Vibration issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Vibration issues

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
david5777

Vibration issues

Hi all KK Owners,

About two weeks ago I put my KK 2011 to good use and passed with flying colors.

However, while driving around I hit a small tree stump bending the sub frame (driver side) which is now replaced with a brand new one.

Since this and while driving at the same speed on smooth road highway I can feel the front passengers side wheel vibrate which is flowing into the steering wheel. The vibration gets loud for about 3-4 seconds, goes away for 3-4 sec, then loud for 3-4 sec and so on it's like the wheel is out of balance, but

I have a friend who is a qualified mechanic with his own work shop and not even he can work it out.

These are the things we have tried,
We have put brand new Cooper A/T3 All-Terrain tires, which are balanced and aligned after the sub frame was repair.
We have rotated the tires.
We have removed the rear drive shaft, test driven and still there.
Done an inspection on the CV joint, ball joints all good.
We have checked the bearings, by hoisting it up spinning the wheels and giving them a shake and there is no noise there, which has been confirmed by a second mechanic.
We have checked the drive shaft for any missing weights, they are all still there.

Next week we are going to hook up some microphones to the under body and see if we can pin point the problem.

If you can suggest anything that might cause this type noise it would help.

david5777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

So the vibrating is regardless of tire position after rotating the tires?

Have you checked the inboard side of the rims to see if mud/tree stump/debris isn't stuck in them?

Sway bar and/or sway links intact?

Have you gotten an alignment since?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
david5777

The alignment was done after the sub frame repair, we have not looked at the sway bar or link. That's another thing on the list.

We did not think about any mud or sticks in the guards, that's one thing I will be doing.

Thanks for your help, we are trying to eliminate so many different things at the moment and any extra things on the list will help.
david5777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
excelent1976

I have similar problems with my 2010 but never hit anything. Dealer replaced both drive shafts under warranty. I aligned and balanced new tires. Still there.
excelent1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.