Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
JSAN

Valve stem broke off! Need new stems for all tire. Help?

So, I haven't checked air in my tires for 5-6 months. And about a week ago I got the sign to check tire pressure. This was a cold morning and after driving for a while the light went away, so I knew it wasn't seriously low.

Anyways so I decided to check tire pressure and the first tire I went to unscrew the little valve cap. It was too tight, so I grabbed my multi-knife with small pliers I twisted the cap.

At that point I started to unscrew it, thinking that the cap had gotten loose, but the valve stem broke off and as I was loosing it, air was leaking out. So I grabbed JB weld from my Jeep and welded the entire thing back on to prevent more air from escaping.

That was a week ago and I didn't get the tire pressure light again because the weather has been warm. I tried to see if other wheels have a seized up stem cap. And turns out they do. I tried to unscrew the rear wheel and same thing. I had to JB weld this back together as well.

So I went to a Tire shop and They quoted me $160 (ONE TIRE) for replacing the TPMS sensor ($99) and $25 for re-programming and $25 labor and $5 shop supplies.

So I think they're gonna charge me $400 for the TPMS sensors for all four tires, and $100 labor and $100 for reprogramming.

So this is seriously expensive to replace broken valve stems. For less than $600, I can buy an after market TPMS system.

I looked online and the sensors go for $50 each this is $200 cheaper than the tire shop, still I'll need re-programming and time/place to do all the work.

So my question is, has anyone here done this before at home? Do I need to reprogram it, if I buy OEM Jeep sensor? if not, then is reprogramming easy and what tools are needed?

Should I just go with non-TPMS valve stem? will there be any problems other then the TPMS light being constantly on?

JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
JSAN

Update: Replaced all 4 TPMS sensors.

Total cost with labor & Taxes: $289

Went to different tire shop and they said after market sensors are better than OEM because OEM is a solid stem and aftermarket is rubber stem and is better because it doesn't corrode as much or at all.

The other shops quoted me ~$600, so I'm really happy with the cost. I even tipped them $50 because they did it quickly and charged way less than other places.

It was a stupid expense, oh well lesson learned. Never put metal caps on stems, always use rubber/plastic
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
GeeEssFore

Next time PM me. I sell OEM and Aftermarket at cost to members. My AM ones are $85 for 4 shipped to your door.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.