The ULTIMATE Liberty Build? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > The ULTIMATE Liberty Build?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Nosights
2000 WJ 

The ULTIMATE Liberty Build?

Long...but please read and comments are appreciated...positive and negative.

Well...I don't know about the "ultimate" but I believe it may just be the most radical.

I am looking for some feedback on what ya'll think...still trying to formulate and calculate on what to do...here is the rough idea.

Take a KK and add as many MOPAR parts to it to build as close to a radical OEM type Liberty as possible-

Axles from a Power Wagon (lockers and 4.56 gears)
HEMI and 545RFE from a Durango/Aspen (oil pan gives great clearance for diff and the accesories are tucked in nice and tight).
Tcase from Rubicon (Rocktrack with 4.1:1)
Control arms from a JK (long and decently flexy)
Factory coils (perhaps some OME), maybe even some heavily modded struts.
Sway bar discos from a Rubion or Power Wagon.

And the not so factory...
Full cage
Heavily cut firewal to fit the add'l 2 cylinders/ longer Hemi Length.
Custom front frame structure (maintain factory main rails only), hang fenders and custom bumper off of the tube frame.
Move rear axle back a few inches for clearance with tires and rear door.
Use only outer fenders and heavily clearance for TJ style aftermarket flat tube fenders.

Add winch, on board air, custom heater box due to modded firewall. Re-use factory dash but not the inner structure (again due to clearanced firewall).
37" tires max (sick of 40"+ builds and the lack of a good challenge with the big tires). Thinking a beadlock wheel and KM2's.

NO RADICAL SUSPENSIONS, NO CRAZY INTERIORS. Just some full width solid axles with full lockers and a low center of gravity.

Basically, as if Jeep had set out to use off the shelf parts to build the ultimate off road Liberty.

Feel free to tell me how stupid this is...it just fuels my desire to do it. I have already taken the basic measurements...and it is entirely doable!

Nosights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not stupid at all, I'd like to see it.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

this sounds so so sweet. the only thing is, why all that work and use factory control arms? I don't think it would be worth the trouble to keep the factory CA's and 5 link setup. just my two cents. But I really look forward to watching this build progress!
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Jeepsman
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds great!

Just make sure you document your project with a plethora amount of pictures!
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I hope this isnt a hoax like that WJ on 1 tons build, because this sounds AWSOME! I hope to see it happen.
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark02 View Post
this sounds so so sweet. the only thing is, why all that work and use factory control arms? I don't think it would be worth the trouble to keep the factory CA's and 5 link setup. just my two cents. But I really look forward to watching this build progress!
I'd suggest looking at some of the suspension setups on the concept vehicles like the Lower Forty and "cheat" by saying Mopar has used them, therefore it is still "Moparized." Unless I'm wrong and they all use factory designed concept parts and not production suspensions.
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Sounds Pricey, but Amazing
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elt31987 View Post
Sounds Pricey, but Amazing

I will utilize "used" parts where possible and I can get most all KK parts for free to cheap. The engine cost will be minimal (buying wrecked Aspen and Durango for other parts).

I rebuild salvaged Libertys and Aspens (specialize in them, but do others as well). I have about 20 Libs out back for parts and will utilize a body with a hard front hit.

Won't be super cheap...but I can get it done without breaking the bank...I hope. This is a long term project as I have a LOT of parts to gather.
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian007 View Post
I hope this isnt a hoax like that WJ on 1 tons build, because this sounds AWSOME! I hope to see it happen.
Who's build was a hoax...not mine...I have done a WJ on tons (like 5 years ago though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsman View Post
Sounds great!

Just make sure you document your project with a plethora amount of pictures!
I will have to make a real effort to do that...I have very few pics of my build. I guess grabbing the camera is not real high on my list...I'll work on changing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark02 View Post
I have given up on the hype of huge articulation and massive suspension travel. I am planning on super low and stable with OEM parts for reliability, low NVH #'s and simplicity of duplication (although I most likely will never build one again...unless you are buying!)
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Skip the "mid-length" OEM JK arms,you will want true long arms.There are far better axles then the AAM axles from a Power Wagon,you will also want lower gears then 4.56's to run 35"+ tires even with the "so-called" HEMI.Also forget keeping it low,the KK uses the same basic suspension(IFS front that is) as the KJ and you will need a min of 8"-10" of lift to get a SFA under the front will all required links to make it work.

