Navy bootcamp then on to Aviation Structural Mechanic (AMH) A school - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Navy bootcamp then on to Aviation Structural Mechanic (AMH) A school

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Question Navy bootcamp then on to Aviation Structural Mechanic (AMH) A school

My youngest son Jerry will be going to Navy bootcamp in January followed by AMH "A" school, which I believe is in Pensacola, FL. I have no idea as to his follow-on orders after A school. I suspect he'll get PCS orders to a squadron.

If you have experience in this rate, or have friends/fellow coworkers in this rate, please chime-in since I'd like to hear your experiances.

Also, at what point does the Aircrew aspect come into play?

Thanks!

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

have fun at great lakes, and be prepared to shovel snow....i lived about an hour from there growing up and joined the military about 6 years ago.....now am civilian
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My youngest son Jerry will be going to Navy bootcamp in January followed by AMH "A" school, which I believe is in Pensacola, FL. I have no idea as to his follow-on orders after A school. I suspect he'll get PCS orders to a squadron.

If you have experience in this rate, or have friends/fellow coworkers in this rate, please chime-in since I'd like to hear your experiances.

Also, at what point does the Aircrew aspect come into play?

Thanks!
And what do you mean by aircrew aspect?
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I spent my fair share of time at Great Mistakes (late Nov through June '84) while going to FT/FC A school. It sucked & I promissed myself when I left that I'd never come back - so far I've kept my promise.

Its my son Jerry who's going - not me. I retired in '04.

From what I understand, AMH's can volunteer to be part of an aircrew (be aboard the aircraft when its flying and not always ground crew), but I don't know when the opportunity to volunteer takes place.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Joe, from what I know, since the opportunity to be Aircrew is presented to my rate as well, (CTR) is sometime towards the end of his "A" school. He'll have to have very good PRT scores for it. If he gets selected for the chance to do it, he'll simply stay in Pensacola once he finishes his "A" school, since the schools are on the same base.

Hope this helps!
-CTR3 (IDW) Shoemaker
USN Jeep Club #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
On a 1-10 scale, I give it.... Tits.
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hopefully Shoey is right, when I went through in 05 & 06 they wouldn't even let me think about going aircrew.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys.

Jerry is in fantastic physical shape. He played football for ~8 years, has a VERY extensive home gym, and also goes to a local gym. He typically worksout 5+ hours a day.

He's moving in with me next week for about a month (he lives in Las Vegas right now). If I can keep him from eating so many taco's, he should be good to go.
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
-zapper-
2003 WJ 

im an AT, but being such i work with airframers (AM). all the airframe rates work on the same things aside from AME in the organizational level (squadron), im not sure about in FRC or AIMD (I-level). and yes their "a" school is in good ole pensacola florida. I'm not sure if they get "volunteer" opportunities as aircrew. once he gets his QPA, QPJ, CDI, and Troubleshooter quals if his squadron does it he can go for IFTS (in flight troubleshooter) but theres really no use for and airframer in the air. if aircrews the route he wanted to go, i would suggest trying to get an AW rate straight from the start. once you get rated its alot harder to go into special programs like aircrew/swcc/devgru/seal/eod. especially with the navy "force shaping" with PTS, ERB, etc.

they had several opportunities in bootcamp when i went thru to apply for aicrew/swcc/seal rates but idk how they are doing it now. id talk to the recruiter and make sure he isnt jerking you around. did he already sign all the paperwork?

great lakes is going to be frigid in january! i went in april '08 and they didnt issue us foul weather gear (gloves, ski masks etc) because it was "summer"...we had to wrap towels around our faces everytime we marched somewhere because it was so miserably cold outside. ah well.

but if he does get rated as an AM make sure he keeps up his game in school, i think the first two in class get to pick orders (not positive on that) and that he gets his quals asap once he gets to his squadron. it will make him standout amoung the new people of the shop.
-zapper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Mike
oooh you almost had it

When I was pushing boots in Great Lakes (01-06), recruits had a chance to volunteer for Aircrew the first week of training on swim qual day. IF that is still the case, and he goes that route encourage him to get to the pool every chance he gets. Once they pass that initial qual they get to go to Dive Motivators usually every morning before the division is even up. All the Aircrew candidates who make it initially got orders to Aircrew school after A school. This is what I experienced, and the way the Navy moves today it may have changed a little here and there.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good gouge - thanks guys.
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I graduated bootcamp Oct.21st and I've been here waiting on orders since then here at great mistakes (hooyah THU!). So I could possibly run into your son to say the least If your son is worried about boot tell him not to be; its a complete joke. They don't even use real tear gas on us in the gas chamber either. Its all about being motivated enough to get through the bs and doing his job. If he does that he will be fine.
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotChiliDog View Post
Yeah I graduated bootcamp Oct.21st and I've been here waiting on orders since then here at great mistakes (hooyah THU!). So I could possibly run into your son to say the least If your son is worried about boot tell him not to be; its a complete joke. They don't even use real tear gas on us in the gas chamber either. Its all about being motivated enough to get through the bs and doing his job. If he does that he will be fine.
Uhm yes they do. They use CS.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My youngest son Jerry will be going to Navy bootcamp in January followed by AMH "A" school....
What the hell Joe, you couldn't convince him that FC is where it's at??
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Better to be aviation than an FC. I worked on all the combat systems after I retired from the Navy until a knee replacement (something about climbing to the top of the mast on a carrier bugs it). I do believe AM's can go as Loadmasters and Flight Engineers, which are flying billets but it's been 10 years since I retired.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
Uhm yes they do. They use CS.
Really? I was told it was c-2 gas or something and that it was only half the strength of actual tear gas. Either way its not too bad
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.