Marine Corps Drill Instructors.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Marine Corps Drill Instructors....

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
Bender92YJ

they cant touch you anymore but the yelling is designed to stress you out. its the closest they can get to combat stress. they make you start something then yell at you for it, then yell at you for stopping. its like someone said, its for mind games and help train you to deal with stress.

and the navy doesnt have stress cards, its a myth. heres a link.

http://www.snopes.com/military/stress.htm

Bender92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #17
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hear the sleep depravation is the worst part of it all. I bet its still no picnic but probably not as bad as it was years ago.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #18
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It has been a couple of decades since Marine Boot Camp, but that picture looks about right. They were not allowed to hit us even back in 1988, and they didn't very often. You don't have to hit someone to make them hurt.

If you are going in, be sure to memorize your general orders, code of conduct, rank insignia, and anything else the recruiter advises. Do a lot of running, push ups, pull ups and some weight training. Also I would sit cross legged a lot for long periods of time. While you are there try to be invisible, and prepare to be $%^&*ed with anyway.

Jordan
USMC 1988-1993
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #19
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sir, this recruit's first general order is to take charge of this post and all government property in view.

This recruit's second general order is to walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything within sight or hearing.

This recruits third general order is to report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce....blah blah
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #20
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

People often forget it's the instructors whose job it is to make sure the recruit doesn't get himself or his team killed and keeps a reasonable chance of getting the job done. The good instructors will do whatever it takes to turn a bunch of *shudder* civilians into a unit with some chance of survival. No one ever asks them how hard it is for them.
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

Tread Lightly - Stay the Trail
Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler
Nuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #21
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
Listen up, herd.

You maggots had better start looking like United States Marine Corps recruits. Do not think for one second that you are Marines. You just dropped by to pick up a set of dress blues. Am I right, ladies?"

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training ... you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war.

But until that day you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human f--ing beings!

You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian ****

Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair!

There is no racial bigotry here! Here you are all equally worthless! And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps!

Do you maggots understand that?
Best. Movie. Ever. (or half of it, anyways).

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Funny, my employee was just telling me yesterday how he thought FMJ was the best movie ever. I made my wife watch the boot camp part. Then I told her, " thats how I want you to raise the kids!".
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #23
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky05
I made my wife watch the boot camp part. Then I told her, " thats how I want you to raise the kids!".

Now you know you can't raise kids like that today. They'll tell their teacher, who'll tell the police, who'll come arrest you and call Child Welfare, who'll come take your kids. You have to be NICE to your kids. No spankings anymore, that's child abuse. You have to let them talk back to you, berate you, and do what they want nowadays.

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D24fan
Now you know you can't raise kids like that today. They'll tell their teacher, who'll tell the police, who'll come arrest you and call Child Welfare, who'll come take your kids. You have to be NICE to your kids. No spankings anymore, that's child abuse. You have to let them talk back to you, berate you, and do what they want nowadays.
It worked for me
Unread 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

I remember my first day of basic training at Lackland AFB (Texas) in March 1980.

We were "rainbows" and had just gotten arrived, been processed, and were to eat breakfast. We got there out 3:00 a.m., and it was about 6:00 a.m. when we hit the chow hall.

Anyway--there were several lines for chow, and doors/hallways off to the left and right for the dining area.

I took the wrong one and ended up by the "snake pit." For those folks who don't what that is--it's where the drill instructors eat. And they didn't take kindly to "rainbows" or recruits in their area.

All of a sudden they are screaming at me to "report" (for you non-military types: it's basically saying "Airman Basic {insert last name} and your squad and flight number. Well--I hadn't been told as of yet as to what "report" means, and I was stammering. A few DI's shoved me (not a big deal) and kept screaming. My DI finally appeared and "rescued' me.

The DI was a she (and she was great looking), but she made my life miserable when she was my DI. It seems I had embarrassed her.

I was also "set back" a few weeks half-way through bootcamp. I was pulling guard duty for some new recruits who had come in, and we had an inspection that morning. I was pulling an all nighter. Anyway--one of my buddy's borrowed the iron from my locker (NOTE: Only the bottom drawers were locked, the top ones were not).

