Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
JSAN

Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help?

So, I haven't checked air in my tires for 5-6 months. And about a week ago I got the sign to check tire pressure. This was a cold morning and after driving for a while the light went away, so I knew it wasn't seriously low.

Anyways so I decided to check tire pressure and the first tire I went to unscrew the little valve cap. It was too tight, so I grabbed my multi-knife with small pliers I twisted the cap.

At that point I started to unscrew it, thinking that the cap had gotten loose, but the valve stem broke off and as I was loosing it, air was leaking out. So I grabbed JB weld from my Jeep and welded the entire thing back on to prevent more air from escaping.

That was a week ago and I didn't get the tire pressure light again because the weather has been warm. I tried to see if other wheels have a seized up stem cap. And turns out they do. I tried to unscrew the rear wheel and same thing. I had to JB weld this back together as well.

So I went to a Tire shop and They quoted me $160 (ONE TIRE) for replacing the TPMS sensor ($99) and $25 for re-programming and $25 labor and $5 shop supplies.

So I think they're gonna charge me $400 for the TPMS sensors for all four tires, and $100 labor and $100 for reprogramming.

So this is seriously expensive to replace broken valve stems. For less than $600, I can buy an after market TPMS system.

I looked online and the sensors go for $50 each this is $200 cheaper than the tire shop, still I'll need re-programming and time/place to do all the work.

So my question is, has anyone here done this before at home? Do I need to reprogram it, if I buy OEM Jeep sensor? if not, then is reprogramming easy and what tools are needed?

Should I just go with non-TPMS valve stem? will there be any problems other then the TPMS light being constantly on?

JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
JSAN

Update: Replaced all 4 TPMS sensors.

Total cost with labor & Taxes: $289

Went to different tire shop and they said after market sensors are better than OEM because OEM is a solid stem and aftermarket is rubber stem and is better because it doesn't corrode as much or at all.

The other shops quoted me ~$600, so I'm really happy with the cost. I even tipped them $50 because they did it quickly and charged way less than other places.

It was a stupid expense, oh well lesson learned. Never put metal caps on stems, always use rubber/plastic
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
GeeEssFore

Next time PM me. I sell OEM and Aftermarket at cost to members. My AM ones are $85 for 4 shipped to your door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.