Wheel spacers?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wheel spacers??

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
LUV4JEEP

Wheel spacers??

Is there any benefit to them besides the "stance" I've been looking at them for awhile now but do they create a "weak point" ?

Any comments questions would be great!

LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

They'll move your tires further away from stuff if they rub plus I think the backspace is too deep on the stock rims. That said, it probably isn't the best way to correct anything and a set of steel rims with better backspace cost is close enough to be a better option.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I run spacers on mine. The KK is a road hog with them. Those skinny roads are fun when the oncoming driver doesn't move over.
Benefits? Not sure if there are any.
I think I've read they are not good for offroad, but I'll let someone else verify that.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They put more stress on your bearings and ball joints, increase your turning circle, scrub your tires more, decreases axle clearance, increases the chance that your wheel will fall off, are illegal in some jurisdictions, etc., etc.

They are for looks only. But they are a popular fix for unfortunate wheel/tire/suspension choices.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
LUV4JEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot
They put more stress on your bearings and ball joints, increase your turning circle, scrub your tires more, decreases axle clearance, increases the chance that your wheel will fall off, are illegal in some jurisdictions, etc., etc. They are for looks only. But they are a popular fix for unfortunate wheel/tire/suspension choices.

This is what I was thinking and why I haven't bought them yet
LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good deal. Don't buy headaches.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

There is absolutely nothing wrong with quality, properly installed and torqued, hub/lug centric wheel spacers. I have personally been running them on my WK for nearly 2 years and 1000s of driving, wheeling, towing miles. Zero issues.

Check the torque on them at every 3K mile maintenance interval while rotating the tires and you'll be fine. I know people who run them on nearly every platform out there and I have yet to personally hear of anyone's wheel fall off or prematurely wear out hub bearings or bend an axle, etc., etc...........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with quality, properly installed and torqued, hub/lug centric wheel spacers. I have personally been running them on my WK for nearly 2 years and 1000s of driving, wheeling, towing miles. Zero issues.

Check the torque on them at every 3K mile maintenance interval while rotating the tires and you'll be fine. I know people who run them on nearly every platform out there and I have yet to personally hear of anyone's wheel fall off or prematurely wear out hub bearings or bend an axle, etc., etc...........
Add me to that list. I run them on my KK with no problems.
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Very illegal to run them in some states
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Very illegal to run them in some states
This gets posted every time I see a thread discussing spacers yet I'm all over the boards here in JeepForum and folks all over the country run them.

What states are wheel spacers illegal? Not adapters, true hub/wheel/lug centric spacers (Spidertrax, RoughCountry, Bora, etc).

Anybody know?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'm on a lot of boards as well and have been since the beginning.
have saw it listed many times
Pennsylvania is one state here close by that I know for sure and their are others as well
Many run them and good luck to you, but its just something else to go wrong
would never recommend them to anyone that I know or work on theirs
If you look close lots of places advertise them " for offroad use only"

Quick 3 minute search shows Utah, Virginia and Massachusetts as well
BUT its enough to show that yes there are actually states out there that do indeed consider them illegal.
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

They also put more stress on the hub. It seems like you'll lessen the backspace but the actual leverage on the bearing is like a deeper backspace. Like a longer prybar. The backspace is already too deep IMO. It actually costs less to buy steel rims with the backspace you want.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
They also put more stress on the hub. It seems like you'll lessen the backspace but the actual leverage on the bearing is like a deeper backspace. Like a longer prybar. The backspace is already too deep IMO. It actually costs less to buy steel rims with the backspace you want.
They don't put anymore stress on the hub than a deeper bs'ing or offset.

That last sentence is definitely true for the most part.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

It's hard to visualize but they do. It's not the same as less backspace. The bearings are pretty tough though.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Illegal in New Jersey.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.