Any USAF Pilots Here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Any USAF Pilots Here?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any USAF Pilots Here?

Taking my AFOQT and have a few questions for someone who's been through everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What questions do you have? I'm not all the way through, currently learning to fly the Strike Eagle
bottlerocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm taking my AFOQT on the 20th. What did you think of it? Tough or not so much?

What are the boards like? Pending my AFOQT scores, the soonest rated board deadline is June 7th. So I'm sending out letters to get some references soon(congressman, previous AF folks that I know, college professor).

How long did you wait between the time you found out you were selected by the boards and when you went to OTS?

What's the selection process like for determining who gets to fly what? I'd be happy to fly anything, but a fighter would be ideal. Spent some time growing up at Tyndall AFB so I got spoiled getting to watch F-15s and 16s cruise around all day long.
Quote:
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

AFOQT isn't tough, just get one of the many books out there for the prep and kick it's ***. It's like an easier baby SAT with some pilot specific stuff on it.

I went through ROTC so I can't speak much to OTS. I wasn't able to get any letters of recommendation for the boards at ROTC, they weren't even used as far as I know. Baseops.net has some awesome info as well as wantscheck which is either .com or .net, can't recall which.

Do well on everything always, and don't settle for less. The sooner that is a lifestyle for you the better your chances will be. Civilian pilot ratings will help and hours count.

That's about as much as I have to offer for the OTS side of things. As for selection, there are lots of places that you are stratified amongst your peers. You'll go to IFS first if you do not have a civilian license, and it's purely a screening process. From there you go to primary training to fly the T6. Halfway through your time at UPT you will track select T1 or T38. Typically the top half get their choice and the bottom get what is left. If you are not in the top 50% of your class your chances to get fighters is significantly reduced.

Now you start flying jets, very underpowered and old but jets regardless. Do well here, this is where you are ranked and it's very cut and dry. A class of 10 gets 10 slots for drop night. Top of the class gets first pick, second gets next and so on. This is a very basic look but this is the general idea.

If you manage to get one of the typically 3ish fighters you'll be off to a few more training programs before you actually go to your new airframe: land and water survival, centrifuge, and IFF.

IFF is a serious gut check for some, and is touted as the last ***** screen before sending you off to be a fighter pilot. 2 months of leaning the basics of killing with a jet.

If you've made it this far you will be on your way to the Basic Course for your selected airframe. At any point in this process if they do not deem you worthy you can be washed out and relegated to some desk job. Yes they are critical to the Air Force, but you want to be a fighter pilot, so don't do that.

Final points:
-Always strive to be the best and help your bros be the best as well
-Be the go-to guy as much as possible
-volunteer
-until you make IP in the CAF, never think you are above a job. Every job is an opportunity
-most importantly, never pass on an opportunity to shut up. Take responsibility for YOUR actions but don't take spears you don't deserve (legitimately) and answer the question asked of you. If it's a yes or no question, one of those had better be the response

Good luck! Best job in the world by far.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How'd you get in the seat of an F-15? Was that your top choice? What were your options?
Quote:
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Top choice and only available so it worked out. I'm in the Strike Eagle, so the 2 seater. Also the one with the bright future (vice the C model which is barely hanging on)
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Would it be possible to get your phone number so I can text you and pick your brain?
Quote:
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't know you went through a separate screening process if you don't have a private license already. I had heard it didn't really matter if you had your private or not. I do plan to get my private license though.

Also I've talked to a numer of pilots, some fighter and some heavy lifting. Heavy lifting doesn't have the prestige of fighter pilot, but they do get to travel the world. All the ones I've talked to have been to more countries than you can possibly imagine. Some can even claim having been to every continent on earth.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I didn't know you went through a separate screening process if you don't have a private license already. I had heard it didn't really matter if you had your private or not. I do plan to get my private license though.

Also I've talked to a numer of pilots, some fighter and some heavy lifting. Heavy lifting doesn't have the prestige of fighter pilot, but they do get to travel the world. All the ones I've talked to have been to more countries than you can possibly imagine. Some can even claim having been to every continent on earth.
IFS is the first screening program after you get your rated slot. Previously everyone had to go but it has changed recently so that if you already have a private pilots license you are not required to go.
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's good to know, I've been dragging my feet on starting the process of getting my private. My dad and I want to do it together so hopefully we can start this summer.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Naval Aviators take the FAA exams after winging and get all the quals of the private pilots such as IFR Commercial ratings for a much lower price. I was the XO at NROTC Texas A&M and it was a big kick in the pants for all the guys who picked up pilot slots for the Air Force to be chosen to fly drones.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just got my AFOQT scores back

Pilot: 94
Nav: 91
AA: 95
Verbal: 87
Quantitative: 94

Pretty bummed on the verbal part, but I feel pretty good about my other scores.

Just sent out requests for my letters of recommendation. College professors, previous employers CEOs, law enforcement friends, AF chaplain, pastor, couple chiefs, congressman, and some officers. It pays to have family already in :P

Working with my recruiter right now to get a GPA waiver :/
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.