicle in another state. They are going to give you a similar temporary registration but you have X amount of days to register the vehicle in your preferred state. Failure to do so could result in void of sale, penalties, repossession, etc. You will have to pay taxes out of pocket, on the spot, for the vehicle at the DMV when you go to register. You will have to have any inspections or emission testing done that is applicable for your state prior to them giving you a registration.

Other than additional paperwork and signatures, this is the only significant difference.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.