What type/brand/size/length tow strap should I get? how many lbs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > What type/brand/size/length tow strap should I get? how many lbs?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
JeepLiberty2011
2011 KK Liberty 

What type/brand/size/length tow strap should I get? how many lbs?

Looking to purchase a tow strap off Amazon to keep in the back of my 2WD Jeep Liberty just in case when I go camping off some forest service roads (others usually come with me that have trucks & such).

I have never purchased a tow strap before so I am not sure what I am looking for...

Any help from the experts would be much appreciated!

They seem to be rated in lbs ranging from 4k lbs to 30k lbs...

JeepLiberty2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
AtTheHelm

Make sure its a kinetic snatch strap that stretches. I recommend just getting an ARB or TJM strap. A lot of the less expensive ones like smittybuilt claim things that aren't true.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I had a guy come into work asking to use climbing rope for a tow rope on his ATV I'm like are you kidding me.
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get one thats at least 3" wide and does NOT have metal hooks. You will need front and rear tow hooks/recovery points to attach it to

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
I had a guy come into work asking to use climbing rope for a tow rope on his ATV I'm like are you kidding me.
My rappelling rope is WLL at 10,000LBS and I've used a piece of it (doubled) for recovery before. What's the problem with that?
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

We use parachord all the time to tie things down or pull things out. It's basically rappelling rope except a little thinner. But it still has a high tinsel strength
VnKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
My rappelling rope is WLL at 10,000LBS and I've used a piece of it (doubled) for recovery before. What's the problem with that?
Would you use it for rappelling again after recovery? If so there's a Darwin Award in it for you. recovery straps are built for recovery. I carry four of them only because my fifth one broke when trying to recover this mess:

I would suggest a couple recovery straps and a snatch strap like the bubba rope. Getting home safely should always be above having a good time on everyone's checklist.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VnKJeep View Post
We use parachord all the time to tie things down or pull things out. It's basically rappelling rope except a little thinner. But it still has a high tinsel strength
Both not designed as a high load rope and the stresses involved.A stuck Jeep in say deep mud will almost reach the limits of a 15,000lbs recovery strap.

I carry a 2"x30' 30,000lbs rated recovery strap at all times in addition to my 100' 21,000lbs synthetic winch rope.When I do a trail run I also throw in my 4'x30' 50,000lbs recovery strap for good measure.If it wasn't so bulky I would carry my 8"x100' 250,000lbs strap but I ended up giving that to my father to be used as intended in recovery of stuck tractors and combines.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
AtTheHelm

The reason for a kinetic type recovery strap that stretches is to cut the shock load and much less stress on both vehicles. The recoil action does a lot of work.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Would you use it for rappelling again after recovery? If so there's a Darwin Award in it for you. .
You deserve one for asking a question that dumb.
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Both not designed as a high load rope and the stresses involved.A stuck Jeep in say deep mud will almost reach the limits of a 15,000lbs recovery strap.

I carry a 2"x30' 30,000lbs rated recovery strap at all times in addition to my 100' 21,000lbs synthetic winch rope.When I do a trail run I also throw in my 4'x30' 50,000lbs recovery strap for good measure.If it wasn't so bulky I would carry my 8"x100' 250,000lbs strap but I ended up giving that to my father to be used as intended in recovery of stuck tractors and combines.
Well, so far the piece I've used has hauled out a minivan buried to the frame, pulled a drilling stem up 100 feet in the air, pulled an equipment trailer and tractor out of pure sludge (tractor buried to the frame) flat towed a Camry 35 miles (nearest shop) when the head gasket blew, and pulled a live oak stump out of the ground using an RV. Not necessarily in that order. And never had any problems. But in the meantime I've torn up about 3 tow straps and the smallest one was "rated" for 25,000lbs. And when I say torn I mean they ripped. In the middle. So ill keep using my rope, thanks. :thumbs up:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.