Enlisting in the Air Force- ?s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Enlisting in the Air Force- ?s

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Enlisting in the Air Force- ?s

I've come to the decision that out of HS that I'm enlisting in the Air Force. I'm not too sure what I want to do once I'm in though. For the people that were/are in the AF, what do you do? If you were to do it again, would you do the same thing or not? If not, what would you have done? I'm going to talk to a recruiter next week and I'm trying to get an idea of whats good and bad. Thanks for input.

-Daniel.

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
conkatonk
2004 WJ 

Loadmaster
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Boog
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pavements and construction equipment operator. There is probably only 1 or 2 other jobs in the AF I would actually consider doing if I had to choose. The jobs that are available to you depend on your ASVAB scores, so its not always just picking what you want to do. Just remember, the recruiters job is to sell you the Air Force, not a certain job in the Air Force.
Air Force Jeep Club #147
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/boogs-slow-tj-build-1469852/
Boog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
trbngropat
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Security Forces. I'd choose it again, that or an intel job
trbngropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I know ASVAB scores affect what you can/cannot do. I'm just trying to help narrow down my choices, thanks for the input so far, I'll look into them.
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm 2w1x1, which is an Armament Systems Technician. My job is the weapons system on an aircraft, and to load munitions (bombs), and ammunition onto the aircraft. Most days, I love my job, however like any job it has it's days that suck. I came in open mech, and got lucky with my job. I will say, avoid nukem (2w2). A couple jobs to consider (as long as you have the ASVAB scores) is air crew jobs (if you are color blind, or have bad depth perception, then you are out of luck though), intel jobs which are 1n0, 1n1, 1n2, 1n3, or the 2t set of jobs, as they are working on vehicles if that's your thing. The intel jobs, and the 2t jobs, as well as others can set you up for a well paying job on the outside if you are smart.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
yunkj17
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am POL good job have to work on the flightline is the only down side a good career and alot of opportunities on the outside
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
yunkj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
irishguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was AGE mech. But i ended up in a mobile tactical unit. If you want a really tough job try out for CC or para rescue. (combat control) if you want to talk about anything you can pm me.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Dreygo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am a Pavements and Construction journeyman. I deal with asphalt, concrete, barriers, fence, tractor trailer, heavy equipment, etc. Thats just some of the highlights. I would change jobs if I want given a 100k sign on bonus. I love my job, even on days that suck. If I had to do it all over again then I would of joined as soon as I graduated High School. Instead I waited 5 years. Thats my only regret and its a small one at that.

Basically it boils down to what you like to do. Thats all that matters in the end. With that being said, What do YOU like to do???
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Go into a career field that actually needs people and will continue to need people. Right now there are quiet a few constrained AFSC's so ask about those and avoid them. Yes, they can still put you into it but I wouldn't want to go that route personally. Also, when looking at jobs think about the hours that will work as well, I know this might not really matter to most people and it isn't a big deal to me either but it is something most people don't think about until later on in their career. Like legal, medical, etc..Mon-Fri 7-4 type of hours instead of constant weekends and nights. I worked nights for 2 years and didn't mind it until I realized one day I had no friends outside of the ones I worked with. I was off when everyone else was working.
Here is the constrained list:
2A6X1, Aerospace Propulsion
-- 2A6X4, Aircraft Fuel Systems
-- 2A7X3, Aircraft Structural Maintenance
-- 2T0X1, Traffic Management
-- 2T1X1, Vehicle Operations
-- 3D1X1, Client Systems Technician
-- 3D1X3, Radio Frequency Transmission Systems
-- 3E7X1, Fire Protection
-- 3E9X1, Emergency Management
-- 3M0X1, Services
-- 3N0X4, Still Photography
-- 3P0X1, Security Forces
-- 4A1X1, Medical Materiel
-- 4A2X1, Biomedical Equipment
-- 4Y0X1, Dental
-- 8M0O0, Postal

Also, don't forget to ask about jobs with enlistment bonuses. A lot of jobs will continue to have those bonuses when you re-up, if you so choose. I think these are just simple basic things that people don't really think about or find that important but might want to still now about at some point.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afbond03 View Post

Also, don't forget to ask about jobs with enlistment bonuses. A lot of jobs will continue to have those bonuses when you re-up, if you so choose. I think these are just simple basic things that people don't really think about or find that important but might want to still now about at some point.
Here are two lists from last year for enlistment bonuses, however, they might not be correct, and have conditions to them. The main jobs that have them are SpecOps jobs, EOD, and Security Forces. However, many jobs do have re-enlistment bonuses. Also, if you are real concerned about shift work, then re-think your decision to join, it is the military, and it's the the needs of the Air Force before yours. A lot of office jobs work normal shifts, but outside of that, expect shift work, and there is nothing worse than someone who complains about shift work, or weasels their way onto day shift all the time due to the fact it makes others suffer. More than once, I've been stuck on a shift due to people that refused to work something other than days. I'll be honest, it's a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the hours. Nothing is worse is when a nonner complains about working for 9 hours one day, when most are working 9+ hours on a regular basis with just a few minutes for lunch.

http://www.military.com/recruiting/b...ntive-overview

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afenlbonus.htm
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

The two that stood out and seem like something I want to do are pararescue and combat control. I know they're going to be hard, but I enjoy a challenge.
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
Boog
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreygo View Post
I am a Pavements and Construction journeyman. I deal with asphalt, concrete, barriers, fence, tractor trailer, heavy equipment, etc. Thats just some of the highlights. I would change jobs if I want given a 100k sign on bonus. I love my job, even on days that suck. If I had to do it all over again then I would of joined as soon as I graduated High School. Instead I waited 5 years. Thats my only regret and its a small one at that.

Basically it boils down to what you like to do. Thats all that matters in the end. With that being said, What do YOU like to do???
Holla back Dirt Boyz.
Air Force Jeep Club #147
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/boogs-slow-tj-build-1469852/
Boog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

I've got a meeting with the recruiter today after school. Well see how it goes.
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Talked to the recruiter today. Took a practice asvab and got a 73, which according to him is pretty good. Next step will be the real asvab over summer and see from there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.