Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Where to splice electrical?

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Poncherello 
#1 ·
hi i am new here,
i am installing a second accessory outlet since the original one is a constant/hot circuit. i would like to make this new outlet a switched source so that it would turn on and off with my ignition and my keys in the ACC position. where exactly is the best/easiest place to splice into to get a switched current soucre? i am installing this to plug a car outlet voltmeter into and only want it on when the car starts.
thanks,
Andrew

2008 Jeep Liberty KK

#2 ·
chex96 said:
hi i am new here, i am installing a second accessory outlet since the original one is a constant/hot circuit. i would like to make this new outlet a switched source so that it would turn on and off with my ignition and my keys in the ACC position. where exactly is the best/easiest place to splice into to get a switched current soucre? i am installing this to plug a car outlet voltmeter into and only want it on when the car starts. thanks, Andrew 2008 Jeep Liberty KK
Andrew
I found it was easy to tap into the 12v cigarette lighter circuit. Use that circuit as a trigger for a relay and it will be activated in acc/on mode.
Good luck

#4 ·
My cigarette lighter circuit has constant power to it so when i plug something into it, it always stays on, even when the car is off. So would this still work?
Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "as a trigger for a relay" I'm aware what i relay is, would i have to add another one?

#6 ·
RKK said:
Do we need to change fuse capacity ?
You shouldn't need to if using that circuit to trigger a relay. You don't want to just up the fuse size on any factory wiring. If you do, carry a fire extinguisher :)

chex96 said:
My cigarette lighter circuit has constant power to it so when i plug something into it, it always stays on, even when the car is off. So would this still work? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "as a trigger for a relay" I'm aware what i relay is, would i have to add another one?
That wire should only be energized when the key is turned unless you did that trick where you move a fuse over. What I mean is to wire your relay so it's switched on by that circuit. You would still need to run an appropriately sized wire to the battery to power that relay. You don't want to just put the load of your new power outlet on any factory circuitry.

#14 ·
You shouldn't need to if using that circuit to trigger a relay. You don't want to just up the fuse size on any factory wiring. If you do, carry a fire extinguisher :)

That wire should only be energized when the key is turned unless you did that trick where you move a fuse over. What I mean is to wire your relay so it's switched on by that circuit. You would still need to run an appropriately sized wire to the battery to power that relay. You don't want to just put the load of your new power outlet on any factory circuitry.
is there any possible way you could look up this wiring trick for me? i might have possibly done it without knowing and i would like to change it back. thanks!

#7 ·
AtTheHelm said:
As an electrician I can tell you if you increase fuse sizes on factory wiring you will in fact require the use of an extinguisher. The factory wiring is an absolute minimum. The fuse size for auto wiring would be a code violation for the electrical industry.

What are you powering with your new outlet? How many amps or watts does it consume? That would be helpful to help you figure this out.

#8 ·
AtTheHelm said:
What is this fuse truck you refer to? Curious!

#11 ·
I would never splice into ANYTHING. Years of working on boats, cars, and computers has taught me this.

The tiny, bare-minimum, wiring the OEM companies such as CDJ use on their vehicles is ONLY rated for the output of that one device it's going to. Putting two 12v acc inputs in one OEM line is asking for trouble even though 'it may work' for some.

I would add a new fuse box to your jeep for all additional accessories. ESPECIALLY if you want to run a 12v ACC input that will be running a converter with plugs on it to run generators and TV's, etc.

Such as this:

#13 ·
I would never splice into ANYTHING. Years of working on boats, cars, and computers has taught me this.

The tiny, bare-minimum, wiring the OEM companies such as CDJ use on their vehicles is ONLY rated for the output of that one device it's going to. Putting two 12v acc inputs in one OEM line is asking for trouble even though 'it may work' for some.

I would add a new fuse box to your jeep for all additional accessories. ESPECIALLY if you want to run a 12v ACC input that will be running a converter with plugs on it to run generators and TV's, etc.
if i were to make a fuse box, how would i add a cigarette 12v accessory so that it would be a switched source, instead of a constant hot source?

#15 ·
I added a fuse panel and a switched power outlet using a relay and chronicled it here: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=72386
You can use as much or as little of my setup as you want, but there are a few tips in there about wiring this kind of thing. The fuse you can move to make your stock power outlet on all the time or only with the key is also described in this thread.

#17 ·
The 20 Amp M7 fuse in the KK's main fuse box is for the Jeep's OEM power outlet. It has 2 positions, one that allows the power outlet to be hot all the time, and the other to send power only when the key is in the ACC or ON position.

#20 ·
There are three holes but the fuse has only two pins. Just move the fuse sideways to change the functionality. I don't know what the default was, but I currently have mine on ACC power, because sometimes I leave my electronics plugged into the power outlet and I don't want them to drain the battery while the Jeep is off.

Here is a photo I found on another JeepForum post:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.