What did you do to your KK today? - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > What did you do to your KK today?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #901
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppro View Post
Gone use it for one of the small kayaks when I do not feel like towing the trailer. I really want to put a basket though.
I am also in the market for a basket, would help on those long fishing trips. I just cant justify paying $400 for thule or yakima cross bars. I have seen some cheaper setups on amazon, but I dont know how strong they are. Do you think your setup would be stable enough for a heavy basket?

HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #902
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I think so. I want to drive around town some and see if the bolts hold with the loctite as there is not much to thread into. If I thru bolt it it will be dead solid.

Go to www.discountramps.com and there are baskets there that are pretty cheap. I am looking at the big rage.
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #903
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I used U-bolts to attach my homebrew crossbars (galvanized pipes with end caps). Here is a thread from LOST that details how I made them for under $100. I kept an eye on Craigslist and on the For Sale section of the forums, and got a nice roof basket for only $50. The setup works great. I carried 4 heavy Rubbermaid tubs full of gear on the roof from NH to PA and it never shifted at all. No need for $400 Thule/Yakima crossbars and a $400 basket.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=59&t=72548
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #904
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I know at REI the Yakima Load Warrior is 268.00 new and the Mega Load Warrior is like 368.00 ; don't remember what Thule Moab costs. I have the Load Warrior with an extension which would sets you back another 150, but gives 40% more room. I didn't pay that, since I sell them both. Check for deals usually Yakima and Thule run 25% deals. Having the roof rails on your Jeep is a big plus it will save about $90. Just remember the roof rails can probably handle up 150lbs. So take the weight of the from that which is about 40-45lbs that's what you can carry up there. IF you decide to use some heating pipe I would stick using the Yakima rail grab, since Yakima uses the round bars.

Good luck
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #905
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

U-bolts and pipe is a GREAT IDEA! Totally stealing that one!
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #906
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
U-bolts and pipe is a GREAT IDEA! Totally stealing that one!
Do what I did and use square section tubing and square u-bolts and it will fit much better on the square factory side rails than round tubing does. Also less chance of denting the side rails by over tightening the clamps when it's a square on square fit vs round on square.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #907
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
Do what I did and use square section tubing and square u-bolts and it will fit much better on the square factory side rails than round tubing does. Also less chance of denting the side rails by over tightening the clamps when it's a square on square fit vs round on square.
That sounds good, Wearyman. If I were making them again, I think I would try that. My hardware store didn't have the square bars and u-bolts, so I went with round ones. No denting and no complaints so far, though.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #908
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Today I gave her a bath. There was so much mud on and under her from the last 2 days I now have mud splatter from driving on my driveway. Next time I'm going to a car wash and muddying up THEIR concrete instead. LoL
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #909
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Today I gave her a bath. There was so much mud on and under her from the last 2 days I now have mud splatter from driving on my driveway. Next time I'm going to a car wash and muddying up THEIR concrete instead. LoL
Lol! After my last mud adventure I went through the car wash 3 times and couldn't get all the mud out from underneath! I ended up going to one of those coin-op wash bays so I could blast away at the caked-on mud. I still didn't get it all. I was under my KK just yesterday during the unseasonable warm day we had to pull off that bottom front air dam and found MORE mud still caked in there from 4 months ago!
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #910
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

bumper and Oem skids

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Installed one of the bumpers I got from AttheHelm and they are worth their weight in gold(to me), now its a ****ing JEEP

threw in OEM skids while i HAd it up.
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #911
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Look awesome, Tubguy. Gonna keep it black, or what?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #912
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

That looks a awesome, 27tubguy. It almost makes me sort of wish I'd hit a deer so I would need a new bumper... But not really, because I wouldn't want to tempt fate. :-) [knocking on wood]
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #913
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Look awesome, Tubguy. Gonna keep it black, or what?
not sure, im looking for some silver undergaurd paint
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #914
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

this is a bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
That looks a awesome, 27tubguy. It almost makes me sort of wish I'd hit a deer so I would need a new bumper... But not really, because I wouldn't want to tempt fate. :-) [knocking on wood]
the stock bumper isnt a bumper at all, just a flimsy piece of plastic, this is a bumper angle iron and steel.
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #915
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27tubguy View Post
[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Installed one of the bumpers I got from AttheHelm and they are worth their weight in gold(to me), now its a ****ing JEEP

threw in OEM skids while i HAd it up.
Looks awesome!

I was wondering about how much more does your front end weigh? Did you think you would need to put stronger springs in the front to reduce sagging later on?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.