Whining noise from rear diff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Whining noise from rear diff

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Whining noise from rear diff

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while but I'm having an issue and would like some advice.

Few weeks ago I noticed a whining noise while I was driving. I couldn't pinpoint it so I took it to Jeep to get it checked out. The technician took a drive with me and immediately said it sounded like a bad bearing in the rear diff. When we went back the service rep said they would "take a look" and let me know when they find out more. They then came back to me and said they wouldn't be able to find out more without opening the diff and to do a breakdown of it and fix the problem would be $1600. That sounded outrageous to me so I contacted digger and he gave me the number to a mechanic. I haven't had the opportunity to drop it off and I am now supposed to drive out of town on Friday. I haven't noticed that it is getting worse, I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar issue and whether or not I am safe to take it out of town and get it fixed next week, or if I am really running the risk of causing more damage by doing so. Any advice would be great, thanks guys.

Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Hmmm must be loud enough if even the technician could here it.
Have you been brutal on it lately?
Up to date on differential oil changes?
By bad bearing in the rear diff, do you mean the wheel bearings?
If so, never heard of a KK with a bad REAR wheel bearing, just front.
Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Haven't been especially rough on it. I had just had the rear diff fluid checked and it was full and clean as of about two weeks before the noise started. It starts as a low whining noise but once I get up to highway speed it does get pretty loud. The mechanic said it was the bearing in the differential. Frankly I'm not familiar with all of the parts inside of a differential. They said over time it could cause damage to the gears and I would end up having to replace more parts. By asking this I'm not saying I want to put this off for a long period of time until it's ruined, I just want to make sure it can handle 1,000 miles over the course of a weekend without it tearing something up. I have noticed no issues with performance at all, it doesn't seem to be getting worse as of yet, no shaking or anything like that. Just a loud whining noise, I've been trying to take it pretty easy on it until I can have it brought in but I know by bringing it in I will have to most likely leave it for a few days. Jeep could do it in a day but I seriously cannot afford $1600 for something that other people are telling me could be done for a few hundred dollars. It just seems weird that my diff fluid was all clean and full a few weeks before. I'm wondering if it started leaking after it got checked and I got some crud up in there afterwards.
Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

The least and most inexpensive thing to do would be to change the rear diff fluid. Pretty easy to do.
If that doesn't solve it, it might be a bit more major.
Gibson exhaust
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

My experience tells me that it can go today or in 6 months, very hard to tell.I had loud bearing noise last for month before replacing them and had minor bearing noise break up and cause hell in a couple of days. Your call .
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Most likely a bad pinion bearing,sadly a known issue with the 8.25's using synthetic gear oil.

Like stated it could grenade in 10 miles or 10,000 miles.$1600 now or a whole new rear end later that's your choice.
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Most likely a bad pinion bearing,sadly a known issue with the 8.25's using synthetic gear oil.

Like stated it could grenade in 10 miles or 10,000 miles.$1600 now or a whole new rear end later that's your choice.
Can you run dino oil in it if synthetic oil has already been put in?
Gibson exhaust
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Can you run dino oil in it if synthetic oil has already been put in?
Yes,that myth has been debunked 30 years ago.
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yes,that myth has been debunked 30 years ago.
Thanks for the verification. Might have to switch back on the next diff oil change.
Gibson exhaust
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Most likely a bad pinion bearing,sadly a known issue with the 8.25's using synthetic gear oil. Like stated it could grenade in 10 miles or 10,000 miles.$1600 now or a whole new rear end later that's your choice.
Which gear oil should be run if not synthetic 75w140?
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Which gear oil should be run if not synthetic 75w140?
85w-140 dino if wheeling and/or towing,straight 80w-90 for normal street use.
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Did you by it new?
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
Did you by it new?
I'm gonna guess his is used. Doesn't seem like many people on this forum bought a "new" KK; just the 2012 owners.
Gibson exhaust
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post

I'm gonna guess his is used. Doesn't seem like many people on this forum bought a "new" KK; just the 2012 owners.
Bought our 2011 Limited brand new. Had 4 miles on it when we left the dealer - including the test drive. First time we'd ever bought new. Might likely be the last time - but I hafta admit it was a cool feeling driving it home.

OP - Gageraid is right, easiest and cheapest first step would be to swap in fresh gear oil.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

There are no miracles in a can,a bad bearing will not get better by changing the oïl.It will only be a bad bearing with new oïl.
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.