College Freshman Considering Army Reserves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > College Freshman Considering Army Reserves

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

College Freshman Considering Army Reserves

I'm considering enlisting in the Army Reserves. I'm 18 and currently a Freshman at Virginia Tech. I'm in great shape and I've always liked pushing myself. I want to be a high school shop teacher and coach when I get out of college. I would hate to get older and regret not serving my country.

What are the chances to get deployed in Army Reserves? How many times a month would I have to go to base being a full-time student? I would want to do my training this summer but I'm not sure if I'd have time. Class gets out in early May and they pick back up around mid August. I would just like to hear some opinions about being a full time student and Army Reserves.

Thanks,

Luke

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrook View Post
I'm considering enlisting in the Army Reserves. I'm 18 and currently a Freshman at Virginia Tech. I'm in great shape and I've always liked pushing myself. I want to be a high school shop teacher and coach when I get out of college. I would hate to get older and regret not serving my country.

What are the chances to get deployed in Army Reserves? How many times a month would I have to go to base being a full-time student? I would want to do my training this summer but I'm not sure if I'd have time. Class gets out in early May and they pick back up around mid August. I would just like to hear some opinions about being a full time student and Army Reserves.

Thanks,

Luke
Can't say 100% whether you will or you won't but you have accept that the chances are pretty good you will.

After basic and advance individual training (AIT) your "regular" schedule will be one week end a month and two weeks a year. But you should think of that as a minimum.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

What are the chances to get deployed in Army Reserves?
Totally depends on the unit you're with, your MOS and 'where' you're at.

How many times a month would I have to go to base being a full-time student? NORMAL drill is 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. You can volunteer to go on orders throughout the month. This month I'm participating in a security gig mid state, as well as playing parking attendant

I would want to do my training this summer but I'm not sure if I'd have time. Class gets out in early May and they pick back up around mid August. I would just like to hear some opinions about being a full time student and Army Reserves.

Thanks,

Luke
Just a heads up.
Basic sucks (not the things you do they're fun, its mostly the people) they're mostly immature out of HS got in trouble and it was this or jail.

AIT will be fun regardless of your MOS, lots of freedom and you'll have a ton of $$ from basic and your bonus (if you still get one that is ).

After all your training is over you'll be sent to your home town with a date to go to your unit. I HIGHLY suggest contacting the Unit that you'll be attached to once you find out, its good to come back and know the people you'll be working with! Most units are pretty decent in the reserves, just keep in mind they're average people and most aren't in it for a lifetime, they're here for college money.
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Just a heads up.
Basic sucks (not the things you do they're fun, its mostly the people) they're mostly immature out of HS got in trouble and it was this or jail.

AIT will be fun regardless of your MOS, lots of freedom and you'll have a ton of $$ from basic and your bonus (if you still get one that is ).

After all your training is over you'll be sent to your home town with a date to go to your unit. I HIGHLY suggest contacting the Unit that you'll be attached to once you find out, its good to come back and know the people you'll be working with! Most units are pretty decent in the reserves, just keep in mind they're average people and most aren't in it for a lifetime, they're here for college money.
Hasn't been like that for decades.

If it is something you are truly you are considering check into the National Guard. See what they have to offer.

Unread 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hasn't been like that for decades.

If it is something you are truly you are considering check into the National Guard. See what they have to offer.
What benefits does National Guard have over Army Reserve? One of the things I was looking at with the army reserve is them helping pay for college. I read on the website that I could get up to $4500 a year for tuition as a full time student, while getting paid ~$350 a month

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Last edited by LBrook; 09-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Army Reserve, not Army
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Atlas

2010 JK Wrangler 

All branchs have the college perks. And reguardless of which branch you enter...deployment is pretty much a guarentee since we are involved in 3 wars atm. I expect another soon with Iran getting ballzy lately.

"Sometimes I think this is all just a dream but then I remember my dreams always have Tom Selleck in them." - Keith
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Reserves and National Guard have pretty equivalent perks it is more the job types that differ. If you want to be a combat arms type (infantry, armor) then you need to go National Guard. If you want a support or medical job you go Reserves. Check with the units around you to see what jobs are out there and when they last deployed. National Guard has the chance of getting called for state duty in an emergency; Reserves do not. I was a Reservist during college and got mobilized for a year during Desert Storm. Inconvenient but I did earn some good $$.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What benefits does National Guard have over Army Reserve? One of the things I was looking at with the army reserve is them helping pay for college. I read on the website that I could get up to $4500 a year for tuition as a full time student, while getting paid ~$350 a month
All branches will have similar perks. They will have different jobs available. Some states put more money into their Guard than other states. I would suggest checking out all the branches.

I was active for 11 years and National Guard for 1 year in MO. Missouri's Guard had facilities as nice or nicer the Active Army.

Unread 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Do ROTC at your school and go in as an officer.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
Do ROTC at your school and go in as an officer.
This would definitely be something you should consider.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.