Vibration: Somewhat of a rant - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Vibration: Somewhat of a rant

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Vibration: Somewhat of a rant

I need some input from others that have had the issue or folks that have dealt with the issue.

Mine is a 2010 Limited with Selec-Trac and about 46k miles now. Still under the power train warranty.

This is the best description of what mine has done since I got it back in the fall. There is a persistent vibration that changes in frequency/severity depending on vehicle speed. It is the worse between about 60mph and 70mph. It feels like a tire balance issue. That is why I bought it. I was assured by the selling dealer that they would fix it. So here is what I have personally changed.

Replaced the front brakes with new pads and rotors. Had the rotors machined new to eliminate any potential run out. I clean the hubs and grease all pins at every brake job. No Change.

Tires balanced and wheels checked for any out of round issues. Multiple rotations were also done to see if changing wheel positions would clear it. No Change.

Tires road force balanced. No Change

Tires replaced. No Change

Rear drive shaft replaced. No Change

Again, it feels like vibration you would get with an out of balance wheel. Some other test I've done. It does it while coasting down as well. It is the same if I coast down in drive or shift the transmission into neutral. It is slightly more pronounced accelerating in 4wd. It can be felt the most on smooth roads. On the crappy expansion joint filled highways suspension movements seem to sort of mask it (that I figure is normal).

This is driving me nuts! I have been to the selling dealer (a Ford franchise) multiple times and now my local Jeep dealer at least 4 times for it. I have taken multiple techs out with me and the service manager. I can get it to do it on demand. All of the test drives they agree that they feel it as well. Yet they do stuff and give it back saying "All Fixed!" only to have it still the same. It goes in yet again this coming Monday evening for them to "look at it" again.

This time I am taking a print out of this thread with me!

What really pisses me off is I actually love this Jeep but hate what my daily commute has become. Big difference from my 300C, but love it still.

josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
brucecadieux
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wales, MA
Posts: 17
Wheel/hub bearings would be my guess. Or at least worth checking.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,333
Have they checked the front driveshaft yet? remove it, take it for a drive and see what happens. Could be the rear head (CV) on the front driveshaft needs replaced Easy to do and cheap
And what was mentioned above wheel bearings
then move to the right side CV and intermediate shaft

Also never turn down the rotors, just throw new ones on, any more they don't give you enough metal to really turn them if there is an issue, cheaper to replace
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Have they checked the front driveshaft yet? remove it, take it for a drive and see what happens. Could be the rear head (CV) on the front driveshaft needs replaced Easy to do and cheap
And what was mentioned above wheel bearings
then move to the right side CV and intermediate shaft

Also never turn down the rotors, just throw new ones on, any more they don't give you enough metal to really turn them if there is an issue, cheaper to replace
Hmmm... I like the "remove the front shaft (s)" idea. I will bring that up with them on Monday. Because it is so prevalent in the steering wheel along with being felt through the dash and floor I have said all along that I think it is the front axle CV and intermediate shaft. You are right that it could also be the front drive shaft as well.

The front hubs were a concern as well. I checked them when servicing the brakes. The dealer has claimed that they gave them a good inspection as well and they are fine. Also, the issue doesn't make any strange noises like grinding or creaking.

Oh, on the rotors, I've found a shop that will just run a light finish cut for me. The rotors are new, I just know not to believe the "factory balanced/machined" BS. All our rotors come from China it seems and over the past ten years or so I have had many runout issues. So, I always have them trued when new before installing. Sometimes totally unessesary I'm sure, but nothing worse than having to redo a brake job the next weekend because of vibrations.

Hmmm.. think I am a little anal about vibrations.....

BTW, thanks a lot for the feedback so far. I hope it ends with it fixed and basically an extensive list of what to check when someone else has the issue.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Josh-Vertical4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth
I need some input from others that have had the issue or folks that have dealt with the issue. Mine is a 2010 Limited with Selec-Trac and about 46k miles now. Still under the power train warranty. This is the best description of what mine has done since I got it back in the fall. There is a persistent vibration that changes in frequency/severity depending on vehicle speed. It is the worse between about 60mph and 70mph. It feels like a tire balance issue. That is why I bought it. I was assured by the selling dealer that they would fix it. So here is what I have personally changed. Replaced the front brakes with new pads and rotors. Had the rotors machined new to eliminate any potential run out. I clean the hubs and grease all pins at every brake job. No Change. Tires balanced and wheels checked for any out of round issues. Multiple rotations were also done to see if changing wheel positions would clear it. No Change. Tires road force balanced. No Change Tires replaced. No Change Rear drive shaft replaced. No Change Again, it feels like vibration you would get with an out of balance wheel. Some other test I've done. It does it while coasting down as well. It is the same if I coast down in drive or shift the transmission into neutral. It is slightly more pronounced accelerating in 4wd. It can be felt the most on smooth roads. On the crappy expansion joint filled highways suspension movements seem to sort of mask it (that I figure is normal). This is driving me nuts! I have been to the selling dealer (a Ford franchise) multiple times and now my local Jeep dealer at least 4 times for it. I have taken multiple techs out with me and the service manager. I can get it to do it on demand. All of the test drives they agree that they feel it as well. Yet they do stuff and give it back saying "All Fixed!" only to have it still the same. It goes in yet again this coming Monday evening for them to "look at it" again. This time I am taking a print out of this thread with me! What really pisses me off is I actually love this Jeep but hate what my daily commute has become. Big difference from my 300C, but love it still.

