inter-service Xfer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > inter-service Xfer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

inter-service Xfer

Has anyone one of my fellow Veterans transferred from one branch of the service to another?

My Nephew is in the U.S. Marines and is hitting the 10 year mark.

Now he is up for promotion BUT there are about 200 bodies he has to compete against. I'm under the impression that if he does not make grade he will not be able to re-enlist.

He has been told he is ranked #2. How the hell does anyone know that before the applications have been submitted?? IMHO until you get the stripe you got nothing.

I thought that transfer to the U.S. Army might be a viable option.

So have any of you done it? How did it work out for you?

Thanks in Advance

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
csmit328
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know that a few years ago you could transfer from the Marines to the Army. Im not sure now with the downsizing if thats an option anymore. If his Retention office cant help he may be able to go to an Army recruiter to find out.
csmit328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I went from the Corp to the Army ( 1984 ) as said above see a recruiter as it will be quicker.
The corp has a funny way of promoting, I had 28 months time and grade and was only offered my 3rd stripe come time to get out, I told them to keep it.
From experience and not to bash the army, he may be disappointed if it were me I'd try the air force or the coast guard.
Laugh about the coast guard but they do so wild stuff close to home.
Unread 07-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmit328 View Post
I know that a few years ago you could transfer from the Marines to the Army. Im not sure now with the downsizing if thats an option anymore. If his Retention office cant help he may be able to go to an Army recruiter to find out.
That was my first thought. An Army recruiter would be able to see if his skills were needed in the Army if that is the way he goes.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
I went from the Corp to the Army ( 1984 ) as said above see a recruiter as it will be quicker.
The corp has a funny way of promoting, I had 28 months time and grade and was only offered my 3rd stripe come time to get out, I told them to keep it.
From experience and not to bash the army, he may be disappointed if it were me I'd try the air force or the coast guard.
Laugh about the coast guard but they do so wild stuff close to home.
I do believe he is in a situation where he must make E-6 or they may not allow him to re-enlist. He is approaching his 10th year in the corps. I figure he could find a place for his skill set in the Army since it is so much larger. I'm not sure what his skill set is OR he has told me and I have forgotten!

This getting old crap isn't for sissys......

Unread 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Okay I wasn't going to go here but here it is in a nutshell.
In my era there was ALOT of reverse discrimination.
I had 3 meritorious mast from 2 CG's,at least 10 meritorious citations and NO trouble what so ever with breaking the rules.
I was promoted twice for merit and in no way was I a ball washer.
I was a Marines Marine.
After coming back from Beriut and spending 28 months @ time and grade it sickened me to see Marines getting promoted ahead of me with less than 6 months of time and grade needless to say I was not alone.
I watched at least 15 Marines get promoted because they were anything other than a light green Marine.
I feel that now a days this practice will get people killed for lack of experience.
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Okay I wasn't going to go here but here it is in a nutshell.
In my era there was ALOT of reverse discrimination.
I had 3 meritorious mast from 2 CG's,at least 10 meritorious citations and NO trouble what so ever with breaking the rules.
I was promoted twice for merit and in no way was I a ball washer.
I was a Marines Marine.
After coming back from Beriut and spending 28 months @ time and grade it sickened me to see Marines getting promoted ahead of me with less than 6 months of time and grade needless to say I was not alone.
I watched at least 15 Marines get promoted because they were anything other than a light green Marine.
I feel that now a days this practice will get people killed for lack of experience.
Politics were the main reason I did not make a career out of the US Army. I got jerked around a few times so I said bye-bye. Then again, as worker drone that happens in the civilian world also.

Unread 07-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
csmit328
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Theres a lot of politics for sure but my civilian job was actually worse. The reduction in force has caused some to say the least. Im guessing the Marines are also doing a version of 'Up or Out' like the Army is. As far as politics go I just try to run my squad and look out for my guys as best i can and leave the politics to others. I love the Army some days and hate it on other days. I wouldn't trade my experiences for a million dollars and will probably cry like a baby when i ETS.
csmit328 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.