Commissioning into Air National Guard through AMS -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > General > Military Jeepers > Commissioning into Air National Guard through AMS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Black Friday is coming...Sign up for our Newsletter NOW!!!

Unread 10-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Web Wheeler
2005 TJ Wrangler 
Commissioning into Air National Guard through AMS

Good morning!

I've been hunting around trying to find information on this process from the standpoint of someone who has done it, but it appears that there is no official Air National Guard forum like the Army National Guard has. I've read through everything I could find on the GoANG website but haven't contacted a recruiter yet. I'm interested in anyone's experience or thoughts on this path.

Long story short, I used to volunteer as a FF/EMT on the East coast when I lived there, but now that I am in the Midwest, it is not possible because you can only volunteer in the area you live in - so unless I move to a rural area, I cannot be a volunteer. Unfortunately, I miss that part of my life and having something like that to do.

I am 25 years old and currently have my B.S. in Civil Engineering and work as a Civil/Structural Engineer full time and I am in the process of wrapping up my M.S. in Engineering and becoming a licensed Professional Engineer in the next year or so. I was looking heavily into doing the AMS route and commissioning as a Civil Engineer Officer (32EX). The only real hold up is that I would like to finish my M.S. prior to going to AMS but that's not exactly a big deal - my local ANG base (Camp Perry) has a Civil Engineer squadron so that is more than likely where I would like to end up. I also need to get myself into better shape - I'm not obese but I have a desk job now vs. being a construction I would need some time to start preparing for the fitness test (which any tips would be helpful - I was looking into the guides for BMT and the Academy to get a feel for and find some programs to prepare, they seem to point towards the 100 push ups and 200 sit ups programs, along with couch to 5k).

Any and all advice or tips would be appreciated. Once I get a better feel for everything (since information on AMS seems to be very hard to find and its all super limited), I plan on speaking with a recruiter to discuss my options.

1996 Grand Cherokee
2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
2003 TJ Wrangler 
I'm Army, so not an SME on this, but it looks like the AMS has been transitioned into the OTS?

Physical Training. Not going to write a epic here, but the key is to get OFF the couch / away from the desk for four to six hours a week (multiple programs will get you there, the key is to START and keep it moving). I suggest you start running no matter while you figure it out. You can hit a crossfit gym, find a personal program (some of the ones you listed should suffice), or if the school you are attending has an ROTC (ANY service), you should consider taking their basic course which will include physical training anywhere from 2 to 5 mornings a week. That will force your hand into concentrated movement. You can "join" the ROTCs as an enrolled and not contracted cadet without any obligation / use their PT as a vehicle for your goals--they won't care as long as you are honest with your aspirations.

Good luck.
METT-TC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.