Wrangler Style Off-Road Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wrangler Style Off-Road Lights

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

Wrangler Style Off-Road Lights

Found this jeep on lost. Wondering if anyone knew how to mount a pair of lights by the windshield like the jks. Looks pretty sweet.

b111o.jpg  
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubitzk View Post
Found this jeep on lost. Wondering if anyone knew how to mount a pair of lights by the windshield like the jks. Looks pretty sweet.
Kinda looks like they are clamped to the hood? But that might affect opening the hood, hmm not sure just tried to zoom in really far and look. Definitely a good look though. Would love to have some of the rigid D2's right there!
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

They're cowl lights. Someone did a write up on lost. I'll see if I can find it. I know my buddy did 1 for the KJ, but there is a KK how-to.

This was the best I could find. Links to the pics are broken though, otherwise I think you gotta use a KJ write-up. They should be similar.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=62028
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks! It looks like they made custom brackets. I am going to hunt around and see if there are any to purchase.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI on cowl lights, My buddy has those on his TJ and, while it looks cool, the glare he gets off the hood is maddening. First time he used them he was pissed. Told me to try for myself. Took it for a quick spin. WOW
Wished I had my camera to document the fail.

Just a heads up before you spend time and drill leak holes in your truck.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Just an FYI on cowl lights, My buddy has those on his TJ and, while it looks cool, the glare he gets off the hood is maddening. First time he used them he was pissed. Told me to try for myself. Took it for a quick spin. WOW

Thanks for the heads up, didn't think of that but I could imagine some powerful lights could really blind you with all that glare on the hood. Got kind of excited to do this mod for a second but will probably put my next set on my roof basket.
Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

If you want them for looks then do it, otherwise yes like Drednot stated lots of glare
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Would a hood decal help with the glare at all?... I thought that's what they were for anyways.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Going to cover the whole hood? With lights on the roof you mainly get glare in the center, with cowl lights you get it pretty much all over
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Going to cover the whole hood? With lights on the roof you mainly get glare in the center, with cowl lights you get it pretty much all over
Good point. So what's the point of the hood decal again?
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Its one of those things that had a reason in the past, anymore its just to look the part more than anything ya know
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

I've spoken with the guy who owns that KK,
jckobo

"I bought them from quadratic. They are made for a wrangler. I had to bend them a bit. I had a write up on how I mounted them. Wasn't hard and it's great"

I believe he bent them and drilled into the A pillar to set those up from the brief write up he posted about it.
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I can believe the glare from cowl lights. I feel like you might be able to tow them out and use them to light up the sides more than anything. Not sure if that would work though...
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Good point. So what's the point of the hood decal again?
The main point to the flat black on the hood is to reduce glare from the sun.

Same as the black stuff under the football/baseball players eyes, or the anti-glare panels on military aircraft.

I really noticed the benefit as here in Phoenix, all the streets go east/west. So ,living on the west side, I stare at the sun on the way to and from work for half the year.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
The main point to the flat black on the hood is to reduce glare from the sun.

Same as the black stuff under the football/baseball players eyes, or the anti-glare panels on military aircraft.

I really noticed the benefit as here in Phoenix, all the streets go east/west. So ,living on the west side, I stare at the sun on the way to and from work for half the year.
Yeah I know it serves a purpose, but if I ever get around to doing it, it'd be for looks. Still not sure if I like how it looks on a black KK. More power to ya if it actually works for ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.