Another possible reserve full of stupid questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Another possible reserve full of stupid questions.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
97TJ-Dirtyboy
2001 WJ 

Another possible reserve full of stupid questions.

yea, like the title said, im looking into the marine reserve. been reading other threads about this and understand ill get treated like s*** from AD marines and that I could get deployed. my few questions and thoughts are these:

1. what are the odds of getting deployed? I mean, I could care less if I get deployed but looking reserve to get more schooling
2. if I go reserves, go to basic, then MOS, can I become an officer just from that? im in college now but juss changed my major so itll be another 4 yrs before graduating, so do I have to graduate before I become an officer of can I o for OCS after MOS?
3. If I get deployed, am I considered AD marine and will I get paid like an AD marines?
4. if you could pick ur MOS again, what would it be? I was looking at combat engineer. thoughts?
5. i don't wanna join another branch. I understand I could have it better at another branch but semper fi has been in my familys blood for multiple generations. so please don't clutter the thread with that bull right now please.
6. I haven't talked to a recruiter yet so he didn't fill my head with crap I wanna hear instead of stuff I need to hear. all my intelligence in the reserves is from the website so its not the most helpful but got the ball rolling
7. if I have a good chance getting deployed, is it better to just enlist in the corps and be an AD marine?

Any thoughts and comments will help weigh my options! thank you!

Thanks for all the help!
97TJ-Dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
rdujeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

1. You could deployed, that's a chance you take with getting into any service. While the Iraq War is over, and the POTUS is trying to get us out of A-stan by 2014, there's plenty of other hotspots around the world. You can pretty much bet on the active duty component getting deployed prior to you. Also, in the reserves, this could be dependent upon your unit and when the last time they deployed, etc.

In short, yeah you could get deployed. If you don't want that, then don't sign up.

2. As far as commissioning goes, in the Army you have to have at least 90 credit hours to commission, however you have to complete your Bachelor's prior to getting promoted, so its best to have it done before getting a commission. Also look at ROTC at your college for commissioning opportunities. Ask yourself why you want to be an officer though, its a lot more than just a higher paycheck.

3. If you get deployed, you get paid just like the active duty component. You are active duty for the timeframe that you are deployed.

4. I've only been Infantry, I love being Airborne, and that's all I ever want to be.

5. This is a very close-minded approach, but hey, that's your journey. See what all branches have to offer. Sometimes even telling one branch that you might go to the other will aid in getting you the job you want. Also, to be dismissive of the experiences of other services is a ******* move - especially when you have no experience yourself. Since you'll be a cherry coming into the military, the best thing for you to do is check your ego at the door - otherwise you'll be getting smoked quite a bit.

6. Go down to the local American Legion or Veteran's of Foreign Wars post, ask to speak to Marines and other servicemen & women. They will tell you their experiences. Your experiences will vary from that. Speak to a recruiter, get info from them, and there are probably marine forums that you can post questions to as well. One thing though, promises are bull**** unless they are written down in your contract.

7. This nation has been in one war since 2001, and just ended another war that last 11 years. And there's another war on the brink of happening. It is also undergoing a budget crunch with all the services getting downsized. Pay attention to the national & world news, analyze what is happening in the world, from there you can make a pretty educated guess that deployments will happen again. If you're that concerned about deployments, don't even sign up. I'm tired of kicking kids out who think they aren't getting deployed and then surprise - a deployment comes up.

If active duty will work better for you, then go active duty. Stop worrying about what one component will think of you if you are in the other component. The National Guard and Reserves (of all services) have served their country honorably in multiple deployments. The days of the weekend warrior showing up and doing nothing are (and should be) over. Its been seen that without the National Guard and Reserve components this nation would have not been able to prosecute both wars and many other deployments around the world. These components have shown the same (and in some cases better) capabilities than their active duty counterparts. Let us not forget that US Special Operations Command has some elements that are part of the National Guard and Reserves, and no one would doubt their competency. (And those who do are uneducated idiots).

If you want to finish college, which is advisable considering the current job market and economical situation of the country, then do that and join a reserve component. Some state's National Guard components pay 100% tuition, and I'm sure the reserves have a pretty good benefits program as well.

