JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Wheel spacers?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/wheel-spacers-1700978/)

LUV4JEEP 10-19-2013 01:50 PM

Wheel spacers??

Is there any benefit to them besides the "stance" I've been looking at them for awhile now but do they create a "weak point" ?

Any comments questions would be great!

Ted15 10-19-2013 07:46 PM

They'll move your tires further away from stuff if they rub plus I think the backspace is too deep on the stock rims. That said, it probably isn't the best way to correct anything and a set of steel rims with better backspace cost is close enough to be a better option.

Gageraid 10-19-2013 08:30 PM

I run spacers on mine. The KK is a road hog with them. Those skinny roads are fun when the oncoming driver doesn't move over.
Benefits? Not sure if there are any.
I think I've read they are not good for offroad, but I'll let someone else verify that.

Drednot 10-19-2013 09:52 PM

They put more stress on your bearings and ball joints, increase your turning circle, scrub your tires more, decreases axle clearance, increases the chance that your wheel will fall off, are illegal in some jurisdictions, etc., etc.

They are for looks only. But they are a popular fix for unfortunate wheel/tire/suspension choices.

LUV4JEEP 10-19-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drednot
They put more stress on your bearings and ball joints, increase your turning circle, scrub your tires more, decreases axle clearance, increases the chance that your wheel will fall off, are illegal in some jurisdictions, etc., etc. They are for looks only. But they are a popular fix for unfortunate wheel/tire/suspension choices.

This is what I was thinking and why I haven't bought them yet

Drednot 10-20-2013 11:23 AM

Good deal. Don't buy headaches.

JeepN4KC 10-30-2013 09:58 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with quality, properly installed and torqued, hub/lug centric wheel spacers. I have personally been running them on my WK for nearly 2 years and 1000s of driving, wheeling, towing miles. Zero issues.

Check the torque on them at every 3K mile maintenance interval while rotating the tires and you'll be fine. I know people who run them on nearly every platform out there and I have yet to personally hear of anyone's wheel fall off or prematurely wear out hub bearings or bend an axle, etc., etc...........

Gageraid 10-30-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 17288106)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with quality, properly installed and torqued, hub/lug centric wheel spacers. I have personally been running them on my WK for nearly 2 years and 1000s of driving, wheeling, towing miles. Zero issues.

Check the torque on them at every 3K mile maintenance interval while rotating the tires and you'll be fine. I know people who run them on nearly every platform out there and I have yet to personally hear of anyone's wheel fall off or prematurely wear out hub bearings or bend an axle, etc., etc...........

Add me to that list. I run them on my KK with no problems. :highfive:

tommudd 10-30-2013 02:25 PM

Very illegal to run them in some states

JeepN4KC 10-30-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 17295602)
Very illegal to run them in some states

This gets posted every time I see a thread discussing spacers yet I'm all over the boards here in JeepForum and folks all over the country run them.

What states are wheel spacers illegal? Not adapters, true hub/wheel/lug centric spacers (Spidertrax, RoughCountry, Bora, etc).

Anybody know?

tommudd 10-30-2013 03:55 PM

:rofl:
I'm on a lot of boards as well and have been since the beginning.
have saw it listed many times
Pennsylvania is one state here close by that I know for sure and their are others as well
Many run them and good luck to you, but its just something else to go wrong
would never recommend them to anyone that I know or work on theirs
If you look close lots of places advertise them " for offroad use only"

Quick 3 minute search shows Utah, Virginia and Massachusetts as well
BUT its enough to show that yes there are actually states out there that do indeed consider them illegal.

Ted15 10-30-2013 04:16 PM

They also put more stress on the hub. It seems like you'll lessen the backspace but the actual leverage on the bearing is like a deeper backspace. Like a longer prybar. The backspace is already too deep IMO. It actually costs less to buy steel rims with the backspace you want.

JeepN4KC 10-30-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted15 (Post 17299010)
They also put more stress on the hub. It seems like you'll lessen the backspace but the actual leverage on the bearing is like a deeper backspace. Like a longer prybar. The backspace is already too deep IMO. It actually costs less to buy steel rims with the backspace you want.

They don't put anymore stress on the hub than a deeper bs'ing or offset.

That last sentence is definitely true for the most part.

Ted15 10-30-2013 06:05 PM

It's hard to visualize but they do. It's not the same as less backspace. The bearings are pretty tough though.

Gageraid 10-30-2013 09:11 PM

Illegal in New Jersey. :shhh:

The time now is 03:05 PM.