Where to splice electrical? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Where to splice electrical?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

Where to splice electrical?

hi i am new here,
i am installing a second accessory outlet since the original one is a constant/hot circuit. i would like to make this new outlet a switched source so that it would turn on and off with my ignition and my keys in the ACC position. where exactly is the best/easiest place to splice into to get a switched current soucre? i am installing this to plug a car outlet voltmeter into and only want it on when the car starts.
thanks,
Andrew

2008 Jeep Liberty KK

chex96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex96
hi i am new here, i am installing a second accessory outlet since the original one is a constant/hot circuit. i would like to make this new outlet a switched source so that it would turn on and off with my ignition and my keys in the ACC position. where exactly is the best/easiest place to splice into to get a switched current soucre? i am installing this to plug a car outlet voltmeter into and only want it on when the car starts. thanks, Andrew 2008 Jeep Liberty KK
Andrew
I found it was easy to tap into the 12v cigarette lighter circuit. Use that circuit as a trigger for a relay and it will be activated in acc/on mode.
Good luck
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
Andrew I found it was easy to tap into the 12v cigarette lighter circuit. Use that circuit as a trigger for a relay and it will be activated in acc/on mode. Good luck
Do we need to change fuse capacity ?
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Andrew
I found it was easy to tap into the 12v cigarette lighter circuit. Use that circuit as a trigger for a relay and it will be activated in acc/on mode.
Good luck
My cigarette lighter circuit has constant power to it so when i plug something into it, it always stays on, even when the car is off. So would this still work?
Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "as a trigger for a relay" I'm aware what i relay is, would i have to add another one?
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
2012KK
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex96 View Post
My cigarette lighter circuit has constant power to it so when i plug something into it, it always stays on, even when the car is off. So would this still work?
Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "as a trigger for a relay" I'm aware what i relay is, would i have to add another one?
Hey neighbor, I live right over in Shelby. Maybe try splicing into the power for your radio. I've installed a few accessories and have used the radio's 12v wire for a switched power source.
2012KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKK
Do we need to change fuse capacity ?
You shouldn't need to if using that circuit to trigger a relay. You don't want to just up the fuse size on any factory wiring. If you do, carry a fire extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex96
My cigarette lighter circuit has constant power to it so when i plug something into it, it always stays on, even when the car is off. So would this still work? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "as a trigger for a relay" I'm aware what i relay is, would i have to add another one?
That wire should only be energized when the key is turned unless you did that trick where you move a fuse over. What I mean is to wire your relay so it's switched on by that circuit. You would still need to run an appropriately sized wire to the battery to power that relay. You don't want to just put the load of your new power outlet on any factory circuitry.
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
sparky952
1999 WJ 

Quote:
You shouldn't need to if using that circuit to trigger a relay. You don't want to just up the fuse size on any factory wiring. If you do, carry a fire extinguisher
As an electrician I can tell you if you increase fuse sizes on factory wiring you will in fact require the use of an extinguisher. The factory wiring is an absolute minimum. The fuse size for auto wiring would be a code violation for the electrical industry.

What are you powering with your new outlet? How many amps or watts does it consume? That would be helpful to help you figure this out.
sparky952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
sparky952
1999 WJ 

Quote:
That wire should only be energized when the key is turned unless you did that trick where you move a fuse over. What I mean is to wire your relay so it's switched on by that circuit. You would still need to run an appropriately sized wire to the battery to power that relay. You don't want to just put the load of your new power outlet on any factory circuitry.
What is this fuse truck you refer to? Curious!
sparky952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky952
What is this fuse truck you refer to? Curious!
I remember reading that you can move the fuse for the cig lighter to have it powered all the time. I haven't done it, I'd forget to unplug that charger or whatever and drain the battery.
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012KK View Post
Hey neighbor, I live right over in Shelby. Maybe try splicing into the power for your radio. I've installed a few accessories and have used the radio's 12v wire for a switched power source.
Thanks i will look into it!
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

I would never splice into ANYTHING. Years of working on boats, cars, and computers has taught me this.

The tiny, bare-minimum, wiring the OEM companies such as CDJ use on their vehicles is ONLY rated for the output of that one device it's going to. Putting two 12v acc inputs in one OEM line is asking for trouble even though 'it may work' for some.

I would add a new fuse box to your jeep for all additional accessories. ESPECIALLY if you want to run a 12v ACC input that will be running a converter with plugs on it to run generators and TV's, etc.

Such as this:

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
AtTheHelm

Yeah, I tried using the headlight high beam circuit to trigger a relay for my led bar. Even the tiny amount of extra draw caused the tipm to detect something wrong, which makes the headlights not work. Fun stuff to find out when you need to drive home in the dark.
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvac View Post
I would never splice into ANYTHING. Years of working on boats, cars, and computers has taught me this.

The tiny, bare-minimum, wiring the OEM companies such as CDJ use on their vehicles is ONLY rated for the output of that one device it's going to. Putting two 12v acc inputs in one OEM line is asking for trouble even though 'it may work' for some.

I would add a new fuse box to your jeep for all additional accessories. ESPECIALLY if you want to run a 12v ACC input that will be running a converter with plugs on it to run generators and TV's, etc.
if i were to make a fuse box, how would i add a cigarette 12v accessory so that it would be a switched source, instead of a constant hot source?
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post

is there any possible way you could look up this wiring trick for me? i might have possibly done it without knowing and i would like to change it back. thanks!
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I added a fuse panel and a switched power outlet using a relay and chronicled it here: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=45&t=72386
You can use as much or as little of my setup as you want, but there are a few tips in there about wiring this kind of thing. The fuse you can move to make your stock power outlet on all the time or only with the key is also described in this thread.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.