Keep this mind though. What you are about to go do is not a job, its not a few extra hundred bucks in your pocket, its not a free education. Its service. YOUR service to YOUR country, not the opposite. This life is a dedication to duty, a life of serving something that is bigger and more important than you, and yes you could be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice - or your buddy. This is no small thing, it is huge and life changing. There will be times that it sucks - hard. You'll go through some of the toughest times of your life, but also some of the best. You'll give your all, sacrifice everything, and the general public & politicians generally won't give a **** other than to give you a 10% discount at their store.

Just a few thoughts, from a former sergeant / current officer with multiple deployments in a branch you think is "bull".
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJ-Dirtyboy View Post
yea, like the title said, im looking into the marine reserve. been reading other threads about this and understand ill get treated like s*** from AD marines and that I could get deployed. my few questions and thoughts are these:

1. what are the odds of getting deployed? I mean, I could care less if I get deployed but looking reserve to get more schooling

Highly likely you will be deployed. Marines are an expeditionary force.

2. if I go reserves, go to basic, then MOS, can I become an officer just from that? im in college now but juss changed my major so itll be another 4 yrs before graduating, so do I have to graduate before I become an officer of can I o for OCS after MOS?

Marines don't have officers who serve in the reserves. They have reserve officers but they serve active duty. Once a reserve unit is deploying, they will attach officers to it. Also, you will not go to boot camp if you choose to be an officer. You will go one of two routes. PLC or after you graduate you will go to OCS. For PLC, you go for two 6 week sessions. One between sophomore and junior year and the other between junior and senior years.
3. If I get deployed, am I considered AD marine and will I get paid like an AD marines?

You will not deploy while you are in college unless you enlist. Which in that case, yes you are paid.

4. if you could pick ur MOS again, what would it be? I was looking at combat engineer. thoughts?

If you go officer, you don't get to pick your mos like you would if you enlisted. You will pick land, law or aviation and based upon your rank at ocs is how your choice is decided. They do contract in some aviation though.

5. i don't wanna join another branch. I understand I could have it better at another branch but semper fi has been in my familys blood for multiple generations. so please don't clutter the thread with that bull right now please.

Sounds to me you are looking more for what the national guard has to offer.

6. I haven't talked to a recruiter yet so he didn't fill my head with crap I wanna hear instead of stuff I need to hear. all my intelligence in the reserves is from the website so its not the most helpful but got the ball rolling

Usmc.mil should have most the answers you are looking for. Look up OCS, it should have a good breakdown of at least your concerns about the steps to become an officer.

7. if I have a good chance getting deployed, is it better to just enlist in the corps and be an AD marine?

That depends on what you want to do. They all serve the same flag.

Any thoughts and comments will help weigh my options! thank you!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
MilMJ11
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Agree with above post. Few notes: You don't get assigned your MOS as an officer until halfway through the basic school(TBS), not OCS. PLC or OCC can be a 10-week OCS after college graduation, the two six weeks during college isn't necessary. You can be a reserve officer, assigned to a reserve unit. Definitely no guarantees for MOS, although Reserve Officers are typically assigned based off geographic location and what units are in that area. If you're serious, go talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO). He/she will steer you straight and tell you your options. It's quite competitive now compared to 5-8 years ago. So be smart, confident, and in good shape; the Marine Corps definitely doesn't need people, so don't expect them to be begging you to join, you have to show them you have something to offer. Good luck, hoped this helped.
MilMJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
SGTMcNasty
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdujeep View Post
1. You could deployed, that's a chance you take with getting into any service. While the Iraq War is over, and the POTUS is trying to get us out of A-stan by 2014, there's plenty of other hotspots around the world. You can pretty much bet on the active duty component getting deployed prior to you. Also, in the reserves, this could be dependent upon your unit and when the last time they deployed, etc.

In short, yeah you could get deployed. If you don't want that, then don't sign up.

2. As far as commissioning goes, in the Army you have to have at least 90 credit hours to commission, however you have to complete your Bachelor's prior to getting promoted, so its best to have it done before getting a commission. Also look at ROTC at your college for commissioning opportunities. Ask yourself why you want to be an officer though, its a lot more than just a higher paycheck.