Have fun trying to get a 5.7 in the engine bay,your going to spend alot of $$$ to strengthin a cut up uniframe to handle the extra power.Hope your state does not have any emission testing or inspections if you plan on driving it on the street,then engine must come out of the same year vehicle or newer to be legal.Not saying it can not be done but there are better ways that are more realistic and feasible.
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Skip the "mid-length" OEM JK arms,you will want true long arms.There are far better axles then the AAM axles from a Power Wagon,you will also want lower gears then 4.56's to run 35"+ tires even with the "so-called" HEMI.Also forget keeping it low,the KK uses the same basic suspension(IFS front that is) as the KJ and you will need a min of 8"-10" of lift to get a SFA under the front will all required links to make it work.

Have fun trying to get a 5.7 in the engine bay,your going to spend alot of $$$ to strengthin a cut up uniframe to handle the extra power.Hope your state does not have any emission testing or inspections if you plan on driving it on the street,then engine must come out of the same year vehicle or newer to be legal.Not saying it can not be done but there are better ways that are more realistic and feasible.
Good observations, but he hasn't stated a budget yet, and most problems can be fixed if you throw enough money at them.
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like you will have your work cut out.
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Good observations, but he hasn't stated a budget yet, and most problems can be fixed if you throw enough money at them.
Yep anything can be done with a unlimited budget,but from one of his posts he plans on using all used parts and "hoping to not break the bank" so that is a pretty low budget in mind.
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Quote:

I do not want long arms...not to say that they are a bad thing...just not needed for this build. I would rather save some clearance underneath with the mid length arms which will give me plenty of articulation for the intended purpose.

For now I plan to stick with that ratio as it will give me plenty good crawl #'s with the rocktrack case. And the "HEMI" as you call it...is a whale of an engine and plenty good for my uses here.

By no means do I need a 8-10" lift with the configurations I have measured up. Keep in mind that this is FAR from a bolt in process as the KJ SAS's previously done have nearly been (at least compared to this).

Smog is not of any concern and even with it...no issues as I will go with a new enough motor to satisfy that. (think JK Hemi conversion here...done all the time and easily passes in most states...at least those that I have done did).

BTW- Strength is not at all my concern here, it will be utilizing a full EREW cage. This is REALLY light compared to many of my past builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Budget is a relative term people...Under 5k...well no way but still not at all what you may think. Remember, I buy salvage and the parts I use are not the real value in the salvage purchase (I use the body panels more than the mechanical.)

Quote:
Yep anything can be done with a unlimited budget,but from one of his posts he plans on using all used parts and "hoping to not break the bank" so that is a pretty low budget in mind.
Who said anything about an unlimited budget?
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosights View Post
I do not want long arms...not to say that they are a bad thing...just not needed for this build. I would rather save some clearance underneath with the mid length arms which will give me plenty of articulation for the intended purpose.

For now I plan to stick with that ratio as it will give me plenty good crawl #'s with the rocktrack case. And the "HEMI" as you call it...is a whale of an engine and plenty good for my uses here.

By no means do I need a 8-10" lift with the configurations I have measured up. Keep in mind that this is FAR from a bolt in process as the KJ SAS's previously done have nearly been (at least compared to this).

Smog is not of any concern and even with it...no issues as I will go with a new enough motor to satisfy that. (think JK Hemi conversion here...done all the time and easily passes in most states...at least those that I have done did).

BTW- Strength is not at all my concern here, it will be utilizing a full EREW cage. This is REALLY light compared to many of my past builds.

Budget is a relative term people...Under 5k...well no way but still not at all what you may think. Remember, I buy salvage and the parts I use are not the real value in the salvage purchase (I use the body panels more than the mechanical.)

Who said anything about an unlimited budget?
You might want to relook at where those JK arms would end up on a KK,not a good spot.Plus using OEM JK arms means you need 4 different mounts on the vehicle side(not including the track bar),your going to need alot of lift to get everything under there.Myself and RL spent about 60 hours under my KJ trying to get the lift at 6" but that was never going to happen,heck 8" would be pushing with almost zero up-travel.The front end is a carbon copy of the KJ's,keeping it low sounds good but unless you just cut everything away it's just not feaseble.A uniframe vehicle like the KK is not a good starting point for that much cutting and then welding to since most of the uniframe on a KK is HSS which should not be welded to as it weakins it greatly.

But good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.