Joining the Army - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Joining the Army

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
carr51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Joining the Army

So I have decided to join the Army. It'll be in late march early April that things will get finalized. I told the recruiter I would like to go active as an MP. I took the ASVAB years ago and scored a 75. I take it again in a week since the old test outlived its time. I was just curious as to whether any Jeepers on here are/were MPs and any info you could share that'd help out. I don't know if they have any availability now to place people in that job, but it's the one I would like to go for.

carr51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been considering the military lately as well. I've always wanted to, but never did when i was 18 like i planned because i decided that being with my wife was more fun. Now that we have a kid, and soon to be another on the way, Its getting harder to make that decision. I wanted to go Marine Corps though. pretty sure that would be horrible on family life.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't go MP.

You'll thank me later.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
willman611
1997 ZJ 

Yea my sis is in the air force and she says that everyone hates MPs. The medical field is nice which is what she is in. But you also don't have to go active. You can always go reserve but it doesn't matter much.
willman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
JRocker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

your score isn't ideal. I'd study up, your library should have some good materials.

Dont go MP, you'll thank me later.
JRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker View Post

Dont go MP, you'll thank me later.
Sounds familiar.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why not MP?
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Why not MP?
A ton of my buds are MPs, they all say it sucks. Now I'm not saying it'll suck for the OP but they all want to re class into something else. Standing at a gate for hours at a time gets old I'm sure. Plus...others of different MOS' don't like MPs too much, especially Engineers.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
willman611
1997 ZJ 

^^^exactly. But there is a wide variety of stuff you can do in the military. Study up and make the best decision for yourself.
willman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
JRocker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All the fun police work has been taken over by dod police. You'll end up being substitute infantry.
JRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Go medical or aviation. My ex wife is aviation and I was in one of the last MASH units. It was a vacation for us both on drill weekends. You'll thank me later.
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
Apollosenvy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wheeled with a couple navy MPs once, they absolutely hated it. I know of no one with the MOS I'm going for though, which kind of makes life annoying. It seems that everyone wants to reclass to EOD when they can, but no one is actually in it.
Oh well, I'm shipping of at the end of the week.
Are there any good places to go wheeling at Eglin AFB? I should be able to have the old heep down there by then.
Apollosenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
Indy

Ive arrested about 200 mps and one major. Rumor is if you can't cook they make you wash dishes, screw that up too often and they make you an mp. For some reason as soon as they left the base they just had to find a way to go to jail. Theres better fields to build a future on.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
signal34

They'll give you a list of jobs that they need people to do on the computer. Everyone in the US is looking at that same list. MP disappeared off my list in about a minute before I could even think about if that's what i wanted. I think its one of the more popular MOSs. All armed forces are cutting back so if you can enlist it will be for something they have a need for. I originally wanted to be a mechanic, but before i left for meps based on practice ASVAB score i reserved cav scout, but then my eye test got rushed along and they said my vision could only be corrected to 20-25 (even though with my new glasses i'm at 20/20)so i ended up picking and Engineer job. Good luck with your enlistment and at MEPS
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
hawksfan
2010 JK Wrangler 

pick a job with a sign up bonus!! I spent 12 years as an MP/Corrections. have now been in LE for 28 years, excellent way to get the training if that is what you want to do with your life. my son did 6 in the AF as a load master, he is now in LE. if my younger kids want to go in the military I would recommend medical field, such as radiology. great way to get training in a career field that will always be needed.

best of luck to you and thanks in advance for serviing
hawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.