worn brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > worn brakes

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
rvjon

worn brakes

After having to replace my spark plugs,coils and wires at 49K miles to try to take care of an intermittent stumble and it not working,I was wondering why I had to replace the plugs that soon. Yes,they were worn. Now at 58K I had to replace the brakes as there was 8mm on the front and 2mm on the back.Yes,I did have them checked at several different shops. It really seems to me that this isn't right. I know that this rig has an automatic braking system like a an engine brake and a tech says that it works on both the engine and the brakes,so I'm wondering if this caused the rear brakes to wear out to fast or are they just cheap brakes.
I also seem to be needing a new muffler and have an oil leak somewhere. After driving my '94 Cherokee Sport with NO problems for four years and 125K miles commuting 90 miles a day and a lot of 4X4 off road with NO trouble,I was expecting a really trouble free rig with this Liberty. Nawp....

rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Rear brakes do wear faster in the rear,rear brakes is not uncommon at 60k or even less.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Rear brakes normally go first because we're rwd(unless in 4wd). Tcs uses the brakes to control tire spin, so naturally the rear spins more.

Plugs are supposed to get changed every 30k miles.

What makes you think you need a new muffler?

Also it might be the crank seals. They're fairly common for the 3.7. I just had my front crank seal replaced on my 2011 with 41k miles.
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjon View Post
After having to replace my spark plugs,coils and wires at 49K miles to try to take care of an intermittent stumble and it not working,I was wondering why I had to replace the plugs that soon. Yes,they were worn. Now at 58K I had to replace the brakes as there was 8mm on the front and 2mm on the back.Yes,I did have them checked at several different shops. It really seems to me that this isn't right. I know that this rig has an automatic braking system like a an engine brake and a tech says that it works on both the engine and the brakes,so I'm wondering if this caused the rear brakes to wear out to fast or are they just cheap brakes.
I also seem to be needing a new muffler and have an oil leak somewhere. After driving my '94 Cherokee Sport with NO problems for four years and 125K miles commuting 90 miles a day and a lot of 4X4 off road with NO trouble,I was expecting a really trouble free rig with this Liberty. Nawp....
Traction control is the main reason for early brake wear. Anytime the rear starts to spin, it gently applies brakes to that wheel to gain traction with the others ( in a very simple way of explaining ) So more wear. For example on my KJ ( without any of that electronic crap) I have done one brake job in 209,000 miles.
As far as plugs they need to be changed every 30,000 miles or so with a good copper core plug, nothing else cheap and easy to do .
Not sure on muffler but should not be needing to be replaced, I know of several that are double/ triple that mileage and stock exhaust yet
Do you ever wash up under it ?
Unread 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
rvjon

I checked the underside while it was up in the air getting the brakes done and everything looked good,excpt that I found evidence of the oil leak,but since it had been raining pretty hard on the way to the brake shop it was hard to determine the exact location. Yes, I do wash it underneath on occasion and no,they don't saly our roads here in the beautiful PNW.
The muffler is starting to sound very raspy,not throaty but raspy.
rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.