what is this part!?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > what is this part!?!?!?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
dtj8995
2008 KK Liberty 

what is this part!?!?!?

So on my way back to the office in the beautiful Michigan Polar Vortex and I was rear-ended by a woman...naturally her father had passed, she was on the way to the ER to see he mother...oh and she had no insurance. None the less, all that was damaged was the left rear part of my bumper. No tail-light, lift gate, etc damage. My question is does anyone know what this black box-ish thing is hanging from the drivers side rear end of my Liberty? To me it looks important. It's an 08 liberty sport 4x4. I will eventually have the bumper fixed; however, Im going to wait until spring when the snow and ice is gone! So I would like to know what it is and how many clothes hangers I need to use to keep it in place...lol... Sad sad sad! Thanks for the help

jeep-booboo.jpg   wp_20140108_005.jpg  
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Looks like the evap canister to me.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

Evap cannister. Its a charcoal filled canister filters gasoline fumes so they don't pollute the environment. If you don't have a check engine light then it should be working. Hope she's paying for it, you're probably looking at $1300-$1600 in damage.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Afliberty12
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj8995 View Post
So on my way back to the office in the beautiful Michigan Polar Vortex and I was rear-ended by a woman...naturally her father had passed, she was on the way to the ER to see he mother...oh and she had no insurance. None the less, all that was damaged was the left rear part of my bumper. No tail-light, lift gate, etc damage. My question is does anyone know what this black box-ish thing is hanging from the drivers side rear end of my Liberty? To me it looks important. It's an 08 liberty sport 4x4. I will eventually have the bumper fixed; however, Im going to wait until spring when the snow and ice is gone! So I would like to know what it is and how many clothes hangers I need to use to keep it in place...lol... Sad sad sad! Thanks for the help
Where in Michigan??
Afliberty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Michigan has no fault anyways. Your insurance should cover it
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
Evap cannister. Its a charcoal filled canister filters gasoline fumes so they don't pollute the environment. If you don't have a check engine light then it should be working. Hope she's paying for it, you're probably looking at $1300-$1600 in damage.
Seems like the perfect excuse to upgrade to a "Helm's Rear Bumper".

Hmmmmmm....thoughts running through my head now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Yeah if I remember correctly your insurance should cover it fully. I'm originally from Battle Creek and we were rear ended (and front ended) in each of our cars, each time the police report put the other person at fault and our insurance covered it fully.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
dtj8995
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for all of the replies. Definitely helpful... Helm's is awesome. Afliberty12 I live in Kalamazoo. She's definitely not paying...it would be like squeezing blood out of a rock...and court costs aren't worth it. ah...just a day in the life... Thank again guys!
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
dtj8995
2008 KK Liberty 

Just an update, Progressive paid for everything....new bumper, evap cannister, the whole shebang. quite happy!
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
strace
2009 KK Liberty 

Loving the Polar Vortex over in port huron.....or not so much!! Looking forward to the 8 inches of snow tomorrow to play in though! U mean people in Michigan don't have insurance or money to pay when they get in to an accident?? Get outta here LOL
strace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj8995 View Post
Just an update, Progressive paid for everything....new bumper, evap cannister, the whole shebang. quite happy!
So you getting it fixed now or still going to wait until Springtime to do it?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.