Yes, I started a new thread....sorry - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Yes, I started a new thread....sorry

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

That's interesting some Liberty's you've driven do it. That's going to make them want to say that it's normal.
I think you're right about the codes just being from them replacing stuff, but that's just my guess.
I've had the front wheel bearings replaced before and that made some interesting sounds and vibrations before it was fixed.

Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

That is exactly what happened at a different dealership I visited. They stated that since a 2010 they had did it, it was normal. I looked directly at the service adviser and said "No, you just showed me that yours is broken too. We can go back and forth forever if you wish. For every bad one you produce, I'll give you one that is fine."

That was part of my conversation with Chrysler as well. My point to them? This is a more common issue than you think. So, I am back at the dealer that was dealing with it in the beginning since Chrysler worked out the loaner car issue. They have not ever tried to tell me it was normal. They actually have been pretty reasonable through-out the whole process.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #18
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I'd like to see you take a test drive in one that had the TSB done, but it would probably be hard to find a KK near you with it done.
What are the specs on the tires you are running and have tried before including brand name?
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

I'll tell you the tires as long as you don't start making "mall crawler" jokes....... LOL

Ironically I am running two sets of the same tires on our daily drivers. They are Yokohama AVID Ascend 235/65/17, load rating 104H. I have a set on the Jeep and on the wife's R350. They are a super quiet and stable all season tire. And yes, if I tried to wheel the Jeep, I would get stuck...

Now when I got it there was a brand new set of Fuzion SUV tires 235/65/17, load rating 108T. They had a more aggressive A/T tread, and did hum a bit, but the vibration stayed the same with either set.
Unread 07-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I know I asked a similar question to this, but does the vibration change at all in overdrive versus accelerating? Ever notice any weird symptoms in reverse?
Unread 07-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

It is the same no matter what the engine speed is. We have tried manually shifting the trans and using tow mode yet the vibration remains the same. Now it does shudder pretty bad if I back up an incline like my driveway, but my reading showed that as normal and haven't given it much thought. When I back out of a parking space it doesn't do it. Now it does do some strange shifting sometimes when passing or somewhat aggressive driving. That too I have attributed to the antiquated transmission and software quirks. Is it something I should be worried about?
Unread 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Everything you just stated about the transmission is very normal.
So do you have the Jeep right now, or does the dealership? I'm guessing yes, but have you tried reflashing the computer by disconnecting the battery? Just trying to think of anything else at all you guys can do.
Unread 07-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

OK. I do appreciate all the help. I don't want to elaborate on the flash...but think "your signature". Do you know if the Transmission uses a separate computer? If so, is it adaptive like the one used in other Chryslers? I know that a fuse pull would clear the adaptive programming in my previous 300C.
Unread 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

There should be a separate TCM, and all 42RLE/45RLE transmissions should be adaptive since around '99.
The dealers can trigger a 'quick relearn' but I don't know if it's possible without the Starscan. (Got my dealer to do this during a service, I was lazy...)
A 30min battery pull may be enough.
Gemdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #25
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Is the vibration the same in 4wd? I could get mine to stop when I engaged 4 hi while driving but I would quickly disengage it. That worked for awhile.
Unread 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Yea, mine seems the same in both. Maybe a little worse in 4wd. Mine has Select Trac so I can mess with it off and on in any conditions.
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #27
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Just want to shout out to Ted15 for taking some time yesterday to drive my Liberty. It was nice to meet another user and talk a bit. Nice guy.. And, he too felt the vibration. He brought up another component that could be a concern. The front differential carrier bearings. Yikes... Man, I really wish the dealer had driven it with the front drive shaft and half shafts out. That has really frustrated me. If they had done that, they would have taken the front differential out of the equation totally. I'll let Ted15 comment further if he wishes.
I will be talking to the dealer this morning regarding next steps.

On a side note, I got to drive his, with the lift. All the talk about OME springs giving the Liberty a better more composed ride are dead on. So, as soon as I get this vibration sorted out, I will definitely be looking to install new springs all the way around. Just need to figure out how to do so and minimize lift.... Yea I know, what's the point of doing that without wanting it lifted? To answer that, drive one with the OME springs. No nose dive. No shudder over expansion joints and potholes. Less sway in turns. Not overly stiff or bouncy like most high rate springs. They got the rates on those perfect!
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #28
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Just want to shout out to Ted15 for taking some time yesterday to drive my Liberty. It was nice to meet another user and talk a bit. Nice guy.. And, he too felt the vibration. He brought up another component that could be a concern. The front differential carrier bearings. Yikes... Man, I really wish the dealer had driven it with the front drive shaft and half shafts out. That has really frustrated me. If they had done that, they would have taken the front differential out of the equation totally. I'll let Ted15 comment further if he wishes.
I will be talking to the dealer this morning regarding next steps.

On a side note, I got to drive his, with the lift. All the talk about OME springs giving the Liberty a better more composed ride are dead on. So, as soon as I get this vibration sorted out, I will definitely be looking to install new springs all the way around. Just need to figure out how to do so and minimize lift.... Yea I know, what's the point of doing that without wanting it lifted? To answer that, drive one with the OME springs. No nose dive. No shudder over expansion joints and potholes. Less sway in turns. Not overly stiff or bouncy like most high rate springs. They got the rates on those perfect!
Glad Ted15 came to help ya a little. Sounds like another member will have some OME springs in the near future. I'm happy I have them installed on mine, too.
I'll be curious what Ted has to say when he pops on here to post about your issue.
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #29
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

OK, a little update. I did express to them that I wanted them to pull the intermediate shaft. Also, based on Ted's input, I told them they need to look at the differential carrier as well. I really think it is in the front axle somewhere. I can be felt in the whole vehicle (like the rearview mirror gets all blurry from vibrating) but is also very prevalent in the steering wheel.

They took it in on the 28th to do more testing. Unfortunately they are at the mercy of what Chrysler engineering is telling them to do. It is up to Chrysler to pay the dealer for their time so the dealer needs to do what they say. Let's just say that both the service manager and I agree that their claimed testing method is nuts. Don't want to put anybody in a awkward position on a public forum. So, I'll just leave it at that.

I hope to find out more this week. Oh well, I really am getting to know the full line of Chrysler/Dodge mini-vans throughout June and July... LOL.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Another update and I'm FREAKIN' PISSED! So, it's been at the dealer since the 28th. Chrysler sent in their regional rep, unannounced, and he evaluated it without me present. Now the dealer is telling me that the rep told them that barring any outright failure, they are not to do anything else.... So, they've had it for three weeks and did nothing. I am definitely not done with Chrysler. I am probably going to have to try fixing this thing on my own. So, my next steps are going to be taking them on within the system. Oh boy, that should be fun. I know that some are probably thinking that this much fighting is just not worth it. To be honest, that is probably what Chrysler wants and is what many others do that have this issue. I will say again, it is more than likely more prevalent than is realized. I have driven others afflicted with the same vibration. OK, I better get back to work.. I just am soooo mad that I have to continue this battle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.