planning on joining army - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > planning on joining army

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
ScottD16
1996 XJ Cherokee 

planning on joining army

I am planing to join the army next the summer of 2013. Joining is something i have wanted to do a while now, i have a lot of friends in it and its just something i can see my self in, having fun, and being good at. I currently go to community college in Baltimore county, i made the deal with my parents to do a year of college before joining the army and that year is almost up and i hate school. i love learning but the class room sit down environment just isn't for me im very hands on and just want to be out doing something.
Its been a while since i have been to the recruiting center but i took the practice placement and scored high and i would just talk to the guys about what im interested in. I told them i want to do infantry and work my way up to airborne and hopefully become a ranger. We also talked about college and rotc, my major right now is in mechanical engineering and if i did rotc i would do engineering with army until i graduated school then switch over to infantry. I dont see my self finishing college right now, i understand the importance and that fact il go in as an officer but i just dont see it happening.
So to all of you who have made this choice to join do you have any advice about school and completing it or anything to say about if i dont complete it what kind of job opportunities could i have with army after i finish my time in service. One more thing if i do decide to do rotc and while doing that train to be an engineer for the army can i change that mos to be active duty infantry and pursue that job instead of an engineer for the army. (i should really talk to recruiter about that one but figured id ask)

ScottD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was active Army for 12 years, and Guard for 1 year. I still work for the Army as a civilian. I am a training developer form New Equipment, WMD sensors. There is allot you can take away from the Military, any branch, but allot will be asked of you.

I was a Recruiter form 2003 to 2006 for the Army. At that time if you scored 50 or above, could qualify for a secret clearance and meet qualification to enlist you could get Ranger and Airborne in your contract as long as there was an opening. Things may have changed.
Not all Ranger slots are Infantry but the majority are. Having this in your contract just gets you to Ranger school doesn't mean you will go to Ranger Battalion, it just means you can go to the school provided it is in you contract, you pass basic, AIT and Airborne school.

If you don't get Ranger initially you can always try to get it latter in your enlistment or as a Re-enlistment incentive. But that is nothing that can be guaranteed when you initially enlist.

Right now the Military is downsizing. Options for all branches will be limited. The Army is the biggest branch and will have the most opportunities because of that. That doesn't mean it is better or worse. Having more opportunities doesn’t mean they will be better opportunities but the odds should be in your favor.

I would check with all branches before you make your final decision.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
signal34

From what I understand all branches are drawing down but special forces within each branch is not. I have heard stories lately of people going to meps and not having any jobs to choose from and simply being sent home. The draw down will be a process carried out in the next 5 years. I would imagine that could change depending on the global climate. I am certainly glad I enlisted when I did. I can't comment on the training and what it's good for when you get out but I can tell you that I enlisted as an engineer and it's not exactly the same kind of engineering you are going to school for. I ship out in a few days. I was in the same boat as you school isn't for me, just needed a way to make a living I can be proud of

Also all the guys that went to meps with me from my recruiting station signed for infantry with airborne in the contract and a crack at Ranger school in the contract.
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal34 View Post
From what I understand all branches are drawing down but special forces within each branch is not. I have heard stories lately of people going to meps and not having any jobs to choose from and simply being sent home. The draw down will be a process carried out in the next 5 years. I would imagine that could change depending on the global climate. I am certainly glad I enlisted when I did. I can't comment on the training and what it's good for when you get out but I can tell you that I enlisted as an engineer and it's not exactly the same kind of engineering you are going to school for. I ship out in a few days. I was in the same boat as you school isn't for me, just needed a way to make a living I can be proud of

Also all the guys that went to meps with me from my recruiting station signed for infantry with airborne in the contract and a crack at Ranger school in the contract.

Special Forces is Army only, they are the Green Berets. Navy, Air Force, and Army have other Special Operations MOSs, Marines have Special Operation Units.
http://www.socom.mil/default.aspx
The attrition rate is very high in Special Forces and alo high in other Special Operations MOSs.
Special Forces are special for a reason, most will fail out. Same with Seals. The other Special Operation are no joke either.

In the Army if you can't make it through Special Forces or Rangers (Special Operations) you will be infantry. If you fail our of the other branches Special Operations MOSs I am not sure what your fate will be.
Again I am not trying to say one is better than the other and you should do your self the favor of checking out all branches.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
signal34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Special Forces is Army only, they are the Green Berets. Navy, Air Force, and Army have other Special Operations MOSs, Marines have Special Operation Units.
http://www.socom.mil/default.aspx
The attrition rate is very high in Special Forces and alo high in other Special Operations MOSs.
Special Forces are special for a reason, most will fail out. Same with Seals. The other Special Operation are no joke either.

In the Army if you can't make it through Special Forces or Rangers (Special Operations) you will be infantry. If you fail our of the other branches Special Operations MOSs I am not sure what your fate will be.
Again I am not trying to say one is better than the other and you should do your self the favor of checking out all branches.
My friend recently left to train as a navy seal. Personaly I am not that ambitious. Some guys think it'll be easy but some actually work and make it through. If your devoted enough and physically ready who knows

Exactly if they stopped looking for special forces they would eventually be undermanned and since the failure rate is so high they are constantly searching for the best candidates.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.