Marine Corps Drill Instructors.... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Marine Corps Drill Instructors....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #31
Ubie
Wha?

Archped:
So, what happened to West Point?

Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #32
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pubie,

It's Anapolis, and you still meet your fair share of DI's...no Marine is immune from it.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #33
Ubie
Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achpud
Pubie,

It's Anapolis, and you still meet your fair share of DI's...no Marine is immune from it.
My bad, thought it was West Point you were headed to.
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Unread 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #34
Chalice
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I went to Army basic ten years ago, the Drill Instructors were very nice. They never yelled at me. It was the exact opposite, they were very helpful and reassuring. When I was going through an obstacle course, I wrenched my knee and I wanted to keep going. The one DI had me sit down, while the other went and got me some ice. They were sweet.
New Additions to my '06 Wrangler Sport: 2" Skyjacker Body Lift w/33"x10.5"x15 BFG's AT KO, Kargo Master Rack w/ Bushman 52"x60"Basket, Bumper Hoop Bar, Dark Tint Best Top Soft Top, Tinted Windshield Brow and Tinted Glass
Chalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #35
Ubie
Wha?

Knew i wasn't smoking crack:

Archpud states is going to USMA in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/really-pissed-me-off-soldiers-fault-264400/

But, apparently i am blind, because he states going Marines in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/so-uhh-what-can-i-expect-meps-292766/
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #36
Chalice
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Marine specific, my ex husband got yelled at and they ran alot, but he never said it was bad. My brother in law was a Marine Drill Instructor up to a few months ago and he said it's nothing like it used to be. He can't do anything to the people. The one enjoyment he did get was to run the kids until they puked. The Marines I knew where all in excellent shape and expected every other Marine to be also. He also liked when they would go out on maneuvers and the guys would have to dig holes and overhead positions where the guys would be beat. Then they wake them up every few hours to make them walk points. We lived at Camp LeJuene and I would see a line of them running everywhere. I never seen them get in trucks, always running. When I was stationed at Fort Hood, the Marines were doing the same thing, always running. We would run up to the half way point of a hill and the Marines would run to the top. If you are in great physical shape and have a thick skin, you will be good to go. Good luck
New Additions to my '06 Wrangler Sport: 2" Skyjacker Body Lift w/33"x10.5"x15 BFG's AT KO, Kargo Master Rack w/ Bushman 52"x60"Basket, Bumper Hoop Bar, Dark Tint Best Top Soft Top, Tinted Windshield Brow and Tinted Glass
Chalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #37
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

My dad was a AirForce TI for years. He got transfered when all the PC crap started hitting teh fan. Not allowed to touch them????? You think the enemy will have to play be the same rules?????????????

Anyway, most of the guys that were Training Instructers with him moved on as well. They were good at what they did, but thier hands were tied at that point.

Him and his buddy would sit around and talk about all the crazy stuff they didi to recruits. Some of it was REALLY screwed up.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #38
phant0omx
2012 WK 

i'd like to hear some of those stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
My dad was a AirForce TI for years. He got transfered when all the PC crap started hitting teh fan. Not allowed to touch them????? You think the enemy will have to play be the same rules?????????????

Anyway, most of the guys that were Training Instructers with him moved on as well. They were good at what they did, but thier hands were tied at that point.

Him and his buddy would sit around and talk about all the crazy stuff they didi to recruits. Some of it was REALLY screwed up.
phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #39
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice
When I went to Army basic ten years ago, the Drill Instructors were very nice. They never yelled at me. It was the exact opposite, they were very helpful and reassuring. When I was going through an obstacle course, I wrenched my knee and I wanted to keep going. The one DI had me sit down, while the other went and got me some ice. They were sweet.
You too huh?
I had trouble with remembering to salute an officer when I/they walked by.

The DIs were completely understanding.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #40
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93

Why should he or anyone other TI be allowed to abuse folks?

At one point boot camp (in some branches) was worse than what the prisoners at Guatanmo Bay were/are going through.

I do think a TI needs to be tough--but not a license to be a psychopath (I AM NOT calling your dad a psycho).

I knew several TIs (they actually volunteered) and it was mainly because of the power trip thing.

I don't know what was worse then--college hazing or basic training.

doc
docbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #41
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33
One more thing about marines, do you guys think they deserve to go on the power trip some of them go on? I have a TON respect for those in the armed services but I've only met like 3 marines (jeepers also) who werent dicks.

