Will this support cross rails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Will this support cross rails?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Benshields

Will this support cross rails?

I'm in the roof rack market for my 2011 sport but I am not sure which cross bars will fit my side rails. My side rails look like this http://1-photos2.ebizautos.com/used-...4818-1-640.jpg

Can some one please help me out. I need to get a roof basket before May.

Benshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

You need to get the mopar side rails or aftermarket ones first. Rocky road outfitters is the only aftermarket company making those for a KK as far as I know.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Benshields

So $180 side rails in addition to, on average, a $100 pair of crossbars...that's nearly $300 for the opportunity of putting on a roof basket....there has to be a better way.
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Just get a Rocky Road, basket and rails in one. Maybe rocklizardfabrication.com
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benshields
So $180 side rails in addition to, on average, a $100 pair of crossbars...that's nearly $300 for the opportunity of putting on a roof basket....there has to be a better way.
Buy yourself a tube bender, welder, bandsaw, and a bunch of tube. Thats a better way...
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Benshields

I actually found a pair on my old Cherokee. Now that I have the side bars and cross rails how do I know whether a basket will fit the crossbars?
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

In my way of thinking I believe that the rails you got are the stock rails that are put on all the Liberties, except for the ones that order the Production Side Rails. I'm not sure that the stock ones would even work/hold up if they were used for a roof rack, etc. Although I may never get a roof rack, I just might get the production rails installed as a just-in-case matter. Same reason I had the trailer hitch installed - may never need it or use it but if I did it's there. Plus, if I ever get rid of our Liberty hopefully the added accessories will add some value to it.
Jeep black tube step/side rails
Jeep molded splash guards
Jeep cargo area security cover
Jeep hitch receiver and wiring
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

My Lib came with roof rails and I bought the Jeep cross bars for $130 I think. Anyway when it comes to roof racks make sure you know what type of crossbars your using I know Yakima and Thule are generic meaning they will work on circular, square and oval. I bought the Yakima Load warrior used for $36 normally it's $276 at an REI garage sale, and had a small scratch on it but all of the hard wear was there except the fairings. I also got a rack extension, roof light mounts and stretch net and love it. I know when Yakima tests their racks and rack mounts they test it at about 4g's

Good luck - Thule is another popular roof rack and there are many others
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

I was in the same situation you were in a few months ago and I ordered the RRO set up and I love it. http://www.rocky-road.com/kjrails.html very easy to install and very durable. It fits my Thule snowboard rack perfectly and we're looking at getting a basket for the roof in the summers as well. Company was great to work with and the whole set up cost about $300.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.