Wheel bearing, axle/CV question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wheel bearing, axle/CV question!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel bearing, axle/CV question!

Well, it's time to replace one, probably two wheel bearings on my 08 KK. It's making a pretty good groaning noise now that's speed dependent. It goes away when I steer right, and gets louder when I turn left. In my experience, this has meant that the right wheel bearing would be bad. However, when I jacked the front end up, the left wheel had more play (12 and 6 o'clock positions, wiggle the wheel back and forth. Shouldn't have any play) than the right wheel. Seems like maybe it's time for both wheel bearings?

Which leads me to another issue. Obviously the axle nut has to come off to replace the wheel bearing. My axle nuts are so rusted, and the stud on the end of the axle so rusted that as I tapped it with a hammer (in an effort to get the rust off) the threads just started falling off haha. It was so bad you could hardly tell that the end of the axle HAD threads on it. If I can't get the nut off with the impact, I'll cut it off - wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that.

So, would it be better to grab the whole axle then to replace this one? Or can you just change the outer CV joint? Normally it's more cost effective to just grab a new axle, but I've never done the CV joint. Any suggestions here? Just grab a new axle? Thanks guys!

TurboGoKart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My experience with two other IFS vehicles is that it is cheaper to go with new axle assemblies.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Replaced both my front hubs last week. You could shake it all you want, and there was no play. Just a horrible noise that I thought was everything but the hubs. Dealer took care of the work.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Should I probably go ahead and replace both oil seals on the front transfer case while I have the axles out?
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Btw, I picked up both hub assemblies/bearings for the front off of www.rockauto.com for $10 more than what I paid for just one at Advance Auto.
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGoKart View Post
Btw, I picked up both hub assemblies/bearings for the front off of www.rockauto.com for $10 more than what I paid for just one at Advance Auto.
I bought a in cabin filter from Rock Auto and no issues and would of paid twice as much at Advance Auto.
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGoKart View Post
Well, it's time to replace one, probably two wheel bearings on my 08 KK. It's making a pretty good groaning noise now that's speed dependent. It goes away when I steer right, and gets louder when I turn left. In my experience, this has meant that the right wheel bearing would be bad. However, when I jacked the front end up, the left wheel had more play (12 and 6 o'clock positions, wiggle the wheel back and forth. Shouldn't have any play) than the right wheel. Seems like maybe it's time for both wheel bearings?

Which leads me to another issue. Obviously the axle nut has to come off to replace the wheel bearing. My axle nuts are so rusted, and the stud on the end of the axle so rusted that as I tapped it with a hammer (in an effort to get the rust off) the threads just started falling off haha. It was so bad you could hardly tell that the end of the axle HAD threads on it. If I can't get the nut off with the impact, I'll cut it off - wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that.

So, would it be better to grab the whole axle then to replace this one? Or can you just change the outer CV joint? Normally it's more cost effective to just grab a new axle, but I've never done the CV joint. Any suggestions here? Just grab a new axle? Thanks guys!
For the CVs , Only use NAPA remanned or new, forget buying at Autozone and junk places like that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.