What do I need to go snow wheeling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > What do I need to go snow wheeling?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

What do I need to go snow wheeling?

Was watching this video and...Snow Wheeling and was thinking about how fun it would be to go out in snow that deep and not have to worry about getting stuck. Was wondering what kind of gear I'd need on my Jeep though. I've got a Liberty KK 4x4 with standard 17" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires (which are rated 9/10 for snow on TireRack, and I like them a lot and they're good in the snow, but there's definitely been situations where I feel like if I go any further I'll get stuck so I've turned around). Do you just need a set of great snow tires a few inches bigger than stock, or what is it? I'd want a setup that can be installed and removed pretty easily so something like a lift kit wouldn't work -- I drive too fast on the road to be able to afford being any more top heavy. If it's as simple as a new set of wheels and tires, easy enough to put those on before I head up to the mountains. But I have no idea what's required. Fill me in!

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 • WeatherTech Floor Liners • Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You will need a lift to mount bigger tires,not a easy swap in/out type of deal.Plus a lift does not make your Jeep anymore unstable if you get a good lift,in most cases will actually make it ride better(spacer lifts not included,worse ride).Jeeps are not high speed vehicles.For deeper snow busting like in the video you will need better tires then AT's,you will want MT's.Then after adding bigger tires past the 31" size you will want to re-gear the axles as well.
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You will need a lift to mount bigger tires,not a easy swap in/out type of deal.Plus a lift does not make your Jeep anymore unstable if you get a good lift,in most cases will actually make it ride better(spacer lifts not included,worse ride).Jeeps are not high speed vehicles.For deeper snow busting like in the video you will need better tires then AT's,you will want MT's.Then after adding bigger tires past the 31" size you will want to re-gear the axles as well.
Jeeps might not be designed to be high-speed vehicles, but I can't say I don't use mine like one. It's just how I drive.

I'm intrigued that a lift would actually make the ride better. How could it do that? Do you mean in terms of comfort? How much would I need to lift by to accommodate 26" or so wheels (and would that cut it for deep snow wheeling)?

Also, by AT tires do you mean All Terrain? What are MT tires? Which are the best you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post
Jeeps might not be designed to be high-speed vehicles, but I can't say I don't use mine like one. It's just how I drive.

I'm intrigued that a lift would actually make the ride better. How could it do that? Do you mean in terms of comfort? How much would I need to lift by to accommodate 26" or so wheels (and would that cut it for deep snow wheeling)?

Also, by AT tires do you mean All Terrain? What are MT tires? Which are the best you'd recommend?

Thanks!
26" wheels don't belong on anything and will be destroyed in seconds offroad,even in snow.For wheeling you want the smallest diameter rims and the biggest overall diameter tires,for a KK 16" rims is the smallest and with a 4" lift and some trimming you can fit 33" tires easily(or 285/75R16's).

JBA has the best lift for the KK right now,I'd highly recommend the adjust and strut version.
JeepinbyAl.com - Product Catalog - Jeep Liberty KK

A quality lift will have better engineered shocks and coils which gives a better ride,along with better tires(then the "P" rated OEM ones) also help with the better ride.Check out LOSTJeeps.com and PM Diggerfreak about the KK lifts and how they ride.

MT tires are "Mud Terrain" tires,very aggressive tread for mud,snow,and rocks.Your wallet and what you can live will depends on the MT tire you want.The new GoodYear MT/R Kevlars are great.Don't expect long life from a MT tire compared to a "P" rated or AT tire.
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Since you're in LA, the first thing you are going to need is snow. Apparently you will also need some really crappy music. We had a blizzard this past winter that dumped 32" on us. My JK had no issues. My wife's KK had some issues when it came to ground clearance. From the looks of that video (I couldn't handle more than a minute of the music) a stock KK could handle that.
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Since you're in LA, the first thing you are going to need is snow. Apparently you will also need some really crappy music. We had a blizzard this past winter that dumped 32" on us. My JK had no issues. My wife's KK had some issues when it came to ground clearance. From the looks of that video (I couldn't handle more than a minute of the music) a stock KK could handle that.
A stock KK could definitely not handle at 6:38 in the video.
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
26" wheels don't belong on anything and will be destroyed in seconds offroad,even in snow.For wheeling you want the smallest diameter rims and the biggest overall diameter tires,for a KK 16" rims is the smallest and with a 4" lift and some trimming you can fit 33" tires easily(or 285/75R16's).

