Hers : 99 XJ - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacedogFL View Post
"Counter Intelligence"? Really? Intel guys are office pogs at best. Sorry, but I had not read this post until I made my other posts. Where do you propose getting a good paying job as a former enlisted man in the Corps? If you think the three letter agencies are hiring guys with one term of service when they can get officers with more experience and a broader perspective of the game, you might reconsider. You won't be able to compete with that Captain or Major who breaks from the Corps and has the same aspirations "to land the big job". I would hope that someone in the Corps or wanting to be a Marine would be doing it just for the satisfaction of earning the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.
I did 4 years in 10th Special Forces Group as an Intel Analyst, prior to 9/11. In 4 years, during "peacetime", I did 4 overseas deployments in between SF training missions which are usually over a month long, all over the country, and are treated like deployments themselves. I don't know about the Marines, and can't speak for the regular Army, but I certainly was no office pogue.

Second, everyone I was in my section with - except for me because I had a city job lined up, and one friend who joined the Coast Guard - all work for government in some capacity. Three of those people did one hitch in the Army.

The jobs are out there, you just have to know where to find them and be willing to move around the country. My one friend makes nearly $100 working in a secure bunker in Colorado directing QRF for soldiers deployed worldwide. He did 4 years with me.

Again, this might not be the case for Marines, but it certainly is for Army guys, especially coming from SF.

Homebrewing Beer since 2005
post #78 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
PacedogFL
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy8 View Post
I did 4 years in 10th Special Forces Group as an Intel Analyst, prior to 9/11. In 4 years, during "peacetime", I did 4 overseas deployments in between SF training missions which are usually over a month long, all over the country, and are treated like deployments themselves. I don't know about the Marines, and can't speak for the regular Army, but I certainly was no office pogue.

Second, everyone I was in my section with - except for me because I had a city job lined up, and one friend who joined the Coast Guard - all work for government in some capacity. Three of those people did one hitch in the Army.

The jobs are out there, you just have to know where to find them and be willing to move around the country. My one friend makes nearly $100 working in a secure bunker in Colorado directing QRF for soldiers deployed worldwide. He did 4 years with me.

Again, this might not be the case for Marines, but it certainly is for Army guys, especially coming from SF.

I think my post was misconstrued...the OP posted like he was going to be a one and done enlistment guy or at least that is how I understood it to be...I just don't see a lot of one term enlistees getting jobs like that at all.

post #79 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
PacedogFL
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt_Joker View Post
Whats your AFSC?

and since your in AFSOC i bet you got a hefty bonus on the reup

Not necessarily at this time in my career. I go just over 24 years of service (good time) in May.
post #80 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Theres a lot more than MARSOC and army infantry going on with this this job qual. There are A LOT of "special" assignments involved with it. Ones that you might not understand until you get into the job. PM me if you're interested.

I guarantee you you won't be an office brat. It will open doors. There are niches in every mos, and this has unique ones.
post #81 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
nwiTJdave

IF you are thinking of going MarSOC please PM me with any questions you may have. There isnt just MarSoc though for Marine Special Forces. MarSoc is just the Marines contribution to SOCCOM. MOS 0321 (Marine Recon) has been around for years and years and is just about as high speed as MarSoc.

And yes the 4 years active 4 years inactive does suck. Especially when uncle sam tells you to report in to Camp Pendelton on a monday following thanksgiving after you have already been out for almost 3 years so they have to get you while you have less than 1 year on IRR time. However some jobs that have heavy initial training time require 6 years active.

Also, this may have changed since I got out, but Counter Intel was only available for e-4 and higher. I contemplated to reenlist for a HET team but decided I was tired of deploying and wanted to start a family.

HET guys have my utmost respect.

Some deployments for CI guys will be things like if you are on a MEU, then you fly in before the boats arrive and things like that. Its not all just special forces stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is for fighting, this is for fun.
post #82 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

for clarification. im not decided on what my future will be with the military. i cant know until im in it. so no option is out the window because i will or wont be in the marines. all depends on what happens when it comes time.
and pacedogfl..i am going into it for all the right reasons. but, i do have to consider what my life is going to be like after the marines because whether or not i reup after i get in it will not be a life long career choice. while money and a good job are not why im going in they are deff a factor in the mos i choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ
3" Rancho 5000 lift
D30 front D35 Rear
33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks
Doorless
Homebrew discos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobly_Goob View Post
Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.

post #83 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 PM
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993F250 View Post
for clarification. im not decided on what my future will be with the military. i cant know until im in it. so no option is out the window because i will or wont be in the marines. all depends on what happens when it comes time.
and pacedogfl..i am going into it for all the right reasons. but, i do have to consider what my life is going to be like after the marines because whether or not i reup after i get in it will not be a life long career choice. while money and a good job are not why im going in they are deff a factor in the mos i choose.
Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
post #84 of 189 Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

hahaha

1990 XJ
3" Rancho 5000 lift
D30 front D35 Rear
33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks
Doorless
Homebrew discos

Quote:
Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobly_Goob View Post
Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.

post #85 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacedogFL View Post
GAWD NO!!! Not Army infantry......
I approve this message (as an Army tanker stuck in an infantry company with no tanks...).
post #86 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens
I don't know if you are referring to them, but the Army has dress blues too.
post #87 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDevil

I don't know if you are referring to them, but the Army has dress blues too.
Yes they do but, the Marine
Dress blues are by far better looking

95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
post #88 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 02:37 AM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love my dress whites! I just wish I had more than my 3 ribbons to fill my chest.

2005 TJ X: 2" RE spacer lift, 32"x11.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #89 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 AM
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
Yes they do but, the Marine
Dress blues are by far better looking
Meh, personal opinion. I prefer the blue pants over the white. To me, the blue and white combination looks goofy.
post #90 of 189 Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 AM
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrugger View Post
I love my dress whites! I just wish I had more than my 3 ribbons to fill my chest.
Just give it some time. I had seven (plus a valorous unit award) after I was in for four years. Of course, that was the Army, so you may be in a different boat. I, in fact, did not like my dress uniform because of the random inspections. So I just took it to quartermaster's and left it there. Any time inspections came around, I just gave them the receipt showing it was at quartermaster's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.