Hope no one takes this offensivley (especially marines on the forum) its all just personal experience

oh and more on topic he said the DI were much less extreme then in the old days
We're worse for the first year or so after boot camp.... When you graduate from training, you've been brainwashed to think you're the baddest mutha effer on the planet, and for some guys, they have the physical talent to back that up! When you can walk in a bar, have 4 navy squids who also just got out of boot start messing with you, and walk out of the bar leaving them for the ambulance without a scratch on you it's pretty empowering....

Dan
USMC 1994-1999
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #42
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=BLS33]whats the point of the sleep deprivation in the begining?

The point is that in war, the enemy doesn't wait until you feel rested to attack. War goes on 24 hours a day and you may be required to stay up for days at a time. The whole point of boot camp is( or was) to break you down from your civilian self and build you back up into a soldier. They also like to weed out the weaklings and people who cannot take it mentally. They want to change your way of thinking from an individual to more obediant part of a team. There are good and bad things about this by the way, but mostly good.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:05 AM   #43
ltmke11
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I went through Army basic in 1990 (good lord I feel old) Infatry- One Station unit Training(OSUT), Fort Benning, In all honesty it wasnt really that bad,the physical stuff actualy was harder once you got into AIT. BUt there was still plenty of screaming pics like the first ones in this thread..

Also how did you get the photos, our Drill Sgt's would have killed anyone who tried to take their picture..

In 1996 I went to Officer Candidate School (also at Fort Benning) on a logarithmic scale OCS was about 10^100 times more difficult than Basic Training, I was really shocked, we started with a platoon of 62 people, and 10 of us in that original platoon got our butter bars a few months later.

The majority of my OCS class was prior service, so we had a 2 marines, they all thought that since they had been to paris island, that Army OCS would be a cake walk, neither one of them graduated.
ltmke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #44
coreystj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud View Post
Why should he or anyone other TI be allowed to abuse folks?

At one point boot camp (in some branches) was worse than what the prisoners at Guatanmo Bay were/are going through.

I do think a TI needs to be tough--but not a license to be a psychopath (I AM NOT calling your dad a psycho).

I knew several TIs (they actually volunteered) and it was mainly because of the power trip thing.

I don't know what was worse then--college hazing or basic training.

doc

That is the major problem with the military now, and i mean your attitude Docbud. I am a simple old grunt in the Marines, we get hazing allegations by calling someone fat. Unless you personally have experienced bootcamp, school of infantry, been through a combat work up, then actually go into combat, you have no idea how the actions work. Yes in these situations the ends do justify the means. Boot camp, or recruit training, or what else it is referred to by the other branches still has its basic mission to prepair civilians to military lifestyle, and they almost always use the lowest common denominator way of thought.

Do you teach everyone the infantry kill or be killed mind set, or teach them the Admin clerk mindset?

At the end of the day, our entire job revolves around bringing these guys home from a deployment. And i will do what i have to do to train the Marines under me to do what they have to do.
coreystj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #45
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreystj View Post
That is the major problem with the military now, and i mean your attitude Docbud. I am a simple old grunt in the Marines, we get hazing allegations by calling someone fat. Unless you personally have experienced bootcamp, school of infantry, been through a combat work up, then actually go into combat, you have no idea how the actions work. Yes in these situations the ends do justify the means. Boot camp, or recruit training, or what else it is referred to by the other branches still has its basic mission to prepair civilians to military lifestyle, and they almost always use the lowest common denominator way of thought.

Do you teach everyone the infantry kill or be killed mind set, or teach them the Admin clerk mindset?

At the end of the day, our entire job revolves around bringing these guys home from a deployment. And i will do what i have to do to train the Marines under me to do what they have to do.

couldnt have said it better.

There is no way to truly have combat stress unless you are in combat. The DI's do what they are doing for a reason. Its nothing personal when they make you "island hop" or make you do things over and over and over again. By screaming and yelling and causing "mass chaos" they are doing their best to cause the most amount of stress possible.

Once in the fleet, team leaders and especially squad leaders have very little patience for repeditive screw ups. A part of the reason I got out of the Marine Corps after my 4 years (a year and half worth of being a squad leader) was beacuse of the general attitudes of the new Marines. It pissed me the hell off everytime one of them thought they were back on the block and could do everything their way and the only thing you can do anymore is pull out a pen. You cant take em for death runs or out to the pits of lejeune and take rank off and teach em a lesson because the first thing they will do is go back and cry to their mom or congressman (ask me how i know being faced with being njp'd for hazing).

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.