Do I have to go to DEP meetings? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Do I have to go to DEP meetings?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

I went to more DEP meetings as a Marine than I went to during my 9 months in the DEP haha.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just went to one today and apparently it is mandatory because supposedly 2 guys are being dropped out of DEP for not showing up for the meetings nor the 8 hours of watch a month. According to the recruiters its not their CO, but the person above their CO that is making this decision. I guess I lucked out and got the bad recruiting station!
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotChiliDog View Post
I just went to one today and apparently it is mandatory because supposedly 2 guys are being dropped out of DEP for not showing up for the meetings nor the 8 hours of watch a month. According to the recruiters its not their CO, but the person above their CO that is making this decision. I guess I lucked out and got the bad recruiting station!
That would be their battalion commander calling the shots on that one.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
Sarge_CJ2A
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What branch are you in the DEP for? (it's not actually called DEP for the Army anymore) I am currently an Army Recruiter. I can tell you that while Future Soldier Training events are not "mandatory" they are highly encouraged. As long as you maintain contact with your recruiter at least once every 14 days (every 7 days once you are within 45 days of shipping) you will be fine. The only time you would be required to be seen in person weekly is if you are over your maximum weight and have to be taped. Body fat updates are required weekly for those Future Soldiers. The Army also currently requires that you enroll in FutureSoldiers.com while you are in the FSTP. You won't be DEP discharged for not attending FSTP events, but it may lead to you not being promoted prior to Basic Traning. However, if your Recruiter feels that you are showing apathy toward shipping or do not intend to ship then you may be discharged prior to your ship date. 0-7 day losses (DEP discharges that occur in the week prior to your ship date) cost the Army a lot of money due to the fact that your training seat cannot be filled in that short window, so obviously USAREC tries very hard to prevent them. This is why you are required to check in regularly. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will help you out.
Sarge_CJ2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

He is in Navy DEP

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So my recruiters thought it is necessary to have a dep meeting at The bowling alley and we have to pay. I tell him today that I have no money or gas and he just says how he is about to yell at me for not "rodgering up" and all this **** how if I miss one dep meeting I lose my contract. He said he could drive me but made it like it wasn't going to happen. **** the navy seriously I'm about to go usmc. But before I make the call isn't there anything
I can do about this? Keep in mind I've been in sea cadets for 3 years so I know more about the navy than my entire dep pool
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
ctbreitwieser
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you want the next the 4-5 years of your life to be miserable I would stay away from the USMC. Been for almost 4yrs with a 5yr contract and I have to admit ive done some cool stuff, but they will take away pretty much every right as human being. Right now I have my 4 old 35's, bumpers, and coil springs sitting in my barracks room cause I have no where to store anything except a closet and I keep getting yelled at for it being in here. I aint just gonna throw the stuff away. I had the same problem when my hardtop was setting in my room. But do what you want. Ive seen a lot of really cool places and you can always change your mind until your on that bus. Good luck with whatever you decide.
ctbreitwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just ride it out man. As long as your recruiter didnt dick you on your contract then you'll be alright. If you have an issue with him just go through your chain of command. Don't let a dip**** recruiter ruin it for you man. Though, I was with a guy at MEPS (my roommate for the night) that was going into the Navy and he said his Recruiter was an idiot too.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

don't know if you shipped already, not gonna lie didn't read all the posts.

but your recruiter is a ****in tool and is trying to make himself seem important, trust me on this 100% he's bull****ting you.

however the navy is trying to get rid of people and recruiting quotas aren't very high across the board, so im sure if he wanted to be a dick he could have you dropped from the DEP program. in which case i'd go next door to the USMC and be like "**** you dude, im goin green".

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerSeabeeXVII View Post
don't know if you shipped already, not gonna lie didn't read all the posts.

but your recruiter is a ****in tool and is trying to make himself seem important, trust me on this 100% he's bull****ting you.

however the navy is trying to get rid of people and recruiting quotas aren't very high across the board, so im sure if he wanted to be a dick he could have you dropped from the DEP program. in which case i'd go next door to the USMC and be like "**** you dude, im goin green".
I didn't ship yet but deep down I think I wanted to be a marine anyways. My sea cadet coc and my entire family basically peer pressured me into the navy but I do admit I have a badass job. If the marines can guarentee me Aircrew and that I can ship around the same time I would the navy I really do think I'm going to go get the service transfer. I'm gonna sleep on it one more time though before I send any emails
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't ship yet but deep down I think I wanted to be a marine anyways. My sea cadet coc and my entire family basically peer pressured me into the navy but I do admit I have a badass job. If the marines can guarentee me Aircrew and that I can ship around the same time I would the navy I really do think I'm going to go get the service transfer. I'm gonna sleep on it one more time though before I send any emails
i can put you into contact with one of my buddies who is aircrew, he went dry and he says it sucks ***.

if i were you i'd make sure i could get rotor and not fixed wing, otherwise i'd go green.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #27
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

It is not that easy to drop out of Dep for one branch and join another. There is another thread on this from JerryB and his son. His son dropped and has been put in a one year holding pattern for another service. The military is not hurting for people right now, in fact they are kicking people out left and right.
As far as aircrew, I work with the and they all love it.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #28
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

if he wants to come pick you up, tell him to do it. if you don't have money for gas to get there, there's nothing you can do about it. the military won't bend over backwards to get you anywhere YOU want to go, but they'll move heaven and earth and rearrange your life if THEY want you somewhere.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
Glory2God
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been swimming and working out when I can (once every 2days) so Im preparing
- I am sorry man I missed that you were going in the Navy, so scratch the "Hollywood" remark. I can tell you that I was Aircrew in the Marine Corps rotary wing community, and it was outstanding. Seriously, everyone is going to have some bad expieriences, but I worked hard and enjoyed the heck out of it. If the armed forces weren't full I would tell you to join the Marine Corps for sure, but it does sound risky right now.
- By the way my recruiter would pick me up in a hearbeat if I would have asked him to, and he did 3 times that I can remember, but he was a straight shooter. He had a government vehicle just like all recruiters, and that is the exact reason why they have it.

- It's like you said at the beginning of the thread. Just going to have to stick it out for a bit longer, but review your contract, and figure out if it is mandatory for YOU.

- This bothers me to no end though, terrible leadership on his part. Take what this guy is doing right now and use it in your career. When you have an oppurtunity to help your troops out, do it, and don't end up like this bum on a power trip - ROGER UP FOR BOWLING! BOWLING is not PT, it is not Navy knowledge or relevant to training. What a selfish piece of false motivated trash.
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
roofisttu

NO NO NO. You do NOT have to do ANYTHING with DEP, period, if you do not want to. WHen I signed up, I told them, to leave me alone, do not call, do not do anything to me, till 2 days before I leave. I did all my paperwork, and was done.

Hell, they didn't even drive me to MEPS liek they were suppose to. I had my wife do it the night before.

When your in the DEP program, your only obligation is to fullfill your end of the contract by showing up for duty on said date. This is technically a binding contract, however you are NOT in any service until you sign that last contract, and yes, it can change a bit from the original, but you have the choice to fight it, sign it, or don't sign it, and swear in a 2nd time. Once that's done, you become uncle sam's #$#$% lol.

But, if you don't even wanna join and your in the DEP program, you tech don't have to do a thing. You'll be a no show, and someone else will fill your slot. Plenty of people waiting in receptions for ait to take spots.
roofisttu is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.