Where are you feeling the vibration? In the steering wheel, in the pedals, or just as a whole in the jeep? Could be a number of things from driveshaft issues to loose bushings.
Josh-Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
The vibration is general in nature. Can be felt the most in the steering wheel. This is why I keep focusing on something in the forward drive train vs. the rear. Suspension bushings may be a cause but my experience with those kind of issues there normally is some sort of clunk or groan from the suspension along with the vibration.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Josh-Vertical4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
The vibration is general in nature. Can be felt the most in the steering wheel. This is why I keep focusing on something in the forward drive train vs. the rear. Suspension bushings may be a cause but my experience with those kind of issues there normally is some sort of clunk or groan from the suspension along with the vibration.
I agree with that. If it were a bushing say in the track bar, you would have a clunk when turning the wheel. You said you replaced the rear driveshaft, is there a reason why they had you replace the rear? I would check into the front driveshaft as stated below.
Josh-Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
mrbeal
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 78
I've read through this thread and all I can think to add is are you certain it hasn't been crashed?
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-Vertical4 View Post
You said you replaced the rear driveshaft, is there a reason why they had you replace the rear? I would check into the front driveshaft as stated below.

OK, now RANT time....

Rear drive shaft story...

Had been dealing with my Jeep dealer with the vibration. Did the new tires. It didn't fix it. Multiple road tests so they know what it feels like.

They told me they were stumped and had to research it.

Called over two weeks, still no idea and was told "we don't want to just start throwing parts at it"

Climate control failed so in it went for the repair.

When I went to pick it up, they said "we found out the rear drive shaft was binding up so we had to order you one."

OK, two weeks later, they put in the drive shaft. Tell me it's all fixed.

Drive home, exactly the same....

Called the service manager to let him know it was still doing it and asked him to please listen to me and look at the front CV shafts and intermediate shaft. Was told "well we can't just start throwing parts at it, we need to check it first".

Me: "Are you freaking kidding me?? You just threw a $700.00 drive shaft at it." Silence...................

Now it goes in Monday night for them to "look into it again"....

That is why it has a whole new drive shaft.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeal View Post
I've read through this thread and all I can think to add is are you certain it hasn't been crashed?
Absolutely.

Unless they rebuilt the whole thing from scratch.

No panel has ever been painted or touched up.

I was under it and inspected the whole unibody frame for any signs of repair or replacement.

All the suspension parts are original and nothing has been apart. Always check that too.

I am no master mechanic, but I can confidently say that I can find paint work or repair evidence better than most.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Gageraid
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Branchburg, New Jersey
Posts: 1,375
Def a good idea to check the front drive shaft. Very easy for them to do.
Could be front wheel bearings, they went on me at 42K or so. Symptoms sound identical and I too had a shop that couldn't figure it out.
Not sure if this would make a difference, but maybe adding or removing some air from the tires would make it better/worse?
__________________
OME lift
Hypertech Max Energy
CAI, Gibson exhaust, 4.7L throttle body
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
lfhoward
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 525
I had a right CV/intermediate shaft go bad with similar symptoms. Replacing them solved the issue. You can see if this is similar to what you are experiencing by reading my thread over on LOST: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...=76981&start=0
__________________
2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
lfhoward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Now I'm really getting fed up. This dealer tells me they will need it again for a couple of days because they can't determine what the issue is. Remember, it is not an issue of them feeling the issue, they feel it and acknowledge it is a problem. They had it for a day. I told them to start disconnecting the drive shafts and see where that gets them. All they freakin did was drive it. These are the same folks that put the rear drive shaft in. To be honest I could care less if they took the thing for a week, just give me something to drive to work. They are refusing to provide alternate transportation. I get it, it's just a Jeep not a Mercedes, but after four or five visits it's time to fess up. Give me something to drive while you sort it out. I told them that I was going to have to get Jeep involved. The service manager said, "yea, you should".

I'm done with these clowns. Time to get another local dealer involved. I am so tempted to rip the F'n thing apart myself and do the work but the whole principal behind me giving up my 300C was to have one car under warranty. Now I'm looking at doing more work to my low mileage, warrantied Jeep than the 90k mile car the wife has.

I know, counter productive rant, but it is just so frustrating.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Update:

Went to another dealer. Retold my story and wanted to take them out so they too could feel the issue. I was written up but then sent to the waiting room.

Needless to say after an hour I was starting to get pretty fumed....

But, things turned around actually. To make it short.. The service manager came out and talked to me. Ends up the tech took my Jeep out for a drive solo and came back to let them know that there was definitely a problem. He saw that there had been a new drive shaft installed so he decided to try re-indexing the shaft and took it for another drive. Still the same. They then told me that the next steps he wants to do is to systematically take out the front shaft and front CV shafts until he can isolate the issue. YAY! And I didn't have to try to tell them what to do, they knew! Better yet, they apologized that they would have to get back to me to schedule a time to bring it in when they would have alternative transportation (loaner car) available so they could mess with it over a few days.

So, lets hope these guys sort it out...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.