3. If you get deployed, you get paid just like the active duty component. You are active duty for the timeframe that you are deployed.

4. I've only been Infantry, I love being Airborne, and that's all I ever want to be.

5. This is a very close-minded approach, but hey, that's your journey. See what all branches have to offer. Sometimes even telling one branch that you might go to the other will aid in getting you the job you want. Also, to be dismissive of the experiences of other services is a ******* move - especially when you have no experience yourself. Since you'll be a cherry coming into the military, the best thing for you to do is check your ego at the door - otherwise you'll be getting smoked quite a bit.

6. Go down to the local American Legion or Veteran's of Foreign Wars post, ask to speak to Marines and other servicemen & women. They will tell you their experiences. Your experiences will vary from that. Speak to a recruiter, get info from them, and there are probably marine forums that you can post questions to as well. One thing though, promises are bull**** unless they are written down in your contract.

7. This nation has been in one war since 2001, and just ended another war that last 11 years. And there's another war on the brink of happening. It is also undergoing a budget crunch with all the services getting downsized. Pay attention to the national & world news, analyze what is happening in the world, from there you can make a pretty educated guess that deployments will happen again. If you're that concerned about deployments, don't even sign up. I'm tired of kicking kids out who think they aren't getting deployed and then surprise - a deployment comes up.

If active duty will work better for you, then go active duty. Stop worrying about what one component will think of you if you are in the other component. The National Guard and Reserves (of all services) have served their country honorably in multiple deployments. The days of the weekend warrior showing up and doing nothing are (and should be) over. Its been seen that without the National Guard and Reserve components this nation would have not been able to prosecute both wars and many other deployments around the world. These components have shown the same (and in some cases better) capabilities than their active duty counterparts. Let us not forget that US Special Operations Command has some elements that are part of the National Guard and Reserves, and no one would doubt their competency. (And those who do are uneducated idiots).

If you want to finish college, which is advisable considering the current job market and economical situation of the country, then do that and join a reserve component. Some state's National Guard components pay 100% tuition, and I'm sure the reserves have a pretty good benefits program as well.

Keep this mind though. What you are about to go do is not a job, its not a few extra hundred bucks in your pocket, its not a free education. Its service. YOUR service to YOUR country, not the opposite. This life is a dedication to duty, a life of serving something that is bigger and more important than you, and yes you could be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice - or your buddy. This is no small thing, it is huge and life changing. There will be times that it sucks - hard. You'll go through some of the toughest times of your life, but also some of the best. You'll give your all, sacrifice everything, and the general public & politicians generally won't give a **** other than to give you a 10% discount at their store.

Just a few thoughts, from a former sergeant / current officer with multiple deployments in a branch you think is "bull".
Well said sir.

[/COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club - JF132RV[/COLOR]
SGTMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
SGTMcNasty
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have served AD as well as Reserves and I will tell you that being a Reservist is a definitely not more trying than being AD. Some may disagree but as a Reservist you have to balance a full time job/school while maintaining your military time. AD gets to live it everyday so it becomes 2nd nature, not necessarily true for a Reservist. Now, some prior AD personnel have leas issues with this than people coming into the Reserves/Guard right off the street. Like it was said before, it is a huge responsibility so be sure it's what you really want.

[/COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club - JF132RV[/COLOR]
SGTMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
97TJ-Dirtyboy
2001 WJ 

thanks all, Ive talked to quite a few ppl now and reviewing all my options. I have a lot to think over and def don't wanna rush into it andn regret it down the road. but thanks again!

Thanks for all the help!
97TJ-Dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Alex47er
2006 WK 

Being a drilling reservist has its ups and downs my experience is now that I've been in a little over 3 years deff wish I went AD I roll with the gun bunnies as their RO its amazing things you see but as the post above me says you deff have more balance with the life outside the marine corps and it becomes a balancing act for the ad marines I've served with to them its a LIFESTYLE not just a thing you do once a month and then back to school and your regular 9-5 job
Alex47er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.