Joining the Army - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Joining the Army

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
XJ2Timer

The first image I had after reading the title was of Bill Murray in Stripes.

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Btw it's not the same army of yesteryear. Don't let any movies tell you what today's army is like.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
vtjeepguy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you go MP enjoy Fort Leonard Wood. Just got back in december. I am thankful I didn't have to complete AIT there! All my battle buddies who stayed have been enjoying the cold! Good luck!

Last edited by vtjeepguy97; 02-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Can't type worth beans on my iPhone
vtjeepguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
signal34

I leave for Leonard Wood shortly
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
carr51
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I'm seeing a lot of don't go MP and you'll thank me laters, but not many reasons as to why that is? I am interested in becoming an LEO in the future so it would be up my alley. What are your reasons for the nay saying?
carr51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any position in the military will set you up to be a LEO. If you're going to join the military you have to love your job or you're going to hate your job. There is no middle ground.
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

good luck sir.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
CKjeeps
1987 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr51 View Post
So I'm seeing a lot of don't go MP and you'll thank me laters, but not many reasons as to why that is? I am interested in becoming an LEO in the future so it would be up my alley. What are your reasons for the nay saying?
I am actually an MP and I'm currently deployed. IF your going army (airforce is SP) mp then this is your job . MP means military police where security police. The differences is where security police right in patrol cars, stop speeders, write tickets. MP's actually pretend to be infantry sometimes, other times they pretend to be 31E when is a prison guard. The prisons we guard are nothing but **** throwers and they piss on you none stop. and the last but definitately least (my job currently) is gate guard. I stand at a gate for 10 hours a day searching vehicles and scanning various people into our base. It is a boring job at best and at least a deadly job. There is almost no defense if someone wants to shoot you or kill you because your not protected, your just standing out there in the open. I got an 88 on my asvab, that means very little in the army. its the GT score they look at. I got a 128 when allowed me most jobs and i picked mp. Basic is just like AIT, not relaxed. one of the few MOS's that still use drill sargents as instructors of AIT. I know maybe a handful of guys that like being an MP and all of them were garrison at a base in the states. I'm hated by the world because I'm an american, I'm hated by the US because I'm in a war they don't believe we should be in, and I'm hated by the army because I'm a cop. Rethink your path. You'll thank me later
CKjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker
your score isn't ideal. I'd study up, your library should have some good materials.

Dont go MP, you'll thank me later.
His score is fine the overall ASVAB score is basically a note. They will look more at your GT score then anything else. So long as that is 110 or higher your pretty much set.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
rosco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any position in the military will set you up to be a LEO. If you're going to join the military you have to love your job or you're going to hate your job. There is no middle ground.
sorry , but youre wrong. just because you go thru basic, it doesnt mean your set up to go into law enforcement.

op, i say this to everyone who is thinking of enlisting. pick a mos that you can use in the real world. mp is a good one if you wanna be a cop. just three cents worth of advice. not saying theres anything wrong with any mos.
dont let them cross-train you into 88m. stand your ground. remember, nothing is set in stone until you sign lotsa papers and get sworn in. dont let them "persuade" you into anything you dont want. theyll give you a bunch of jazz about all sorts of things. walk away if youre not getting what you want.
and last but not least, your life is gonna be forever changed. be prepared for that.
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco1 View Post
sorry , but youre wrong. just because you go thru basic, it doesnt mean your set up to go into law enforcement.
I was referring to the amount of red tape you deal with in both applications. I have friends who are not MP's and went into CHP and make references to the way the army functions. On an unintended note the police academy is a similar physical training regiment just with tons more classes.
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
JRocker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco1 View Post

op, i say this to everyone who is thinking of enlisting. pick a mos that you can use in the real world. mp is a good one if you wanna be a cop. just three cents worth of advice. not saying theres anything wrong with any mos.
dont let them cross-train you into 88m. stand your ground. remember, nothing is set in stone until you sign lotsa papers and get sworn in. dont let them "persuade" you into anything you dont want. theyll give you a bunch of jazz about all sorts of things. walk away if youre not getting what you want.
and last but not least, your life is gonna be forever changed. be prepared for that.
I have to disagree, having spent considerable time at a local pd. They did't recognize any mp training.
JRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
signal34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker View Post
I have to disagree, having spent considerable time at a local pd. They did't recognize any mp training.
I have spoken to a few local PDs and while past active duty can get you in the door in place of a degree they basically told me they treat all recruits and new officers as equals. Doesn't matter military service, what branch, what MOS you still have to do the same thing as everybody else. That said i do believe that vet's civil service test is graded differently or something. Something about "using credit". I remember seeing that when was looking at applying for the test. I also think prior service can be helpful with rank structures, and the discipline learned helps greatly at academy
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
carr51
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah here in Ohio with most PDs your vet status gives you points on any civil service test you take. Although some of my training will count towards college credits, it will not count for anything in Police Academy. I have talked to do many people and I appreciate all the input from you guys as well and for the firs enlistment I am almost set on going reserve. Enlistment bonus will be a plus but I will definitely pick something I am interested in. Everything you guys have to say I listen.
carr51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.