Winter Tire Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Winter Tire Advice

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
jetescamilla
2012 KK Liberty 

Winter Tire Advice

I just purchased a 2012 4x4 Liberty KK. Also, In the middle of January we are going to be moving from Arizona to Alaska. Yeah, crazy I know. Let me state that I've driven in snow before on ski trips, a little when we live in Seattle, and while on a work trip to Fairbanks in the middle of winter. But I've never been in an environment where I was in snow for the long haul or in my own vehicle.

I'm fairly sure the current tires are all season, I'll check next time I go out, but are winter tires really necessary with an all wheel drive vehicle? Is the traction on snow and ice that much better? Sorry for the noob type questions, but I am honestly clueless as I've never had to personally account for extreme cold weather. Tire recommendations would also be great.

Thanks

jetescamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

youre gonna need snow tires, and probably chains too. alaska is no joke. 4 wheel drive doesnt make the tires more grippy nor does it help when its time to stop.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Snow tires for sure and make sure they are ICE rated. 4 season tires are no good in very cold climate as the rubber gets hard and has absolutely no traction.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
jetescamilla
2012 KK Liberty 

I was figuring such as that. We will be moving to Juneau which is not as cold as most people think when they hear "Alaska". Still we will have constant snow on the ground from the whole winter. What tires would you all recommend? I assume its common practice to take the tires off/on as the seasons change?
jetescamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Most brand names are good, they will vary in price,traction in snow and or ice, road noise, comfort ,wear index so what they gain in one area ,it will loose in the other. Check what is available in your budget and then compare.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Good winter tire are really a big plus in cold place, even with a 4x4. Always remmember: a 4x4 won't stop faster than a car. I swap my tire before first snow (and not only because it's the law around here, ).

As for suggestion, it depends on the type of millage you do, city/highway? Lots of salt used on the road or not? How often are road cleared? For city driving, a (pretty cheap) deep snow tire work just fine (for me...). For lots of (pretty cleaned up) highway, ice tire work best. If you have lots of state highway with packed snow (that turn into ice..), studded deep snow tire can be a good option. with stud you HAVE to swap then though. There are also some hybrid between ice and deep snow tire available.

Lots of choices.
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Drednot
1974 CJ5 

Here are some videos that will help you understand why the winter rated tires are the way to go. Winter tires are also much superior in rain and wet road conditions. The rubber compounds are optimized to perform best when cold and wet.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I bought a pair of Bridgestone Blizzaks for my Altima, and it was unbelievable in the snow. An Altima is probably the worst front wheel drive vehicle when it comes to driving in the snow especially up hills.

Good luck on your trip
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

X2 on the Bridgestone Blizaks.... They are all I use on my FWD VW's, for over 12 years and they are most certainly superior to any other snow tire.... I use all terrain tires on my Jeeps year round, but if I were to change my tires on the Jeeps seasonally like I do on my cars, Blizaks would be the choice.....

They give unbelievable traction on black ice, snow, slush, or whatever winter throws at you.... And that is with a fwd car, but I have driven subarus with blizaks and you have no concerns... I could only imagine how good they would be on our heavier jeeps.... Moving to Alaska, they are the right move.

Just a fair warning though, they are only for use in cold weather.... If you run them year round, the warm weather will wear them down and you wont get 1 year out of them.... I suggest a separate set of rims, one with Blizaks for the cold season, and one with all seasons for the summer months.....
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

X2 when the temp hits above 80 those thing will wear down quick. Dry traction is about average. Just make sure when you rotate your tires mark them so you know where you used them last and rinse off any salt at the end if the season
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Never had blizzaks but always hear good thing about them.

sure need to rotate them and don't run them during summer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.