Well it was only a matter of time... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Well it was only a matter of time...

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

Well it was only a matter of time...

...before my brand new Jeep would get hit by a deer! I have been driving for 15 years, purchased 3 used vehicles before going brand new on my 2011 Jeep Liberty. I have never hit a deer before or they hit me. Had my Jeep for 2 months and twice now I have come too close to deer, this time, one hit me.

slipperybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
az16339
2009 KK Liberty 

Too bad, sorry for your loss. 15 years.......that's a good, long stretch of good luck. No wonder they're deservedly called "rats with antlers".

Did you have deer repellers mounted on your front end? I lived in rural Michigan and Maryland for twenty years and only had some near misses. I credit those little $2.98/pair "silent" whistles for a lot of my good luck.
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

No...I have never purchased them before and was curious if they actually work. I have heard mix reviews. I was actually planning on getting them because it couldn't hurt. A little too late though. Luckily insurance covers the hit for a cheap deductible.
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

So sorry about the deer hit...... try this

deer01.gif
Each year, 300 people die in 1.5 million car-deer collisions which cost motorists and insurance companies over 1 billion dollars (insurance industry-funded report, Nov 04, 2003). In the December 2001 issue of Car and Travel, a AAA publication, it was reported that the deer population has swollen from 10 million in the 80s to about 35 millions today! The estimated cost of repair after a deer collision: $2400. An investment of under $25.00 can help reduce your chances of being involved in a deer collision !

Introducing the SAV-A-LIFE Deer AlertŪ

The SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ was invented in Austria in 1979 and introduced in the United States in 1981. From the beginning it has been received with great interest by Government and wildlife agencies, as well as by the fleet operators of fortune 500 companies, State Troopers, and the safety conscious driving public.

What is the SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ, how does it work?

The SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ consists of a pair of two inch long, bullet shaped devices which can be easily mounted on the front bumper of a vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle). As the vehicle reaches a speed above 30 mph, air rushing through the cylinder emits an ultrasonic signal (between 16,000 and 20,000 Hertz), up to a quarter mile away (the length of 4 football fields), literally stopping animals in their tracks. The sound emitted by the SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ cannot be detected by passengers in the vehicle and not perceptible to people on the roadside.

Are Deer-Alerts really effective?

Not all deer whistles are made equal! Leonard Lee Rue III, one of America’s most respected naturalists and wildlife photographers writes “A new device that I have personally tested and found to be very effective is the SAV-A-LIFE Deer Alert.” The Deer of North America, Lyons Press, 1997, p436, a standard reference on North American Deer. The SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ has extensively been tested: field tests were performed in Finland, laboratory tests in Vienna, Austria, and in the United States. The Finnish test is available in our archives. The SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ was found to be over 80% effective on deer, bears, elks, and skunks. You should still exercise caution when driving in heavily deer populated areas. Today, hundreds of thousands of SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertsŪ are being used in the US by individual motorists, emergency vehicles, state and local law enforcement agencies, business and corporate fleets, truckers and motorcyclists.

Is the SAV-A-LIFE Deer AlertŪ expensive?

No, costing under $25 in stores, the SAV-A-LIFE Deer-AlertŪ/animal warning device comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. It does not pay not to be safe! Fleet discounts are available; call our Industrial Fleet Safety Division.

Smaller than a cigarette lighter
Animals only will hear its ultrasonic warning
Very easy to install-mounts on vehicle in seconds
salpackaged-2.gif

Activates at 30mph-projects to a distance of four football fields

Lasts life of vehicle if properly maintained
Insurance against injury, costly repairs and down time.
Full money back guarantee if you are not convinced it works.
Effective on cars, trucks, motorcycles-any motorized vehicles.

We thank you and the animals do too!

Sav-A-Life
P.O. Box 1226 - New York, NY 10025-1226
Toll free: (800) 654-3337 - Tel: ((718) 292-1226 - Fax: (212) 593-1801
To Order: Sales@Sav-A-Life.com
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

sorry about the accident. these things do work, all my friends who live in pa, nj or upstate ny use them, so far no deer hits.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
allskiing

Ouch......But been there done that just not with a new SUV....Use a good shop and you will never know it got hit.
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Sorry to hear bout your jeep man!

I hear this is a rather.... effective solution too

severewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Korruptor

Sorry to hear of the accident! Was it bad?

My parents have those air things that are supposed to repel deer installed on their Silverado... they are a scam. they don't do a thing, unless the deer around here and around our cottage are deaf.
The deer act the same way if they drive in their truck, which has the whistle things, or if I drive in my Jeep, which does not have the whistle things.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by severewinds View Post

Effective but extreme
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

Hey I appreciate the support guys...no pics. Already at the shop. 8 days without the Jeep. Thankfully all brand new Jeep parts. Did a decent number on it the driver side rear door apparently. Enough to crack the trim on the inside.

Severewinds...I like your solution. I need that for next time. I figure for under $25, it can't hurt to try out the Deer Alert things, but the cannon is a great option too. haha.
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
alex725
2009 XK Commander 

I think Im going to buy my dad a set of those deer whistlers. He hit 3 deer in his Corolla and now that he has a new Malibu its worth the $25 investment.
alex725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
2010jeepJK

That sucks...Im sorry to hear.
2010jeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.