Wanting to purchase KK...questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wanting to purchase KK...questions

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wanting to purchase KK...questions

I have a couple concerns which I'm currently trying to resolve in regards to my wife and I purchasing our first Jeep. We're wanting a lightly used KK, preferrably '09-'10 based on the info I've gather from this site on the updates/upgrades Jeep made from '08 models.

My question(s) is this:

How exactly does the warranty program work? 3 yr/36k bumper-to-bumper is pretty common, but how about the powertrain wty? Are these fully transferrable?

Also, as this will be my wife's DD, she is adamant it have a sunroof (again, based on individual's experiences, we are going to stay away from the slider). My concern here is that we've been offered by dealers to have a sunroof installed aftermarket and after hearing my hesitations about aftermarket sunroofs, they told me that even the "factory" sunroofs are not installed at the factory, but after they were built they sent out to have them installed. I find this very hard to believe....any further insights???

Thanks for all the info/advice!!!!

FireMedic5110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

According to Jeep.com, the Warranty on a 2010 is a transferable 3/36K Mile Bumper to Bumper and a transferable 5/100K Mile Power-train. As for the sunroof, i wouldn't get an aftermarket one installed personally. I would only get one that came from the factory. But that's just me.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the '10 warranty info...any ideas on the '09? I refuse to buy an aftermarket sunroof, but I was just taken aback when I ws told the factory didnt install their own anyhow, but rather they were installed after the vehicle was manufactured.....just dont buy it.
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

The 09 i think had the 3/36K Bumper to Bumper and Lifetime Power-train for the first owner then the Power-train i think drops to 3/36K for the second owner. Unfortunately the "Owners Section" for Jeep.com is not working so i cant check the owners manual.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

Just a thought (My thought) when you buy a vehicle with a hole in the roof, don't whine if it leaks. I never feel bad for anyone who would do that. My opinion My Experience. Never needed to be hit in the head twice with a 2X4 to know it hurts.

Dave
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

I have NEVER, NEVER had a problem with any FACTORY installed sunroof on any Chrysler product and I have had dozens of them. every car I drive has had a sunroof, my current 09 Liberty has a Slider,I have had no problem at all, even going thru a car wash
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Elt: Thanks for the insight. Does the fact that one is Certified pre-owner make a difference?

Thanks for your opinion, Dave, but it's just that; I'm not debating whether it might leak or not. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone knows if Jeep installs their own sunroofs, or if the dealers are right, and in fact they send them "outside" to be installed.

Jeepster-I'm not concerned with a factory sunroof leaking. I have heard however the Sliders are notorious for doing so. Was that just a problem on the '08's?
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i know my 08 limited has an aftermarket sunroof, dealer told me so himself, since im not the original owner i dont know who and when installed it
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input VMF....I guess I never considered it might be commonplace for a manufacturer such as Jeep to sub out the aftermarket sunroof.
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

but in my case i think it was completely non jeep approved installer since my local dlrshp refused warranty repairs telling me to contact the original dealership to find out who installed it. keep in mind that mine is limited and should have came with the sunroof as part of the package, but then again, mine is very early production KK (dec 07)
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
RB145
2014 WK 

OEM sunroof are installed at the factory, in fact the roofs are delivered to the factory with the hole already in them for the vehicles that are getting a sunroof or slider. If it is on the invoice or window sticker it was installed on the line in the factory. A lot of times sales people don't know what they are talking about and will tell you whatever you want to hear to help them sell a vehicle.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

RB145- Thanks for the reassurance. I was certain there was no truth behind the salesman's pitch and to be honest, as silly as it may be to the Jeep die hards, having a sunroof is about as important at this time as 4x4 (empaphsis on about*). Thanks again!
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

I bought a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee back in 01 that was a Chrysler Corporation lease return. It has an aftermarket sunroof on it that works very well and has never had a leak. Thought it was interesting that a Chrysler corporation owned vehicle would have an aftermarket roof in it.
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help and insight! We have decided to take a different route and are now pursuing a JK Unlimited.
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

interesting switch, i have both JK and KK, if you are buying ur car mostly for onroad driving, i would not recommend a JK, its not as stable, handling, creature comfort and overall quality of driving on pavement is inferior to KK, im not even going to talk about that underpowered v6 that they have in it... well and if you are buying one for offroad use then u should get a JK rubicon, which will cost u most prolly more then fully loaded KK limited.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.