Upgrade questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Upgrade questions

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
TGA
2008 KK Liberty 

Upgrade questions

I have a 2008 jeep liberty gas and am going to get a K&N performance intake. So I found out it only has the MAP sensor not MAF. But there only seem to be upgrades for the MAF. Is there such a thing as a performance MAP? Ok, so is it possible to add a performance MAF? And if so, will it offer any performance gains or is it not necessary to change\ add to the sensor set up to account for the increased airflow? Much trouble finding a concise answer

TGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

No such thing as a performance MAP.The MAP sensor does one thing and only one thing,telling the PCM the pressure inside the manifold.You also can not switch to a MAF system when your setup is for a MAP sensor.

Oh and skip the K&N,no added benifit besides letting alot more dirty air into your engine and more noise when you step on the gas pedal.The stock box is a true CAI(the K&N is a hot air intake) and with a paper filter will flow more air then the 3.7 can handle anyways.Adding a K&N will not add flow into the engine with a internally stock engine.
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

I built an intake system using a k&n cone filter when I first got my KK. I took it out after 3 months. Why? It didn't do a damn thing.

I loved the K&N FIPK (CA CARB legal one) I put in my 02 Tacoma though, throttle response increased tremendously, it felt more peppy and better mpgs.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, skip the intake upgrades on the liberty.
I have run the AEM dryflow system on a few of my vehicles in the past.

The intake on my KK looks to be more than enough for the 3.7L.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
TGA
2008 KK Liberty 

How is the stock box a true CAI?? An not much gains with it eh? Mabey the money will go towards other upgrades. And My jeeps not all stock. Got performance spark plugs, hypertech tuner, fuel catalyst, next will be borla from cat back, new cat an headers. Still no?
TGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA View Post
How is the stock box a true CAI?? An not much gains with it eh? Mabey the money will go towards other upgrades. And My jeeps not all stock. Got performance spark plugs, hypertech tuner, fuel catalyst, next will be borla from cat back, new cat an headers. Still no?
K&N,and other, draw hot air from the engine bay thus they are a "hot air intake system".The OEM box draws air from a mini-snorkel that sits between the grill and hood,thus sucking in colder air.

No such thing as "performance" spark plugs,if you have anything but copper core plugs in your actually hurting performance and mpg's as your ignition system is designed to run copper core plugs.

Fuel catalyst,snake oil.Should try this instead..............
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8503251/ele...ger-5psi?gps=1

Then you can have so much power(said in sarcastic tone)

Good luck with headers as the only company that made them for the 3.7 stopped making them almost a year ago.Those along with a cat back system may give some top end power but you loose alot of low end power.

The one and true way to see performace gains in a Liberty is by regearing and only regearing unless your willing to drop some big $$$ into custom modifying the engine internals and have the PCM programmed to take advantage of those mods.Expect to drop at least $5000+ in the engine alone.Sorry but HP is not cheap,really not cheap to do right.

The thing is the automakers are not in bed with the oil companies and they must reach a average mpg goal set by the US government so if you really think some of those "mods" actually do anything don't you think they would be stock right from the factory? I mean there having a hard time meeting those average mpg standards right now so any little bit would make it easier for them,just wait till they must meet the new standard in 20 years of 60 some mpg's.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.