JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Uneen tire wear (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/uneen-tire-wear-1725610/)

rescue575 10-26-2013 04:49 PM

Uneen tire wear

Any ideas on why the outer edge of the tire would be wearing more than he inner? Only about 6k on tires. Balance and alignment done at install. Rotated then about 1,500k ago.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

AtTheHelm 10-26-2013 06:20 PM

Probably needs another alignment. Your lift will settle in a bit after driving on it.

rescue575 10-26-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
Probably needs another alignment. Your lift will settle in a bit after driving on it.

No lift. Just tires.

LKWJEEPER 10-26-2013 07:03 PM

It could be the alignment. Next time your on a straight flat road, let go of the wheel and see if the Jeep pulls in either direction. Depending on your driving style it could cause improper tire wear. I know we don't drive sports cars, but if you drive "aggressive" it could wear on the outer sides of the tire.

rescue575 10-26-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER
It could be the alignment. Next time your on a straight flat road, let go of the wheel and see if the Jeep pulls in either direction. Depending on your driving style it could cause improper tire wear. I know we don't drive sports cars, but if you drive "aggressive" it could wear on the outer sides of the tire.

Nah she still drives straight. And in like a grandpa when I drive it. Usually have the "precious cargo" in the back seat.

LKWJEEPER 10-26-2013 07:11 PM

Is it all the tires or just one? What Brand tire do you have?

rescue575 10-26-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER
Is it all the tires or just one? What Brand tire do you have?

All of them. Noticed it before the rotation. They are the dunlop fierce attitude M/T

Poncherello 10-26-2013 07:52 PM

Check your inflation as well. I had an alignment done at about 20K or so, the stealership told me it was out of whack. Now got about 63K on the SRA's wearing pretty even though I do notice the very corner of tire seems to be wearing down a bit more and notice this on other Libertys when I walk past them in a parking lot.
Good Luck

RENE65 10-26-2013 08:18 PM

If the alignment machine used to align your jeep was out of calibration , you can dis align your jeep more than anything else. I have worked 40yrs in a dealership and have seen this happen often.Your toe-in and or camber be out of specs evenly on both sides ,cause uneven tire wear but still drive straight.A second alignment is still cheaper than new tires.

tommudd 10-26-2013 08:20 PM

You can get an alignment on Monday and hit a pothole/curb/ whatever just the right way 3 days later and knock it out.

rescue575 10-26-2013 10:36 PM

Might be a silly question, but if its an allighmment issue, wouldnt I only notice this on the front wheels? Would it cause the same effect on the rears?

tommudd 10-26-2013 10:58 PM

Yes alignment would cause the front tires to wear only the way the Libertys are built. It could be just the toe in that needs adjustment. Problem is now that your tires are already wearing off the edges nothing can be done to stop them from wearing that way. New tires and a good alignment is needed

rescue575 10-27-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd
Yes alignment would cause the front tires to wear only the way the Libertys are built. It could be just the toe in that needs adjustment. Problem is now that your tires are already wearing off the edges nothing can be done to stop them from wearing that way. New tires and a good alignment is needed

Oh well. Guess its just gonna have to be that way. Not gonna start replacing a $1k set of rubber with only 6k miles on them. Thanks for the input guys!

tommudd 10-27-2013 01:58 PM

Just get an alignment right away and it will help

The time now is 06:22 AM.