Wanting to add passenger power outlet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Wanting to add passenger power outlet

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

Wanting to add passenger power outlet

I have a 2010 sport and would like to add the rear power outlet that I've seen in many 08's. Is this possible if so what do I need? I know i would replace the cover that has an outlet in it which I found online but i didn't see a plug back there when I removed the cover. Is it possible to do this?

2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
VegasDragger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Take a trip over to your local auto parts store or automotive section in Walmart and look at the different options for 12 volt accessory outlets and think out of the box. All you need is a hot wire and a grounding point. I mounted an aux 12 outlet on the lower side of the drivers seat on the metal frame. I used an outlet what is enclosed in a plastic housing with a spring loaded door covering the access hole. I use it for the aux brake system when I pull the KK behind the motorhome..

Or are you talking about using an invertor and adding a 120 outlet in the rear?
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
matteagle
2012 KK Liberty 

I was pretty disappointed that the KK didnt have a 110v outlet. thats standard in the Patriots so I never thought I'd be giving that up when I got the KK

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
2009 Jeep Patriot (traded)
matteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteagle
I was pretty disappointed that the KK didnt have a 110v outlet. thats standard in the Patriots so I never thought I'd be giving that up when I got the KK
My 08 has one.
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
matteagle
2012 KK Liberty 

Yeah I guess they stopped in '10. I don't see why they would though

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

I wired my old TJ Wrangler up with an inverter under the hood. I suppose from there I could have run an outlet. What I usually did instead was I kept a small inverter in the glove box for times when I needed it. You could permanently mount one somewhere in the passenger area but it wouldn't be nearly as slick as the outlet in my 08.

Here's what I'd use instead... http://www.amazon.com/PowerLine-Powe...power+inverter Some times the simplest approach is the best.
theotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

I don't have any plans for a specific reason I just want it in case I need it I want a 110v outlet. Only reason I wanted the stock outlet was the look. I think I might just add my own if I can find a sleek outlet with a cover on it as I have my kid riding in the back.
2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
VegasDragger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

My under-hood inverter was a biggun. That was really nice. It would run the boiler in our house in the event of a power outage. So my Jeep was also my generator. It was also nice when out in the sticks. I doubt I'll ever be that hard on my Liberty, though, so I'm going to stick with the one outlet. We run a mid sized inverter in our Honda van and it's great for the kids on road trips. I stash it in the back and we run an extension cord so it isn't under foot.

No doubt some custom car parts shop will have an outlet that would be a good match. If you could find one with a USB port, too, it would be perfection.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
matteagle
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherone View Post
My under-hood inverter was a biggun. That was really nice. It would run the boiler in our house in the event of a power outage. So my Jeep was also my generator.
How did you weather proof it?

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
bsad67
2012 KK Liberty 

There has to be some in the junk yards around you to pull the plug unit out off. Then just run your wiring. With all the radio extras your good with that stuff.
http://www.forjeepsonly.com/jeep-forum/showthread.php?108-Member-from-FABO
bsad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteagle View Post
How did you weather proof it?
I didn't. It sat up high enough and back towards the firewall that it was always dry. Since it was almost never in use I did cover it with a plastic bag to help keep the dust out. There was tons of space available under the hood.
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
TheMill

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherone
I wired my old TJ Wrangler up with an inverter under the hood. I suppose from there I could have run an outlet. What I usually did instead was I kept a small inverter in the glove box for times when I needed it. You could permanently mount one somewhere in the passenger area but it wouldn't be nearly as slick as the outlet in my 08.

Here's what I'd use instead... http://www.amazon.com/PowerLine-Powe...power+inverter Some times the simplest approach is the best.
I also am disappointed with Jeep for not having more outlets. I also found a lot of choices at Amazon for portable inverters with two plugs and usb ports. I agree with theotherone about the simple approach.
TheMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsad67 View Post
There has to be some in the junk yards around you to pull the plug unit out off. Then just run your wiring. With all the radio extras your good with that stuff.

Order the factory plug
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5082095AB.html
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
My2Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsooner6 View Post
Order the factory plug
I still need to do that... plus the cover as well.
115v-auxiliary-power-outlet-liberty.png

i2239549_2.jpg

My2Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
rvjon

This is the first 4X4 that I've owned since my '70 Landcrusher wagon that has had only one 12V outlet. Even my '04 POS Trailblazer had two in the front,one in the middle and one in the back. I really don't need any 110V power as everything we use in the car uses 12V.
rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.