JBA has the best lift for the KK right now,I'd highly recommend the adjust and strut version.
JeepinbyAl.com - Product Catalog - Jeep Liberty KK

A quality lift will have better engineered shocks and coils which gives a better ride,along with better tires(then the "P" rated OEM ones) also help with the better ride.Check out LOSTJeeps.com and PM Diggerfreak about the KK lifts and how they ride.

MT tires are "Mud Terrain" tires,very aggressive tread for mud,snow,and rocks.Your wallet and what you can live will depends on the MT tire you want.The new GoodYear MT/R Kevlars are great.Don't expect long life from a MT tire compared to a "P" rated or AT tire.
Any photos of a KK with a 4" lift kit? Considering the MT tires don't last long, would I be able to swap back and forth between the OEM wheels and wheels fitted with the 33" MT tires? If not, will the 33" GoodYear MT/R Kevlars fit on the OEM wheels? Also, I assume a 4" lift kit means 4" of more ground clearance (so 7.8" to 11.8"?)

Speaking of ground clearance, is it just mean or is it a disappointment that the KK only has less than 8"? The Porsche Cayenne Turbo, which isn't even designed for off-road has 8.5" of ground clearance.
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

A Porsche Cayenne isnt a 20K dollar Jeep, it cost alot more money. Also no it does not give you 11.8" of clearance. Your Differentials are you lowest point which is what gives you your ground clearance number. The only way to increase diff clearance is bigger tires. You would be surprised what a stock liberty can do.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Any photos of a KK with a 4" lift kit? Considering the MT tires don't last long, would I be able to swap back and forth between the OEM wheels and wheels fitted with the 33" MT tires? If not, will the 33" GoodYear MT/R Kevlars fit on the OEM wheels? Also, I assume a 4" lift kit means 4" of more ground clearance (so 7.8" to 11.8"?)

Speaking of ground clearance, is it just mean or is it a disappointment that the KK only has less than 8"? The Porsche Cayenne Turbo, which isn't even designed for off-road has 8.5" of ground clearance.
Here is Digger's KK with JBA's 4" lift.

As far as the ground clearance the Porsche has IFS/IRS which gives more ground clearance then the IFS/SRA the KK has.On the plus side the rear solid axle in the KK is much stronger then the Porsche diffs.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
A stock KK could definitely not handle at 6:38 in the video.

I trust you. No way I could listen to 6 more minutes of that music. Of course I could have turned the sound of, but I don't have 6 minutes of patience either.
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elt31987 View Post
A Porsche Cayenne isnt a 20K dollar Jeep, it cost alot more money. Also no it does not give you 11.8" of clearance. Your Differentials are you lowest point which is what gives you your ground clearance number. The only way to increase diff clearance is bigger tires. You would be surprised what a stock liberty can do.
30K Jeep (), but yes, I realize that. And I didn't say it provides 11.8" of clearance, but rather almost an inch more than stock Liberty. And yes, I've already been surprised at what my Liberty can do but it's still quite limited by its ground clearance and approach and departure angles.
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Here is Digger's KK with JBA's 4" lift.

As far as the ground clearance the Porsche has IFS/IRS which gives more ground clearance then the IFS/SRA the KK has.On the plus side the rear solid axle in the KK is much stronger then the Porsche diffs.
Looks good! How big are those wheels/tires?

I believe it about the rear axle! I got stuck pretty good at an angle right after I bought my KK and the entire weight of the rear was sitting on the axle (rear wheels weren't contacting the ground) and a couple Jeeps winched me out of there with absolutely no mechanical damage.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.