Wheelchairs and Bike Racks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wheelchairs and Bike Racks

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
PirateSHU1

Wheelchairs and Bike Racks

Help! I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot that does not have a hitch. I am planning a road trip and my mom would like to bring her wheelchair (she also uses a walker) instead of renting one at our destination. She wants it for on the way "just in case".

Here's the problem...There are five of us going (me, my mom and three nieces aged 11, 14 and 16) on the trip and we currently use a rooftop carrier in addition to the cargo room. The wheelchair would take up at least half of the cargo room. As an added bonus, I travel with pack rats who like to bring everything with my mom being one of the top two offenders. The wheelchair would either have to be put on the bottom of all of the luggage necessitating unpacking the entire thing to get at it "just in case" or require me lifting in to put in on top of all of the luggage which will have us losing precious cargo room not to mention crushing the luggage. No way in hell I could ever get it into the rooftop carrier. Oh, and did I mention that I'm 5'2" and about 120 lbs.? Yeah, this isn't sounding like fun for me.

So here's my idea...can I get a bike rack and put the wheelchair on there? Has anyone done that, successfully? What sort of bike rack would I need?

I really do not want my mom to back out of going on the trip (she suggested staying home and looked absolutely miserable at the thought of it because this is an annual trip with her granddaughters that we have done for about nine years now).

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions so my mom will feel more comfortable and I won't lose my mind (or get seriously injured)?

Thanks!

Last edited by PirateSHU1; 05-15-2013 at 11:16 AM..
PirateSHU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
PirateSHU1

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. Still, if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
PirateSHU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

How about something like this trailer hitch cargo basket? I got mine at Wal-Mart for something like $65. (I just grabbed the image from the web- mine is not this brand, but you get the idea.) Of course you would need to add a hitch. Adding the hitch might not be so expensive since you wouldn't need the trailer light wiring harness for this basket. A quick look online and I found $140 for the hitch with free shipping. You could bolt it on yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.