Any Army Rangers here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Any Army Rangers here?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Any Army Rangers here?

Signed my initial contract in October (need to finish high school and I sign the heavy-duty one) for 11X with Airborne Ranger in my contract. I've been trying to glean any and all information from past and present Rangers about the RASP course and Ranger school itself. I ship out in late July for my OSUT/Airborne/RASP schools at Fort Benning. Right in around 6 months of almost solid training between the three, then I get assigned to a Ranger unit (assuming I survive the RASP selection) and then Ranger School itself. Any advice for a new soldier?

-Evan

Unread 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Run...

Carry lots of heavy stuff...

Run....

Learn to shut up and not complain, not even a grunt...

Run...
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Fair 'nuff! Been doing that for, oh, I would say about the last 4 months. That and swimming. Swimming is a b**** though!
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Go to a sports psychologist and get/learn hypnosis so your mind will be so gung-ho you'll keep going even if a jeep runs over your legs.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I feel like you're joking but you just can't type sarcasm! Haha enlighten me!
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
rdujeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

don't quit.
stfu and listen to those who are in charge of you.
Do everything you can do to prep for ranger school.
OSUT is easy, airborne is easy, be sure to do extra PT during airborne (you'll get the evenings off) to prep for RASP.
Don't do stupid s**t.

read this:
http://www.passranger.com/

and this:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75thRanger/
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/RTB/
http://armyranger.com/ <--- tons of info there, with lots of old and current Rangers.

It'll be helpful if you start learning the Ranger Creed now. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Best info yet! Thanks a ton mano!
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
I feel like you're joking but you just can't type sarcasm! Haha enlighten me!
I wasn't a Ranger but a fellow soldier at Fort Sam was. Frign nutz to. Your mind will be the only thing that keeps you going, especially with no sleep and losing 30 pounds plus while you crave finding some worms to eat. My friend said his buddy was eating some ants and was kicked out because he didn't share. And when you finish and they throw a big bar-b-que for you just sit back and watch everyone else gorge and throw up. Take videos for youtube. Land nav is something I'd reccomend you study before going also. People tend to have trouble with that.

Unread 03-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Land nav is no biggie for me. I've been doing stuff like that since I was 10. My dad loved to take us on hikes and backpacking trips (my pack on our last hike weighed 42.5 pounds... We hiked 8 miles uphill to our campsite at an elevation of 7,500 to around 9,000 ft.) There are certain advantages to living up in Montana If you can run 2 miles in 13 minutes here, you can run it in 11 in Georgia. Losing weight is gonna kill me. I weigh like 140 with zero body fat. Gotta start putting on some weight for Ranger school I guess...
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
nwiTJdave

The problem is you still have a long way to go before you get there. I'd worry more about putting on weight after boot. I cannot attest to Army boot, but at Marine Corps boot, the skinny ****ers come out bigger and the bigger come out smaller. The bigger guys most certainly contain the guys who used to lift prior to boot. I don't know how ait works but if they allow protein shakes, I'd start drinking three shakes a day just to add mass. Since you are 140lbs, I'm guessing you are fairly short. Your biggest problem is going to be short leg syndrome. Now, being short also has its advantage when it comes to log pt and other group pt sessions.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
nwiTJdave

And land nav is where a lot of guys fail. You aren't given a GPS, you have a map, a compass and your pace count. You are not allowed to travel by road and you will be traveling at night through thick bush.

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
rdujeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

pay attention to what I said. Land nav is easy, you'll learn the army way of doing it.

Like I said, Infantry OSUT is easy. Sure you'll get smoked and yelled at and all that noise, but that's the name of the game. Just STFU and do what the Drill Sergeant tells you.

Airborne - easy as ****, seriously. Just STFU and do what the Sergeant Airborne tells you.

That takes care of the first 17 weeks or so (Infantry OSUT 14 wks, Airborne 3 wks).

The rest, I've already said and given you links to get more info. Don't sweat it, just do it. Overanalyzing/Overthinking it has been the downfall of many men.

BTW, in one of the ft benning links I posted, there's a 30,60 & 90 day workout plan prepping you for Ranger School.

Also, once you get into Regt, they will do a lot of work & training with you before sending you to Ranger School.

Now do some pushups and go for a run.
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave
And land nav is where a lot of guys fail. You aren't given a GPS, you have a map, a compass and your pace count. You are not allowed to travel by road and you will be traveling at night through thick bush.
I remember in AIT we were dropped off in the woods at nightfall and given a destination. It started raining cats and dogs and we could hear the javelins running around. Then we heard water rushing. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face. We said screw it and sat down around a tree to spend one miserable wet night. In the morning found a road that everyone else found the night before and spent a dry night at camp. They were out looking for us. Still remember that night, lol!

Unread 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
nwiTJdave

At ranger school you wear a device that the instructors can track you on and see your vitals. No sleeping under a tree, lol.

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave
At ranger school you wear a device that the instructors can track you on and see your vitals. No sleeping under a tree, lol.
There wasn't much sleeping going on that wet night, lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.