He used the iron and then put it back, but it fell on it's side (with water inside). It got some of my stuff wet.

So I was given demerits for an improperly placed item, items being wet and not servicable, and unauthorized item (the water).

Never mind I was NOT there, it was not my fault, and whatnot--I was set back two weeks. I was told I was responsible whether it was my fault or not.

I was basically told to "be a man" and accept my punishment. Arrgggh--it still ticks me off 26 years later.

doc
docbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #26
93Renny

Boot camp has def changed since back in the day. My grand father (RIP) had a good friend that was a Marine, guy said if he ever saw his DS again he would kill him. One day while in a Diner with my Grand Father, when who should walk through the door, yeah his DS. Well his friend sees him, grabs the closest steak knife and goes for him. The story go's "there were enough people there to keep him from getting to him or killing him". Sometimes the story would change at the end, but it was all the same, dude was waiting for the final smack down (enter Europe’s theme song). After the incident the friend told my grand father why he tried to kill him, guy said in the first couple days he was their they were lined up and the DS came through, he said the DS smirked/smiled, so he did as well. Once the Friend did the DS came around with the butt of his riffle and busted out several teeth. He was set as the example of "don't smile". Apparently the butt of the riffle is a popular method of pain infliction in the Marines, you see below also.

Also had a cousin at Parris Island that got on the good side by busting loose on a slacker. While doing their routine 5-10 mile hump recruit in front of him constantly fell out of step/pace. Well being the duty of the person behind him my cousin had to give him the old gentle shove to get him back on track. After about the 5th or 6th time of doing so, said slacker came around with the but of his riffle, cousin ducked, and delivered only what could be described as a Mike Tyson upper cut (prior to mike getting his rear whooped by everyone and their mother of course). He sent the guy sailing. Cousin also busted up his hand real bad on the guys teeth. I think later he got a staff infection from it. But the other guy deff got the worst of it. Any ways, about a minute later when the guy finally came back down and landed on his back the DS came back and had no ill words, simply sent them to first aid. Apparently this was as good as getting a pat on the back by the DS. The DS had been chomping on the guy for however long, but since he was unable to physically correct the problem, he was happy another recruit could.
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #27
AustinJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud1@mac.com
I went through Air Force bootcamp back in 1980--and it wasn't too bad. It was around that time that rules were being implemented so far as not hitting recruits and stuff like that.

I realize that "head games" are a part of the training, but I don't think a DI should be given a license to beat the crap out of someone.

From what I've read, boot camp is a lot easier in many of the branches now. I don't know about the Marines--but I'd still bet it's ten or 20 times as hard as Air Force, Army, or Navy basic training.

doc

My father might have been your DI then
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...A/IMG_1994.jpg
AustinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #28
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

whats the point of the sleep deprivation in the begining? my brother just got back from basic and said they had to stay up 72 hours straight, is that true? because he can exagerate from time to time. I mean I've always thought sleep deprevation was a brainwashing technique.

One more thing about marines, do you guys think they deserve to go on the power trip some of them go on? I have a TON respect for those in the armed services but I've only met like 3 marines (jeepers also) who werent dicks.

Hope no one takes this offensivley (especially marines on the forum) its all just personal experience

oh and more on topic he said the DI were much less extreme then in the old days
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was about three days of sleep deprivation. They then made us retake the ASVAB, Intel tests, and kept asking us about having taken drugs or anything related to fraudulent enlistment. That was back in 1988, I am not sure what they do now.

Marines are a little arrogant, but we are not all dicks any more then any other crosssection of society.

Semper Fi.

USMC 1988-1993
Desert Strom
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #30
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, they still deprive you of sleep. My buddy just got back, he got there at about midnight, spent the first 6 hours of the day getting yelled at and issued clothing, ate chow at 0600, spent that entire day taking tests, then went to sleep at around 2200 that night.

I guess its so they can be really sleepy when the DI's come in and wake 'em up the next morning.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.