Yakima MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Yakima MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
spotdog14

Yakima MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior?

I am trying to decide between these two gear baskets after a recent camping/off roading trip to the UP of Michigan I have decided I need more room.

Anyways the LoadWarrior is (44 x 39 x 6.5)
And the MegaWarrior is (52 x 48 x 6.5)

Basically we are looking at one that is 8" wider and 9" longer than the other. What one do you think will fit the best on top of my KK? I have a sunroof so I would like it to not interfere with that.

Thanks for any advice!

spotdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Hey Spot Dog,

The Yakima website can match your vehicle up with a specific rack. And couple of other things.

If you have an outfitter store like REI (Recreational Equipment Inc) You can go to rei.com if you become a lifetime member at REI, which is all of $20 they may have some really good deals on it and they guarantee it for life.

A couple more things, if you are using you stock Jeep roof rails, it won't hold as much weight and I beleive Yakima is rated at 160lbs. Yakima will make roof rails for certain model cars. And remember when load it up, you have subtract the weight of basket from the max weight.

Another rack you can look at is Thule, which are also sold as rei.

Good Luck :]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
spotdog14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Hey Spot Dog,

The Yakima website can match your vehicle up with a specific rack. And couple of other things.

If you have an outfitter store like REI (Recreational Equipment Inc) You can go to rei.com if you become a lifetime member at REI, which is all of $20 they may have some really good deals on it and they guarantee it for life.

A couple more things, if you are using you stock Jeep roof rails, it won't hold as much weight and I beleive Yakima is rated at 160lbs. Yakima will make roof rails for certain model cars. And remember when load it up, you have subtract the weight of basket from the max weight.

Another rack you can look at is Thule, which are also sold as rei.

Good Luck :]
Thanks for the advice, the Yakima website says both of them will fit but I am just trying to figure out what one will look better. I think I should be able to fit two coolers in the smaller one so I might just go with that one.
spotdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Np good luck :]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

A couple of things to keep in mind. Once you stick the roof rack up top and load it down with assorted needed items. Your MPG will drop like a rock. Depending on weather conditions and direction of the wind, you may feel it in a loss of power and or acceleration due to wind resistance.
Not sure on a KK, but on a Wrangler you also hear a lot of complaints on added wind noise with a rack on top even if it is unloaded. An empty basket could produce the same results on a KK.
They do look nice, but will the cost and benefits justify the end result.
Another easy inexpensive way to carry extra needed cargo for much less $ maybe to so with a cargo basket that inserts into a receiver hitch. It would carry more weight, easy to remove if not being used, less than $60, no drop in MPG...this is of course only if you have a receiver tow hitch already mounted to your KK.
Just food for thought from a guy who bought a whole box of KK bling and doesn't know what to do with it yet.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
zjfamilyman
1997 ZJ 

A hitch mounted basket, in addition to looking strange, is a big problem off road. A rock that would have been no big deal suddenly becomes a problem. As far as wind and mpg's are concerned, mounting things on the roof really doesn't make that big of a difference. I've put Kayaks, tires, bags, you name it and have never seen a significant difference on my ZJ. Yakima racks also come with a wind fairing so it shouldn't be an issue.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotdog14
Thanks for the advice, the Yakima website says both of them will fit but I am just trying to figure out what one will look better. I think I should be able to fit two coolers in the smaller one so I might just go with that one.
I have the load warrior. Ill see if I can post pics for you later. It's a good fit but is still relatively short compared to the length of the roof, I bet you could put the mega warrior up there with plenty of room and it will still look good. I haven't loaded mine down yet so I can't say anything about that but with it empty i haven't noticed any noise issues or mpg decrease as stated above. It also isn't as wide as the mega warrior, I have about 6-8 inches on each side of the basket, i bet the mega would have filled that space up much better without it hanging over, but my choice in the load warrior was more about the budget at the time i bought it.
Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

I too have the load warrior and IMO it looks whimpy on the roof of a KK. My vote is for the mega warrior. Go with the load warrior if you plan on getting the extension which will make it longer by 4 basket rows (however long that is) but its just doesn't seem to "fit." It'd be nice to have bigger one. My pelican 1780s can't fit in the basket right now and the interior only allows me to carry two at a time.
image-479562404.jpg  
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.